"Aren't you going to put on your seat belt?"
“你不打算系上你的安全带吗?”
He threw me a disbelieving look.
他用质疑的眼神看着我。
Then something sunk in.
然后某件事闯入了我的脑海。
"Run the whole way? As in, we're still going to run part of the way?" My voice edged up a few octaves.
“一路上都用跑的?这就是说,我们还得跑上一段路吗?”我的声音不知不觉提高了八个音阶。
He grinned tightly. "You're not going to run."
他紧张地咧嘴一笑。“你不必跑。”
"I'm going to be sick."
“我会晕过去的。”
"Keep your eyes closed, you'll be fine."
“把眼睛闭上,你会没事的。”
I bit my lip, fighting the panic.
我咬住唇,竭力抑制住恐惧。
He leaned over to kiss the top of my head, and then groaned. I looked at him, puzzled.
他侧过身来,吻了吻我的头顶,然后叹息起来。我困惑地看着他。
"You smell so good in the rain," he explained.
“雨里的你闻起来很不错。”他解释道。
"In a good way, or in a bad way?" I asked cautiously.
“这是好事,还是坏事?”我谨慎地问道。
He sighed. "Both, always both."
他叹了口气。“两者都有,通常都是两者都有。”
I don't know how he found his way in the gloom and downpour, but he somehow found a side road that was less of a road and more of a mountain
path. For a long while conversation was impossible, because I was bouncing up and down on the seat like a jackhammer. He seemed to enjoy the ride, though, smiling hugely the whole way.
我不知道他是怎么在一片黑暗和倾盆大雨里找着路的,但他终究找到了一条辅路,与其说是马路,不如说是山间小路。有很长一段时间我们根本没办法谈话,因为我一直像只手提钻一样在座位上弹上弹下。不过,他似乎很喜欢在这样的路上开车,一路上他都在大笑着。
And then we came to the end of the road; the trees formed green walls on three sides of the Jeep. The rain was a mere drizzle, slowing every second, the sky brighter through the clouds.
然后,我们到达了路的尽头。树木筑成了绿色的藩篱,围绕在越野车的三侧。雨每一秒都在减弱,已经变成了一种毛毛细雨,云层后的天空变得稍微明亮些了。
"Sorry, Bella, we have to go on foot from here."
“抱歉,贝拉,从这里开始我们就得走过去了。”
"You know what? I'll just wait here."
“你知道我怎么打算吗?我会在这里等你。”
"What happened to all your courage? You were extraordinary this morning."
“你的勇气都到哪里去了?今天早上你还特别勇敢的。”
《暮光之城》
与图书题目相得益彰的是,“暮光之城”系列别具匠心的封面设计则很好地传达出了每本书内在的深远寓意。斯蒂芬妮·梅尔指出《暮色》封面上的苹果代表“创世纪” 内善恶树上的禁果。象征贝拉和爱德华之间人类与吸血鬼禁忌的爱恋。在书的开头引用了“创世纪”217页的内容:“只是分别善恶树上的果子,你不可吃,因为你吃的日子必定死。”这同时也代表了贝拉如何分辨善恶——选择是否吃下那颗禁忌的果实,这比喻了选择跟爱德华在一起或远离他。