Ever since we humans have been able to scan the heavens,
自从我们人类可以靠近天穹
we've been looking for signs of intelligent life like us,up there in space.
我们就一直在太空里寻找 像自己一样的智慧生物
This array of radio telescopes in America has been part of that search.
这些位于美国的无线电望远镜 就是这种探索的一部分
These telescopes can see deep into space.
这些望远镜可以看到太空深处
But, so far, we haven't found anything.
但是目前为止我们什么都没有发现
Now it could be that we've not been looking for long enough
现在也许我们寻找的还不够久
or in the right part of space,but there is another possibility.
也许找错了地方 但是还有一种可能
Perhaps we haven't found any signs of life because there's simply nothing out there.
那就是我们没有找到其它生物的原因是 它们根本就不存在
It's hard to believe that we might be on our own.
相信我们是唯一的生物很难
After all, there are billions of stars in our own galaxy,the Milky Way.
毕竟我们自己的银河系就有几十亿星球 我们的银河系
And the Milky Way is just one of billions of galaxies.
而宇宙中有几十亿个银河系
You'd think there must be other Earths out there, just like ours.
你会觉得也许太空里有其它的地球就像我们的一样
Capable of supporting life just like us.
能够支撑我们这样的生命