南茜:这不是一年中很棒的时间吗?
Families get together over the holidays.
家人节日时聚在一起。
Yasmani:Maybe it's nice for some families, but I dread my family get-togethers.
娅斯玛妮:也许对一些家庭来说很不错,但我担心我那一家人。
Nancy:How come?
南茜:怎么说呢?
Yasmani:I have a big family and there has always been a lot of sibling rivalry.
娅斯玛妮:我有一个大家庭,而且兄弟姐妹间一直争来斗去的。
Nancy:I'm sure that was true when you were growing up, but you've all grown out of it, haven't you?
南茜:我相信你们在成长过程中难免有些磕磕绊绊,但你们长大了就不闹了,对不对?
Yasmani:Not us.
娅斯玛妮:我们可不这样。
The firstborn still thinks he's in charge, the middle children still act up to get attention, and the baby of the family is still rebellious.
长子仍然认为他独大,老二则用手段希望获得关注,而最小的仍然叛逆。
Nancy:That's true in a lot of families.
南茜:很多家庭现在都是这样。
Yasmani:Yes, but when we get together, we compete to show up the others.
娅斯玛妮:是的,但是当我们聚在一起的时候就会互相争斗。
We brag, argue, and nitpick.
我们自夸,争论,吹毛求疵。
It's rather pathetic, actually.
实际上真的非常可怜。
Nancy:How do your parents handle all that?
南希:你的父母会怎样处理?
Yasmani:They've always left us to our own devices.
娅斯玛妮:他们总是让我们自己解决。
We just fight it out amongst ourselves.
我们只是这样亲生手足之间相互争斗。
Nancy:So, there's no loving bond between the siblings.
南茜:因此其中根本就没有兄弟姐妹间的那种关系。
Yasmani:Oh, we love each other, but we compete with other, too. It's complicated.
娅斯玛妮:哦,我们彼此相爱,但又争来斗去。太复杂了。
Nancy:Then I should be glad to be an only child?
南希:那我应该很高兴是家里的独子吗?
Yasmani:That's right. Count your blessings!
娅斯玛妮:很好。知足吧!