Day in and day out know about the Pygmalion effect? The Pygmalion effect that we are going to talk about
日复一日地研究皮格马利翁效应?我们下周或再下周会探讨
Next week or the week after, shows how teachers' expectations are self fulfilling prophecies.
皮格马利翁效应说明为什么教师的期望就是自我实现的预言
And if we have high expectations, if we see the seed of greatness in the students,
如果我们有很高的期望如果我们在学生身上看到伟大的潜能
That seed of greatness is more likely to flourish. Or if we don't appreciate it,
那么这种潜能就更可能被激发或者 如果我们看不到这潜能
It will depreciate wither and die. How many teachers know about these studies?
它就会像刚萌芽的幼苗一样被扼杀有多少教师了解这些研究?
And how they create through their beliefs the self fulfilling prophecy when it comes to their students?
他们怎样通过自己的信念创造出自我实现的预言 来影响学生?
How many teachers know about Marva Collins? Every teacher in the world on the first day of teacher training
有多少教师了解Marva Collins?每个教师在第一次接受教师培训时
Need to learn about Marva Collins and Pygmalion effect. They don't do that.
需要了解Marva Collins和皮格马利翁效应但事实并非如此
How about this? Self esteem.
接下来谈自我尊重
How do you increase self esteem? If I have to do a poll here, most people,
你如何提升自尊?如果我在这里做一项民意调查 保证大多数人
Guaranteed, would say praise people. Praise people. Praise children.
会说通过赞美来提升赞美别人 赞美孩子
It will enhance their self esteem. Right. Partially right.
这将增强他们的自尊说对了一部分
And if it's taken as the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, it's detrimental.
如果把这当作全部的真理则是有害的
Because there is a lot of research that shows when we praise people indiscriminately,
因为有很多研究显示当我们不加区别地赞扬别人
We are actually in the long run potentially hurting them more than helping them,
我们实际上是在长期地默默地伤害他们 而非帮助他们