手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 托福 > 托福听力 > 托福听力真题听写 > 正文

托福TPO-34 Conversation 2

编辑:liekkas   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet
  
  • Listen to a conversation between a student and her creative writing professor.
  • 听一段学生和创意写作课教授的对话。
  • Hello. Professor Thomson. Could I talk to you for a minute?
  • 汤姆森教授,你好。我能跟你聊一会儿吗?
  • Oh. Hi. Laura. We missed you last class.
  • 噢,你好,劳拉。上节课你没来。
  • Yeah. I was sick for a few days. Um...I was wondering...did I miss a lot of work?
  • 对,我病了好几天。我想知道……我是不是落下了很多功课?
  • Let's see... well, we discussed the story that you have been assigned to read for class. A Memory by Eudora Welty.
  • 让我想想……我们已经讨论了那篇布置给你们阅读的文章了。尤多拉·韦尔蒂的《回忆》。
  • And then we listened to a recording of an interview with Welty. The recording is on reserve at the library.
  • 然后我们听了一段采访韦尔蒂的录音。录音存在图书馆。
  • You'll need to listen to it. So... did you have a chance to read the story?
  • 你要听一听。你有时间阅读那篇故事吗?
  • Yeah. I did.
  • 我读了。
  • What did you think?
  • 你觉得怎么样?
  • Well... I was a little surprised. I mean, the first time I read it anyway.
  • 我有点惊讶。至少在我第一次看的时候。
  • What surprised you?
  • 什么让你感到惊讶?
  • You know, it just seemed like there was nothing going on in the story.
  • 你知道的,故事里看起来就好像什么事都没发生。
  • I mean, a girl is just sitting at the beach thinking about one of her memories.
  • 我是指,不过是个女孩儿坐在沙滩上回忆过去。
  • And at the same time, she is watching other bathers on the beach,
  • 同时她也在看沙滩上其他在晒日光浴的人,
  • and sort of just thinking about what they are doing too. And that's all that happens!
  • 在思考他们正在干什么。这就是故事全部!
  • So at the end of the story, I thought, that's it? !
  • 所以,看到故事结尾,我就想,这就没了?
  • I know what you mean.
  • 我明白你的意思。
  • There's no surprise ending like in O.Henry's story The Gift of the Magi or some big adventure like in Faulkner's The Bear.
  • 这里面没有像欧·亨利的《麦琪的礼物》一样出乎意料的结局,也没有和福克纳的《熊》一般刺激的冒险。
  • So you didn't like the story?
  • 你不喜欢这个故事?
  • Well, actually, while I was reading it the second time,
  • 实际上,在我第二次读的时候,
  • I sort of realized that you don't need surprises or excitement to have a great story.
  • 我有点儿明白了,一个好故事不一定要出人意料或有刺激的情节。
  • The girl's memory and the stuff she was thinking about while she was watching the other people on the beach
  • 那个女孩儿看着沙滩上的其他人时,
  • were really interesting to read about.
  • 她的回忆和她思考的东西读起来都很有趣。
  • And you know, it made me think that when I write my story, the one we have to write for this class,
  • 这让我思考,当要我写自己的故事时(就是我们这门课要写的),
  • I can maybe use my own memories to get me started.
  • 也许我也能以自己的回忆开头。
  • Well, in fact, I'd hoped you'd see that. Of course, there are many levels to the story.
  • 事实上,我很希望你们能明白这一点。当然了,故事有很多层次。
  • But what I really wanted the class to take away from it was that
  • 但我真正希望班里同学从中吸收的是,
  • you don't need to write about the great exciting world when you write you stories.
  • 当你要写自己的故事时,你不一定要写非常精彩刺激的世界。
  • Even writing about a memory can work.
  • 哪怕写的是回忆,也能行得通。
  • Like I could write about one of the times I took a walk in the woods when I was a kid.
  • 就好像,我可以写小时候我在树林里散步。
  • Exactly! You know, as the due day of your stories approaches, I am hearing from a lot of students that they are worried
  • 正确!你知道,也快到你们要交文章的日子了,我从很多学生那儿听说,他们都很担心,
  • because they don't have anything exciting enough to write about.
  • 因为他们没有什么刺激的东西可写。
  • But Welty said in the interview we listened to and in her autobiography that her worst stories were the ones
  • 但韦尔蒂在我们听的采访里和她的自传里说了,她写得最糟糕的故事,
  • where she tried to write about people or places that were unfamiliar to her.
  • 都是自己不熟悉的人或地的故事。
  • That's why a lot of her stories are set in Mississippi, where she is from.
  • 这就是为什么她的故事大多发生于密西西西比,她的家乡。
  • Welty stressed that, for her anyway, familiarity with her subject matter was the key to a successful story.
  • 韦尔蒂强调,对她来说,对故事主题的熟悉程度是故事成功的关键。
  • Familiarity. That makes sense. Thanks Professor Thomson.
  • 熟悉程度。这很有道理。谢谢,汤姆森教授。
  • No problem. Now, don't forget to listen to that recording.
  • 没事。别忘了听那段录音。
  • What are the speakers mainly discussing?
  • 说话人主要谈论的是什么?
  • Why does the professor mention O.Henry's story, "The Gift of the Magi," and William Faulkner's story, "The Bear"?
  • 为什么教授要提及欧·亨利的故事,《麦琪的礼物》,和威廉·福克纳的故事《熊》?
  • Why does the woman mention walking in the woods?
  • 为什么那位女士提到了树林中散步?
  • What point does the professor make when he mentions the interview with Welty and her autobiography?
  • 教授在提及韦尔蒂的采访和自传时,他想表达什么观点?
  • What was the student's reaction to Welty's story after first reading it?
  • 当学生第一次读韦尔蒂的故事时,她是什么反应?


