YAEL:Welcome to A Moment of Science, the popular science radio show that's both fun and informative.
雅艾尔:欢迎收听既有趣又增进知识的科普广播节目科学时刻。
Today's Topic on Moment of Science is:You're Fired.
今天节目的话题是:你被解雇了。
Hey, did I read that right?
嘿,我这样读对吗?
DON:Yep. You're fired. How do you feel?
唐:没错。你被解雇了。你感觉如何?
YAEL:Waddaya mean, how do I feel?
雅艾尔:伙计,你的意思是我的感觉?
DON:I mean, do you feel less healthy than before I fired you?
唐:我的意思是你觉得自己比我解雇你之前健康指数下降了吗?
How's your weight? What about your cholesterol rate?
你的体重如何?你的胆固醇率如何?
YAEL:Okay, okay . . .this is one of your set-ups.
雅艾尔:好吧,好吧。。。原来是你的小计俩。
I'm not really fired, am I?
我不是真的被开除吧?
DON:Well, no. It's all a cruel ploy to get me to today's subject . . . which is that job insecurity can affect your health.
唐:嗯,肯定不会。这都是为了引出我今天的主题…即工作的不安全感可以影响你的健康。
YAEL:Yeah. It just about gave me a heart attack.
雅艾尔:是的。刚刚那条噩耗差点让我心脏病发作。
DON:A study in the American Journal of Public Health shows that heart attacks are no joke for people who suspect they are going to be laid off.
唐:一项刊登在《美国公共卫生杂志》的研究表明对于那些忧心忡忡自己会被解雇的人来说,心脏病可不是闹着玩的。
Over four years, a study group with imperiled jobs was found to have a forty to sixty percent greater occurrence of heart disease than a control group whose jobs were secure.
小组经过4年的研究发现,相比那些工作稳定之人,陷入危机的人心脏病发作的几率要高百分之四十至六十。
And that's not all.
而且还不止这些。
People in insecure jobs also gained weight, overslept, tended to avoid exercise, and had higher cholesterol rates.
工作不稳定的人还容易体重增加,失眠,总是拒绝运动,进而胆固醇偏高。
YAEL:Wow. I guess the shaky economy hurts everything. Even our bodies!
雅艾尔:哇。我想经济不稳定会有害于一切。甚至是人们的身体!
DON:Even our bodies.
唐:是的,甚至是我们的身体。