Chapter 3
第三章
THE LAURISTON GARDEN MYSTERY
劳瑞斯顿花园街的惨案
I CONFESS that I was considerably startled by this fresh proof of the practical nature of my companion's theories.
我同伴的理论的实践性又一次得到了证明。我承认,
My respect for his powers of analysis increased wondrously.
这确实使我大吃一惊,因此我对他的分析能力也就更加钦佩了。
There still remained some lurking suspicion in my mind, however,
但是在我心中仍然潜藏着某些怀疑,
that the whole thing was a prearranged episode, intended to dazzle me,
唯恐这是他事先布置好的圈套,打算捉弄我一下;
though what earthly object he could have in taking me in was past my comprehension.
至于捉弄我的目的何在,我就不能理解了。
When I looked at him, he had finished reading the note,
当我瞧着他的时候,他已读完来信,
and his eyes had assumed the vacant, lack-lustre expression which showed mental abstraction.
两眼茫然出神,若有所思。
"How in the world did you deduce that?" I asked.
我问道:"你怎么推断出来的呢?"
"Deduce what?" said he, petulantly.
他粗声粗平地问道:"推断什么?"
"Why, that he was a retired sergeant of Marines."
"嗯,你怎么知道他是个退伍的海军陆战队的军曹呢?"
"I have no time for trifles," he answered, brusquely;
"我没有工夫谈这些琐碎的事,"他粗鲁地回答说,
then with a smile, "Excuse my rudeness. You broke the thread of my thoughts; but perhaps it is as well.
然后又微笑着说,"请原谅我的无礼。你把我的思路打断了,但这不要紧。
So you actually were not able to see that that man was a sergeant of Marines?"
那么说,你真的看不出他曾是个海军陆战队的军曹吗?"
"No, indeed."
"真的看不出。"
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it.
"了解这件事是比较容易的,可是要说明我怎样了解它的,却不是那么简单。
If you were asked to prove that two and two made four, you might find some difficulty,
如果要你证明二加二等于四,你不免要觉得有些困难了,
and yet you are quite sure of the fact.
然而你却知道这是无可怀疑的事实。
Even across the street I could see a great blue anchor tattooed on the back of the fellow's hand.
我隔着一条街就看见这个人手背上刺着一只蓝色大锚,这是海员的特征。
That smacked of the sea. He had a military carriage, however, and regulation side whiskers.
况且他的举止又颇有军人品概,留着军人式的络腮胡子;因此,我们就可以说,他是个海军陆战队员。
There we have the marine. He was a man with some amount of self-importance and a certain air of command.
他的态度有些自高自大,而且带有一些发号施令的神气。
You must have observed the way in which he held his head and swung his cane.
你一定也看到他那副昂首挥杖的姿态了吧。
A steady, respectable, middle-aged man, too, on the face of him---all facts which led me to believe that he had been a sergeant."
从他的外表上看来,他又是一个既稳健而又庄重的中年人---所以根据这些情况,我就相信他当过军曹。"
"Wonderful!" I ejaculated.
我情不自禁地喊道:"妙极了!"
"Commonplace," said Holmes,
"这也平淡无奇,"福尔摩斯说。
though I thought from his expression that he was pleased at my evident surprise and admiration.
但是,从他的脸上的表情看来,我认为他见到我十分惊讶、并且流露出钦佩的神情,他也感到很高兴。
"I said just now that there were no criminals. It appears that I am wrong---look at this!"
"我刚才还说没有罪犯,看来我是说错了---看看这个!"
He threw me over the note which the commissionaire had brought.
他说着就把送来的那封短信扔到我的面前。
"Why," I cried, as I cast my eye over it, "this is terrible!"
"哎呀,"我草草地看了一下,不由地叫了起来,"这真可怕!"
"It does seem to be a little out of the common," he remarked, calmly.
他很镇静地说:"这件事看来确实不寻常。
"Would you mind reading it to me aloud?"
请你大声地把信给我念一念好吗?"
This is the letter which I read to him,
下面就是我念给他听的那封信:
"MY DEAR MR.S HERLOCK HOLMES:
亲爱的福尔摩斯先生:
"There has been a bad business during the night at 3, Lauriston Gardens, off the Brixton Road.
昨夜,在布瑞克斯顿路的尽头、劳瑞斯顿花园街3号发生了一件凶杀案。
Our man on the beat saw a light there about two in the morning,
今晨两点钟左右,巡逻警察忽见该处有灯光,
and as the house was an empty one, suspected that something was amiss.
因素悉该房无人居住,故而怀疑出了什么差错。
He found the door open, and in the front room, which is bare of furniture,
该巡警发现房门大开,前室空无一物,
discovered the body of a gentleman, well dressed, and having cards in his pocket bearing the name of 'Enoch J. Drebber,Cleveland,Ohio,U.S.A.'
中有男尸一具。该尸衣着齐整,袋中装有名片,上有"伊瑙克·锥伯,美国俄亥俄州克利夫兰城人"等字样。
There had been no robbery, nor is there any evidence as to how the man met his death.
既无被抢劫迹象,亦未发现任何能说明致死原因之证据。
There are marks of blood in the room, but there is no wound upon his person.
屋中虽有几处血迹,但死者身上并无伤痕。
We are at a loss as to how he came into the empty house; indeed, the whole affair is a puzzler.
死者如何进入空屋,我们百思莫解,深感此案棘手之至。
If you can come round to the house any time before twelve, you will find me there.
至希在十二时以前惠临该处,我将在此恭候。
I have left everything in statu quo until I hear from you.
在接奉回示前,现场一切均将保持原状。
If you are unable to come, I shall give you fuller details,
如果不能莅临,亦必将详情奉告,
and would esteem it a great kindness if you would favour me with your opinions.
倘蒙指教,则不胜感荷之至。
"Yours faithfully,TOBIAS GREGSON."
特白厄斯·葛莱森上。