扫描二维码进行跟读打分训练

Listen to a conversation between a student and her creative writing professor.

听一段学生和创意写作课教授的对话。

Student: Hello. Professor Thomson.

汤姆森教授,你好。

Could I talk to you for a minute?

我能跟你聊一会儿吗?

Professor: Oh. Hi. Laura.

教授:噢,你好,劳拉。

We missed you last class.

上节课你没来。

Student: Yeah. I was sick for a few days.

对,我病了好几天。

Um...I was wondering... did I miss a lot of work?

我想知道……我是不是落下了很多功课?

Professor: Let's see... well, we discussed the story that you have been assigned to read for class.

教授:让我想想……我们已经讨论了那篇布置给你们阅读的文章了。

尤多拉·韦尔蒂.jpg

A Memory by Eudora Welty.

尤多拉·韦尔蒂的《回忆》。

And then we listened to a recording of an interview with Welty.

然后我们听了一段采访韦尔蒂的录音。

The recording is on reserve at the library.

录音存在图书馆。

You'll need to listen to it.

你要听一听。

So... did you have a chance to read the story?

你有时间阅读那篇故事吗?

Student: Yeah. I did.

学生:我读了。

Professor: What did you think?

教授:你觉得怎么样?

Student: Well... I was a little surprised.

学生:我有点惊讶。

I mean, the first time I read it anyway.

至少在我第一次看的时候。

Professor: What surprised you?

教授:什么让你感到惊讶?

Student: You know, it just seemed like there was nothing going on in the story.

学生:你知道的,故事里看起来就好像什么事都没发生。

I mean, a girl is just sitting at the beach thinking about one of her memories.

我是指,不过是个女孩儿坐在沙滩上回忆过去。

And at the same time, she is watching other bathers on the beach, and sort of just thinking about what they are doing too.

同时她也在看沙滩上其他在晒日光浴的人,在思考他们正在干什么。

And that's all that happens!

这就是故事全部!

So at the end of the story, I thought, that's it? !

所以,看到故事结尾,我就想,这就没了?

Professor: I know what you mean.

教授:我明白你的意思。

There's no surprise ending like in O.Henry's story The Gift of the Magi or some big adventure like in Faulkner's The Bear.

这里面没有像欧·亨利的《麦琪的礼物》一样出乎意料的结局,也没有和福克纳的《熊》一般刺激的冒险。

So you didn't like the story?

你不喜欢这个故事?

Student: Well, actually, while I was reading it the second time, I sort of realized that you don't need surprises or excitement to have a great story.

学生:实际上,在我第二次读的时候,我有点儿明白了,一个好故事不一定要出人意料或有刺激的情节。

The girl's memory and the stuff she was thinking about while she was watching the other people on the beach were really interesting to read about.

