"How is my son, Maester?" Catelyn looked at all the food and found she had no appetite.
“师傅,我儿怎么样了?”凯特琳望望眼前的丰盛食物,却毫无胃口。
Maester Luwin lowered his eyes. "Unchanged, my lady."
鲁温学士低头:“夫人,病情没有变化。”
It was the reply she had expected, no more and no less. Her hands throbbed with pain, as if the blade were still in her, cutting deep.
这正是她原本预期的答案,不多也不少。她的手伤隐隐作痛,仿佛利刃仍存,越割越深。
She sent the servants away and looked back to Robb. "Do you have the answer yet?"
她遣走仆人,回头看着罗柏。“你有答案了吗?”
"Someone is afraid Bran might wake up," Robb said, "afraid of what he might say or do, afraid of something he knows."
“因为他害怕布兰会醒来,”罗柏道,“害怕他醒来后会说的话或会做的事,害怕他所知道的情况。”
Catelyn was proud of him. "Very good." She turned to the new captain of the guard.
凯特琳替他骄傲。“很好。”她转向新任侍卫队长。
"We must keep Bran safe. If there was one killer, there could be others."
“所谓有一就有二,我们得好好保护布兰。”
"How many guards do you want, m'lady?" Hal asked.
“夫人,您要多少守卫?”哈尔问。
"So long as Lord Eddard is away, my son is the master of Winterfell," she told him.
“如今艾德大人不在,我儿就是临冬城主。”她告诉他。
Robb stood a little taller. "Put one man in the sickroom, night and day, one outside the door, two at the bottom of the stairs.
罗柏昂首道:“派一个人守在房里,一个守在门外,不分昼夜,下面楼梯口再派两个。
No one sees Bran without my warrant or my mother's."
未经我或我母亲的许可,谁也不准接近布兰。”
"As you say, m'lord."
“是的,大人。”
"Do it now," Catelyn suggested.
“现在就去办。”凯特琳提议。
"And let his wolf stay in the room with him," Robb added.
“让他的狼也待在房里陪他。”罗柏又补了一句。
"Yes," Catelyn said. And then again: "Yes."
“对,”凯特琳说,然后又重复了一遍,“这样很好。”
Hallis Mollen bowed and left the room.
哈里斯·莫兰点头行礼后离开房间。
"Lady Stark," Ser Rodrik said when the guardsman had gone, "did you chance to notice the dagger the killer used?"
“史塔克夫人,”侍卫队长离开后,罗德利克爵士问,“您有否注意到刺客行凶用的匕首?”
"The circumstances did not allow me to examine it closely, but I can vouch for its edge," Catelyn replied with a dry smile. "Why do you ask?"
“当时我无暇细看,不过它的锋利我可以确定。”凯特琳苦笑着回答。“为何问这个?”
"We found the knife still in the villain's grasp.
“刺客死时手里还握着那把匕首。
It seemed to me that it was altogether too fine a weapon for such a man, so I looked at it long and hard.
我觉得以他的身份地位不足以使用这么精良的武器,所以花了很长的时间仔细研究。
The blade is Valyrian steel, the hilt dragonbone. A weapon like that has no business being in the hands of such as him. Someone gave it to him."
刀刃乃是瓦雷利亚钢打造,刀柄的材质则是龙骨。这样的武器不可能出现在他手中,一定是有人交给他的。”
Catelyn nodded, thoughtful. "Robb, close the door."
凯特琳颔首沉吟。“罗柏,把门关上。”
He looked at her strangely, but did as she told him.
他眼神怪异地看了看她,随即照办。
"What I am about to tell you must not leave this room," she told them. "I want your oaths on that.
“当下我要告诉你们的事,绝对不许外传。”她对他们说,“我需要你们宣誓守密。
If even part of what I suspect is true, Ned and my girls have ridden into deadly danger, and a word in the wrong ears could mean their lives."
我的怀疑只要有任何一部份属实,那么奈德和我的女儿们便是身陷险境,消息一旦走漏很可能就会要他们的命。”
"Lord Eddard is a second father to me," said Theon Greyjoy. "I do so swear."
“艾德大人待我恩如生父,”葛雷乔伊道,“我誓不泄漏今日所闻。”
"You have my oath," Maester Luwin said.
“我发誓守密。”鲁温学士说。
"And mine, my lady," echoed Ser Rodrik.
“夫人,我也是。”罗德利克爵士应道。
She looked at her son. "And you, Robb?"
她望望儿子。“罗柏,你呢?”
He nodded his consent.
他点点头。