手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语演讲 > TED十佳演讲话题 > 正文

TED十佳演讲之2.0版城市:如何食用我们的地貌(1)

来源:可可英语 编辑:max   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet
  


扫描二维码进行跟读打分训练

The will to live life differently can start

想把生命活得与众不同的愿望
in some of the most unusual places.
能够在一些不平凡的地方实现
This is where I come from, Todmorden.
这是我的家乡,托德莫登
It's a market town in the north of England,
是英格兰北部的一个城镇
15,000 people, between Leeds and Manchester,
一万五千人口,在利兹和曼彻斯特之间
fairly normal market town.
相当普通的一个城镇
It used to look like this,
这个城镇过去是这样
and now it's more like this,
现在是这样
with fruit and veg and herbs sprouting up all over the place.
水果,蔬菜,草药四处生长
We call it propaganda gardening.
我们称之为宣传式园艺
Corner row railway, station car park,
铁道角落,车站停车场
front of a health center, people's front gardens,
健康中心门口,居民住处门口的花园
and even in front of the police station.
甚至在警察局门口都有
We've got edible canal towpaths,
我们有“可食用“的运河纤道
and we've got sprouting cemeteries.
我们有发芽中的墓地
The soil is extremely good.
土壤相当好
We've even invented a new form of tourism.
我们甚至兴起了另一种形式的旅游
It's called vegetable tourism, and believe it or not,
叫做蔬菜旅游,信不信由你
people come from all over the world to poke around in our raised beds,
来自世界各地的人们在我们的沃土闲逛
even when there's not much growing.
尽管有些地方不怎么长植物
But it starts a conversation.
但这引发了探讨
And, you know, we're not doing it because we're bored.
你懂的,我们不做是因为我们已经腻烦了
We're doing it because we want to start a revolution.
而我们做是因为我们要开启一场新的革命
We tried to answer this simple question:
我们试图回答这个简单的问题
Can you find a unifying language that cuts across age
你能找到一种统一的语言,即使跨越时代
and income and culture that will help people themselves
收入和文化却仍然能够帮助人们自己
find a new way of living,
找到一种新的生活方式
see spaces around them differently,
看看身边独特的空间
think about the resources they use differently,
想想人们别出心裁的,不同交流方式
interact differently?
的不同资源
Can we find that language?
我们能找到这种语言吗
And then, can we replicate those actions?
如果可以,我们能复制吗
And the answer would appear to be yes,
答案似乎是肯定的
and the language would appear to be food.
而且这种语言似乎就是食物
So, three and a half years ago, a few of us
三年半之前,我们中一些人
sat around a kitchen table and
坐在厨房餐桌旁边
we just invented the whole thing.
就这样创造了整套玩意
We came up with a really simple game plan that we put to a public meeting.
我们想到的一个相当简单易行的计划就公诸于众了
We did not consult. We did not write a report.
我们没有咨询专家,也没有写报告
Enough of all that.
受够那些了
And we said to that public meeting in Todmorden,
我们在托德莫登的一个公共会议上讲述了我们的计划
look, let's imagine that our town
接下来,我们想象下我们的城镇
is focused around three plates:
主要集中在三个板块
a community plate, the way we live our everyday lives;
社区,我们每天生存的地方
a learning plate, what we teach our kids in school
学习板块,我们教我们的孩子
and what new skills we share amongst ourselves;
和我们自我学习技能的地方
and business, what we do with the pound in our pocket
和商业区,我们用我们口袋里的英镑
and which businesses we choose to support.
来投资支持我们选择的生意的区域
Now, let's imagine those plates agitated
现在,我们一起想象下这些区域
with community actions around food.
都被围绕食物的社区行动关联起来
If we start one of those community plates spinning,
如果我们让其中一个板块行动起来
that's really great, that really starts to empower people,
这是相当好的,能够真正地鼓动人们
but if we can then spin that community plate
但如果我们能让一个社区板块带动
with the learning plate, and then spin it with the business plate,
学习板块,接而再带动商业板块
we've got a real show there, we've got some action theater.
我们已经开始了这场秀,我已经着手行动
We're starting to build resilience ourselves.
我们正开始自我适应
We're starting to reinvent community ourselves,
我们正开始重塑社区
and we've done it all without a flipping strategy document.
而且我们做的这些不依赖于任何一纸战略空文
And here's the thing as well.
同时我们也在这样开展
We've not asked anybody's permission to do this,
我们没有要求任何一个人的应允来做这件事
we're just doing it.
我们就是开始做了
And we are certainly not waiting for that check
我们在开始之前当然也没有等着
to drop through the letterbox before we start,
信箱里的支票
and most importantly of all, we are not daunted
最重要的是,我们也没有被
by the sophisticated arguments that say,
他们提及的敏感争论而吓倒
"These small actions are meaningless in the face of tomorrow's problems,"
"他们小小行动在未来要面临问题面前毫无意义"
because I have seen the power of small actions,
因为我们见过微小行动力量
and it is awesome.
很了不起
So, back to the public meeting.
好吧,回到公众会议
We put that proposition to the meeting, two seconds,
我们在会议上抛出了我们的提议,两秒钟后
and then the room exploded.
会议室爆棚了
I have never, ever experienced anything like that in my life.
在我生命中我从来没,从没体验过这样的事
And it's been the same in every single room, in every town
而且在每一个城镇的会议室中当我们讲述我们的故事时
that we've ever told our story.
都是一样的情景
People are ready and respond to the story of food.
人们已经准备好回应这个关于食物的故事了
They want positive actions they can engage in,
他们在骨子里想要他们参与的时候
and in their bones, they know it's time
有积极的行动,他们知道这是时候
to take personal responsibility
承担个人责任
and invest in more kindness to each other
把善意向彼此
and to the environment.
和环境中投入

重点单词   查看全部解释    
proposition [.prɔpə'ziʃən]

想一想再看

n. 建议,命题,主张
vt. 向 ... 提

 
unusual [ʌn'ju:ʒuəl]

想一想再看

adj. 不平常的,异常的

联想记忆
sophisticated [sə'fistikeitid]

想一想再看

adj. 诡辩的,久经世故的,精密的,老练的,尖端的

联想记忆
empower [im'pauə]

想一想再看

vt. 授与权力,增加自主权

联想记忆
canal [kə'næl]

想一想再看

n. 运河,沟渠,气管,食管
vt. 建运河,

 
extremely [iks'tri:mli]

想一想再看

adv. 极其,非常

联想记忆
revolution [.revə'lu:ʃən]

想一想再看

n. 革命,旋转,转数

联想记忆
daunted [dɔ:nt]

想一想再看

vt. 使气馁,使畏缩;威吓

 
agitated ['ædʒiteitid]

想一想再看

adj. 激动不安的,焦虑的 动词agitate的过去式

联想记忆
consult [kən'sʌlt]

想一想再看

v. 商讨,向 ... 请教,查阅

 

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。