Hello there. Like a ride?
哈啰,想搭一程吗?
What do you think?
你说呢?
How far are you going?
你到多远的地方去?
Where do you want to go?
你想去哪儿?
Amarillo, Texas.
得克萨斯州阿马里洛。
I'll drive you there.
我载你去。
Gee, mind if I take off my shoes?
太好了,你介意我脱下鞋子吗?
My dogs are killing me.
我的脚疼死我了。
Go right ahead.
不要紧,你脱吧。
Oh, gee, what a break this is.
哦,哇,我的运气真好!
Hitchhike much?
常搭便车?
Sure. Only it's tough sometimes in these great open spaces to get the breaks.
是的,不过在这大平原地带,有时运气较差。
Yeah, I should think it would be, though I'll bet you get a good pickup in a fast car.
哎呀,我想也是,不过我想你一定可以搭到更快的便车。
If you did, you could get to places faster than, say another person in another car, couldn’t you?
如果那样的话,就可以比另一个人开的另一部车子还要快,你说是不?
I don’t get you.
我不懂你说什么。
Well, take me for instance.
这样,就以我来说吧。
Suppose I’m driving across the country, at a nice steady clip of about forty-five miles an hour.
假设我开车穿过乡村地带,以每小时约四十五英里的平稳速度前进。
Couldn't, a girl like you, just standing beside the road waiting for lifts, beat me to town, or any town, perhaps she got picked up every time in a car doing from sixty-five to seventy miles an hour?
像你这样的一个女孩,站在路边想搭便车,也许每次搭上的都是那些车速每小时六十五至七十英里的车子,一下子就赶过我?
I don’t know. What difference does it make?
我不知道,那有什么差别吗?
Oh, no difference. It’s just a crazy idea I had sitting here in the car.
哦,没什么差别。那只是我坐在车里突发的一个奇怪想法。
Oh, ha, ha, imagine spending your time in a swell car thinkig of things like that.
哦,哈,哈,可以想像你坐在一辆时髦的车子 II,出现那样的怪想法。
What would you do instead?
如果是你的话,你会怎样?
What would I do? If I were a good-lookin’fellow like yourself, why, l'd just enjoy myself every minute of the time.
我会怎样?如果我是你的话,一个英俊的小伙子,我会时时刻刻享受人生。
I'd sit back and relax and if I saw a good-lookin girl along the side of the road, Hey! Look out!
我会坐得舒服,放轻松,如果路上看到漂亮女孩的话,嘿!小心!
Did you see him too?
你也看到他了?
See who?
看到谁?
That man! Standing beside the barbed-wire fence!
那个家伙!站在铁丝网围篱旁。
I didn't see anybody.
我没看到任何入。
It was noth-in,but a bunch of cows and the wire fence.
什么都没看到,只看到一群母牛和铁丝网围篱。
No?
没有吗?
What'd you think you was doin'tryin to run into the barbed-wire fence?
你到底在干什么?想去撞铁丝网围篱?
There was a man there I tell you!
我跟你说,那里有个人!
A thin, gray man with an overnight bag in his hand.
一个苍白、细瘦的家伙,手上提一个旅行袋。
Uh, I, I was trying to run him down.
嗯,我,我想撞死他。
Run him down? You mean kill him?
撞死他?你是说杀了他?
So you didn’t see him back there. You sure?
所以你没看到他,你确定?
I didn’t see a soul. And as far as that's concerned.
我连个鬼影子也没看见,就是那样.
Watch for him the next time and keep watching.
下次留意看他,特别留意。
Keep your eyes peeled on the road.
尤其是马路。
He'll turn up again. Maybe any minute now. There, right there!
他还会再出现,随时都有可能。那里,就在那里!