Oh we are experimenting at carbon fiber, carbon nanotubes so as to make them lighter, stronger and faster.
欧,我们正在用碳化纤维做实验,以便使喷气背包变得更轻,更强,更快。
Jet turbines have become more efficient and lighter and more powerful.
喷气涡轮已经变得更高效,更轻便,更加强大。
Strapping on a jetpack would be like strapping yourself to front of a Coupe van,
背上喷气背包飞行,就像是在你背后绑上了一辆跑车,
because it is like putting 800 horsepower attached to your body.
因为这就像是把800马力赋在你身体里。
A jetpack is actually a hydrogen peroxide rocket.
喷气背包实际上就是一个过氧化氢火箭。
When hydrogen peroxide comes in contact with silver, it creates super heated steam.
当过氧化氢与银接触就会发生反应,生成大量的热蒸汽。
Powerful enough to launch you skyward.
其能量之大足以将你发射到天空。
The problem is today’s jetpacks can fly for only 45 seconds before running out of fuel.
问题是如今的喷气背包在燃料用尽之前只能飞行45秒,
But tomorrow’s jetrockets will be far more practical.
但是未来的喷气背包将远比现在实用。
We are going to a turbine system, our flight times will get up to 5 minutes as a main goal.
我们将采用汽轮机系统,这样我们飞行的时间就能达到5分钟,这是我们的主要目标。
Five-minute flight right now will take you probably from Boulder to Denver which is approximately 20 miles.
飞行五分钟的路程大约有20英里,相当于从博尔德到丹佛。
And then hopefully in the future it will go a lot further and a lot longer than that.
未来很有可能飞得更远,比现在远得多。
Twenty-two-minute flight could take you from, an example would be, Fort Collins to Denver which will be a 65-mile flight.
飞行20分钟的路程大约是65英里,相当于从柯林斯堡到丹佛。
In the future, I can see people buying jetpacks to commute back and forth to work 'cause it is so much easier.
在将来,人们会买喷气背包,乘它来上下班,因为这更方便。
You don't have to worry about the traffic;
你就再不必担心交通拥堵,
and you can fly directly from work to your yard, almost like you had a helicopter.
而且你可以从公司直接飞到家里的花园里,就像你有一架直升飞机一样。
Right now jetpacks are for daredevils. They fly below parachute height.
目前,喷气背包只适用于敢铤而走险的人。他们在低于降落伞的高度上飞行。
So if they malfunction, you risk certain death. Controlling this personal rockets is also a challenge.
万一遇到降落伞失灵,那么就会必死无疑。控制这单人喷气背包也是一大挑战。
But Strauss and Widgery believe these problems will soon be solved. And all of us will be taken to the air.
但Strauss 和Widgery相信,这些问题都将很快得到解决。所有人都能被带到天上。
The feeling of flying this machine is like jump off the ground and not have to come back down.
驾驶这种机器感觉就像是从地面跳起,但不会落下来。
But jetpacks won’t come cheap. Their expected price, 226,000 dollars, including training.
然而喷气背包可不便宜。算上培训费的话,一套装置有望要价22万6千美元。
You know in 30 years you could probably get one 50-60 grand like you picked up a Hummer or a Mercedes for.
要知道,30年后你可能只花5到6万美元就能买到悍马或者奔驰。
And it would be a lot cooler on the way to work for sure.
毫无疑问,用那种方式上班会更酷一些。
原文译文属可可原创,未经允许请勿转载!