那个女孩儿看着沙滩上的其他人时,她的回忆和她思考的东西读起来都很有趣。

And you know, it made me think that when I write my story, the one we have to write for this class, I can maybe use my own memories to get me started.

这让我思考,当要我写自己的故事时(就是我们这门课要写的),也许我也能以自己的回忆开头。

Professor: Well, in fact, I'd hoped you'd see that.

教授:事实上,我很希望你们能明白这一点。

Of course, there are many levels to the story.

当然了,故事有很多层次。

But what I really wanted the class to take away from it was that you don't need to write about the great exciting world when you write you stories.

但我真正希望班里同学从中吸收的是,当你要写自己的故事时,你不一定要写非常精彩刺激的世界。

Even writing about a memory can work.

哪怕写的是回忆,也能行得通。

Student: Like I could write about one of the times I took a walk in the woods when I was a kid.

学生:就好像,我可以写小时候我在树林里散步。

Professor: Exactly! You know, as the due day of your stories approaches, I am hearing from a lot of students that they are worried because they don't have anything exciting enough to write about.

教授:正确!你知道,也快到你们要交文章的日子了,我从很多学生那儿听说,他们都很担心,因为他们没有什么刺激的东西可写。

But Welty said in the interview we listened to and in her autobiography that her worst stories were the ones where she tried to write about people or places that were unfamiliar to her.

但韦尔蒂在我们听的采访里和她的自传里说了,她写得最糟糕的故事,都是自己不熟悉的人或地的故事。

That's why a lot of her stories are set in Mississippi, where she is from.

这就是为什么她的故事大多发生于密西西西比,她的家乡。

Welty stressed that, for her anyway, familiarity with her subject matter was the key to a successful story.

韦尔蒂强调,对她来说,对故事主题的熟悉程度是故事成功的关键。

Student: Familiarity. That makes sense.

学生:熟悉程度。这很有道理。

Thanks Professor Thomson.

谢谢,汤姆森教授。

Professor: No problem.

教授:没事。

Now, don't forget to listen to that recording.

别忘了听那段录音。

What are the speakers mainly discussing?

说话人主要谈论的是什么?

Why does the professor mention O.Henry's story, "The Gift of the Magi," and William Faulkner's story, "The Bear"?

为什么教授要提及欧·亨利的故事,《麦琪的礼物》,和威廉·福克纳的故事《熊》?

Why does the woman mention walking in the woods?

为什么那位女士提到了树林中散步?

What point does the professor make when he mentions the interview with Welty and her autobiography?

教授在提及韦尔蒂的采访和自传时,他想表达什么观点?

What was the student's reaction to Welty's story after first reading it?

当学生第一次读韦尔蒂的故事时,她是什么反应?

重点单词   查看全部解释    
unfamiliar ['ʌnfə'miljə]

想一想再看

adj. 不熟悉的

 
reserve [ri'zə:v]

想一想再看

n. 预备品,贮存,候补
n. 克制,含蓄

联想记忆
interview ['intəvju:]

想一想再看

n. 接见,会见,面试,面谈
vt. 接见,采

 
conversation [.kɔnvə'seiʃən]

想一想再看

n. 会话,谈话

联想记忆
creative [kri'eitiv]

想一想再看

adj. 创造性的

联想记忆
recording [ri'kɔ:diŋ]

想一想再看

n. 录音 动词record的现在分词

联想记忆
adventure [əd'ventʃə]

想一想再看

n. 冒险,奇遇
vt. 冒险,尝试

联想记忆
familiarity [fə.mili'æriti]

想一想再看

n. 亲密,熟悉,精通,不拘礼节

联想记忆
reaction [ri'ækʃən]

想一想再看

n. 反应,反作用力,化学反应

联想记忆
autobiography [.ɔ:təbai'ɔgrəfi]

想一想再看

n. 自传

联想记忆

    阅读本文的人还阅读了:
  • 托福TPO-33 Lecture 4(下) 2016-06-22
  • 托福TPO-34 Conversation 1 2016-06-24
  • 托福TPO-34 Lecture 1(上) 2016-06-30
  • 托福TPO-34 Lecture 1(下) 2016-07-01
  • 托福TPO-34 Lecture 2(上) 2016-07-05
  • 发布评论我来说2句

      最新文章

      可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

      每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

      添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
      添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。