手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语演讲 > TED十佳演讲话题 > 正文

TED十佳演讲之什么是爱:玩转婚恋网(2)

来源:可可英语 编辑:max   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet
  


扫描二维码进行跟读打分训练

So I just copied and pasted from my resume.

所以我直接把简历,复制粘贴上去
So in the descriptive part up top,
上面,描述部分
I said that I was an award-winning journalist
我说我是,获奖记者
and a future thinker.
和未来思考者
When I was asked about fun activities and
让我描述兴趣爱好和理想人选
my ideal date, I said monetization
我填了,赚钱
and fluency in Japanese.
和日语流利
I talked a lot about JavaScript.
还写了很多关于,网页编码的内容
So obviously this was not the best way
这一步,
to put my most sexy foot forward.
走得确实不太优雅
But the real failure was that
最根本的问题是
there were plenty of men for me to date.
还是有很多男士,和我约会
These algorithms had a sea full of men
配对公式,为我找到一大批男士
that wanted to take me out on lots of dates --
他们不断约我--
what turned out to be truly awful dates.
可结果却特别糟糕
There was this guy Steve, the I.T. guy.
其中有一位,叫史蒂夫的技术男
The algorithm matched us up
配对公式,发现我们都对小玩意着迷
because we share a love of gadgets,
配对公式,发现我们都对小玩意着迷
we share a love of math and data and '80s music,
我们是数学迷,数据迷,还是80年代歌迷
and so I agreed to go out with him.
我同意见他
So Steve the I.T. guy invited me out
然后这位技术男,带我到
to one of Philadelphia's white-table-cloth,
费城一家,
extremely expensive restaurants.
特别高消费的西餐厅
And we went in, and right off the bat,
刚到,我们就发现
our conversation really wasn't taking flight,
谈得,不太有意思
but he was ordering a lot of food.
但他,点了很多吃的
In fact, he didn't even bother looking at the menu.
他餐牌都,不用看
He was ordering multiple appetizers,
就点了几份,开胃菜
multiple entres, for me as well,
几份主食,还帮我点了
and suddenly there are piles and piles of food on our table,
忽然间,桌上堆满了大盘小盘吃的
also lots and lots of bottles of wine.
还有,很多很多瓶酒
So we're nearing the end of our conversation
在我们,谈得差不多
and the end of dinner, and I've decided
晚餐也,接近尾声的时候
Steve the I.T. guy and I are really just not meant for each other,
我确信和技术男,并非天生一对
but we'll part ways as friends,
但再见,还可以是朋友
when he gets up to go to the bathroom,
他去趟,洗手间
and in the meantime the bill comes to our table.
帐单也来了
And listen, I'm a modern woman.
看,我是现代女性
I am totally down with splitting the bill.
平分帐单完全没问题
But then Steve the I.T. guy didn't come back.
但,技术男却没回来
And that was my entire month's rent.
而那是我,整整一个月的房租
So needless to say, I was not having a good night.
不用说,我那天晚上很不好受
So I run home, I call my mother, I call my sister,
跑回家之后,我打电话找妈妈,找姐姐
and as I do, at the end of each one of these
每一次经历这些,糟糕至极的约会之后
terrible, terrible dates,
我都会,打给她们
I regale them with the details.
我披露,每一个细节
And they say to me,
之后,她们对我说
"Stop complaining."
“别抱怨了”
"You're just being too picky."
“你就是太挑”
So I said, fine, from here on out
我说,好吧,那以后
I'm only going on dates where I know
我只去,有无线网络的地方约会
that there's wi-fi, and I'm bringing my laptop.
要带上,手提电脑
I'm going to shove it into my bag,
把它,塞到袋子里
and I'm going to have this email template,
然后做一个,邮件模版
and I'm going to fill it out and collect information
把收集到的信息,填进去
on all these different data points during the date
一边约会,一边填
to prove to everybody that empirically,
用客观事实,向大家证实
these dates really are terrible.
这些约会,究竟有多糟糕
So I started tracking things like
我开始,记录那些
really stupid, awkward, sexual remarks;
无聊又尴尬的,性暗示语言
bad vocabulary;
不适当的用词
the number of times a man forced me to high-five him.
还有对方,逼我与他击掌的次数
So I started to crunch some numbers,
然后我开始,统计这些数据
and that allowed me to make some correlations.
并且找到,一些关联
So as it turns out,
我发现
for some reason, men who drink Scotch
不知为什么,喝苏格兰威士忌的男性
reference kinky sex immediately.
立马联想到,性怪癖
Well, it turns out that these
当然,不是说
probably weren't bad guys.
他们不好
There were just bad for me.
只是,不适合我
And as it happens, the algorithms that were setting us up,
同样,把我们凑到一起的,配对公式
they weren't bad either.
也不差
These algorithms were doing exactly
它们按预先设计好的,
what they were designed to do,
正常运行
which was to take our user-generated information,
用提取到的,用户信息
in my case, my resume,
比如,我的简历
and match it up with other people's information.
再和其他人的信息,配对
See, the real problem here is that,
可见,真正的问题是
while the algorithms work just fine,
虽然公式会按部就班
you and I don't, when confronted
我们却没有
with blank windows where we're supposed
当我们面对,空白栏
to input our information online.
填写,个人信息的地方
Very few of us have the ability
没有多少人
to be totally and brutally honest with ourselves.
可以赤裸裸地,描述完全真实的自己
The other problem is that these websites are asking us
另一个问题是,网站总爱问
questions like, are you a dog person or a cat person?
你喜欢猫还是喜欢狗?
Do you like horror films or romance films?
爱看惊悚片还是爱情片?之类的问题
I'm not looking for a pen pal.
我又不是来找笔友
I'm looking for a husband. Right?
我在找丈夫,对吧?
So there's a certain amount of superficiality in that data.
而这些数据,比较肤浅
So I said fine, I've got a new plan.
所以,我有个新计划
I'm going to keep using these online dating sites,
继续上,婚恋网
but I'm going to treat them as databases,
但只把它们当作,资料库
and rather than waiting for an algorithm to set me up,
而不是继续,被动地等公式配对
I think I'm going to try reverse-engineering this entire system.
我要把整个系统反过来,重新定义

重点单词   查看全部解释    
ordering ['ɔ:dəriŋ]

想一想再看

n. [计]定序;排序;订购 v. 命令;指挥;订购(o

 
conversation [.kɔnvə'seiʃən]

想一想再看

n. 会话,谈话

联想记忆
bother ['bɔðə]

想一想再看

v. 使恼怒,使不安,烦扰,费心
n. 烦扰,

联想记忆
certain ['sə:tn]

想一想再看

adj. 确定的,必然的,特定的
pron.

 
awkward ['ɔ:kwəd]

想一想再看

adj. 笨拙的,尴尬的,(设计)别扭的

 
resume [ri'zju:m]

想一想再看

v. 再继续,重新开始
n. 简历,履历; 摘

联想记忆
flight [flait]

想一想再看

n. 飞行,航班
n. 奇思妙想,一段楼

 
regale [ri'geil]

想一想再看

vt. 盛情招待 n. 款待

联想记忆
gadgets [gæ,dʒets]

想一想再看

n. 小配件;小工具(gadget的复数)

 
setting ['setiŋ]

想一想再看

n. 安装,放置,周围,环境,(为诗等谱写的)乐曲

 

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。