手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语演讲 > TED十佳演讲话题 > 正文

TED十佳演讲之寻找真理:我们的意识

来源:可可英语 编辑:max   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet
  


扫描二维码进行跟读打分训练

So I'm going to speak about a problem that I have and that's that I'm a philosopher.

让我从我的一个问题开始,那就是,我是一个哲学家。
When I go to a party and people ask me what do I do
当我参加派对时,人们问我,我是干什么的。
and I say, "I'm a professor," their eyes glaze over.
我说,“我是个教授”,他们一下就失去了兴趣。
When I go to an academic cocktail party
当我参加学术酒会时,
and there are all the professors around, they ask me what field I'm in
在场的都是教授,他们问我是做什么领域的。
and I say, "philosophy" -- their eyes glaze over.
我说,哲学--他们没了兴趣。
When I go to a philosopher's party
当我参加哲学派对时
and they ask me what I work on and I say, "consciousness,"
他们问我在研究什么,我说,意识,
their eyes don't glaze over -- their lips curl into a snarl.
他们就不仅仅是失去兴趣了--他们的嘴巴都拧成一团了。
And I get hoots of derision and cackles and growls
我还引来了阵阵嘲笑以及嘀咕,
because they think, "That's impossible! You can't explain consciousness."
因为他们觉得,“那是不可能的!你没法解释意识。”
The very chutzpah of somebody thinking
这是太放肆大胆的想法
that you could explain consciousness is just out of the question.
意识是不可能被解释的
My late, lamented friend Bob Nozick, a fine philosopher,
我已故的,令人惋惜的朋友 Bob Nozick,一位极好的哲学家
in one of his books, "Philosophical Explanations,"
在他的著作《哲学解释》中
is commenting on the ethos of philosophy -- the way philosophers go about their business.
评论了哲学的精神--也就是哲学家行事的方法。

我们的意识

And he says, you know, "Philosophers love rational argument."

他说,你知道,“哲学家热爱合理的论点。”
And he says, "It seems as if the ideal argument for most philosophers is you give your audience the premises
他还说,“看起来好像对于多数哲学家,理想的论证是向观众提出前提,
and then you give them the inferences and the conclusion,
然后给出推理和结论,
and if they don't accept the conclusion, they die. Their heads explode."
如果听众不接受那个结论,他们就死了。他们脑子坏了。”
The idea is to have an argument that is so powerful that it knocks out your opponents.
这种想法是要有一个论点强到可以直接压倒对方。
But in fact that doesn't change people's minds at all.
但事实上这丝毫没有改变人们的想法。
It's very hard to change people's minds about something like consciousness,
人们的想法是非常难以改变的,特别是在类似意识这样的事情上,
and I finally figured out the reason for that.
后来我终于发现了原因所在。
The reason for that is that everybody's an expert on consciousness.
原因就是,每个人都是意识的专家。
We heard the other day that everybody's got a strong opinion about video games.
我们经常能听到人们对于电子游戏都有鲜明的个人观点
They all have an idea for a video game, even if they're not experts.
每个人都有自己对电子游戏的看法,尽管他们不是专家。
But they don't consider themselves experts on video games; they've just got strong opinions.
他们也没有把自己看做电子游戏专家,他们只是有着强烈的看法。
I'm sure that people here who work on, say, climate change and global warming,
我非常确定在座的各位中,从事,比如气候变化和全球变暖的,
or on the future of the Internet,
或者因特网的前景的,
encounter people who have very strong opinions about what's going to happen next.
就各自领域未来这一问题会遇到很多有鲜明观点的人。
But they probably don't think of these opinions as expertise.
但是或许他们并没有把这些想法当作专业知识
They're just strongly held opinions.
他们仅仅是有着鲜明的观点。
But with regard to consciousness, people seem to think,
但是说到意识,人们似乎觉得
each of us seems to think, "I am an expert.
我们每个人好像都觉得,“我是个专家。
Simply by being conscious, I know all about this."
就因为我是有意识的,所以我对意识全知全解。”
And so, you tell them your theory and they say,
所以,当你告诉他们你的理论时,他们会说,
"No, no, that's not the way consciousness is!
“不对,不对,意识不是那样的!
No, you've got it all wrong."
不对,你全搞错了。”
And they say this with an amazing confidence.
而且他们说的时候,还带着一种令人惊讶的自信。
And so what I'm going to try to do today is to shake your confidence.
而我今天想要做的就是要动摇你们的信心。
Because I know the feeling -- I can feel it myself.
因为我很清楚这种感觉——我自己就能感觉到。
I want to shake your confidence that you know your own innermost minds
我想要动摇你们对了解自身最深处想法的信心
that you are, yourselves, authoritative about your own consciousness.
那种你主宰了自己意识的信心。
That's the order of the day here.
这就是今天的议程。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
philosophical [.filə'sɔfikəl]

想一想再看

adj. 哲学的,冷静的,哲学上的

 
conscious ['kɔnʃəs]

想一想再看

adj. 神志清醒的,意识到的,自觉的,有意的

联想记忆
global ['gləubəl]

想一想再看

adj. 全球性的,全世界的,球状的,全局的

联想记忆
derision [di'riʒən]

想一想再看

n. 嘲笑,笑柄

 
confidence ['kɔnfidəns]

想一想再看

adj. 骗得信任的
n. 信任,信心,把握

联想记忆
consciousness ['kɔnʃəsnis]

想一想再看

n. 意识,知觉,自觉,觉悟

联想记忆
expertise [.ekspə:'ti:z]

想一想再看

n. 专家的意见,专门技术

联想记忆
academic [.ækə'demik]

想一想再看

adj. 学术的,学院的,理论的
n.

 
impossible [im'pɔsəbl]

想一想再看

adj. 不可能的,做不到的
adj.

联想记忆
glaze [gleiz]

想一想再看

v. 装以玻璃,上釉,变得光滑,变呆滞 n. 釉,覆罩的

联想记忆

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。