重点讲解:
1. get one's knickers in a twist
恼火;烦闷;
eg. The company, which makes its money on 3,000 grocery lines has its knickers in a twist about Sunday trading.
这家依靠3,000种食品杂货盈利的公司为其星期天的营业状况烦恼 。
eg. Don't get your knickers in a twist. It is just a small test.
别不高兴了,这只是一个小考试而已 。
2. poke fun at
取笑;戏弄;拿…开玩笑;
eg. She poked fun at people's shortcomings.
她拿别人的缺点开玩笑 。
eg. We all poke fun at her because she wears such a strange hat.
我们大家都笑她戴这么一顶古怪的帽子 。
3. bother to do sth.
操心;费力;麻烦;
eg. Few black children today bother to humiliate themselves like this.
今天,几乎没有黑人孩子为像这样让他们丢人的事情而烦恼 。
eg. He did not bother to undress.
他懒得脱衣服了 。
4. tidy up
收拾;整理;
eg. I really must start tidying the place up.
我真得开始收拾收拾这个地方了 。
eg. Anne made the beds and tidied up the nursery.
安妮把床铺都整理好,然后把幼儿室收拾停当 。
5. by the way
顺便说一下;
eg. OK. By the way, tell your wife she throws a successful party.
好. 。还有,请告诉你夫人,她办了一个很成功的宴会 。
eg. By the way, I want you to know that none of this was my idea.
顺便说一句,我想让你知道所有的一切都不是我的主意 。
6. tell off
斥责;训斥;训诫;
eg. He never listened to us when we told him off.
我们教训他时,他从来不听 。
eg. I'm always being told off for being so awkward.
我笨手笨脚的,总挨训 。