您现在的位置:
首页 >
英语听力 >
英语演讲 >
TED演讲MP3+字幕 >
TED演讲之设计篇 >
正文
- Every weekend for as long as I can remember, my father would get up on a Saturday,
- 在我能够记住的每个周末,我的父亲在周六起床后,
- put on a worn sweatshirt and he'd scrape away at the squeaky old wheel of a house that we lived in.
- 会穿上一件旧T恤衫,他会刮掉我们所住的老房子的油漆。
- I wouldn't even call it restoration; it was a ritual, catharsis.
- 我不能把它叫做修整,那是一种仪式,一种净化。
- He would spend all year scraping paint with this old heat gun and a spackle knife,
- 他会用整整一年的时间来用他的热风枪以及抹墙粉刀来刮掉油漆,
- and then he would repaint where he scraped, only to begin again the following year.
- 然后他会重新油漆他刮掉的部分,这只是为了能在来年重新开始。
- Scraping and re-scraping, painting and repainting: the work of an old house is never meant to be done.
- 刮漆和再次刮漆,油漆和再次油漆,这所老房子的工作永远不会结束。
- The day my father turned 52, I got a phone call.
- 当我父亲52岁的时候,我接到一通电话,
- My mother was on the line to tell me that doctors had found a lump in his stomach
- 我母亲在线上告诉我说医生在他的腹腔发现一个肿块儿,
- terminal cancer, she told me, and he had been given only three weeks to live.
- 癌症晚期,她这么跟我说,他只能活三周。
- I immediately moved home to Poughkeepsie, New York,
- 我立即搬家到纽约Poughkeepsie,
- to sit with my father on death watch, not knowing what the next days would bring us.
- 为我父亲临终看护,不知道第二天我们会发生些什么。
- To keep myself distracted, I rolled up my sleeves,
- 为了让自己分散注意力,我卷起了袖子,
- and I went about finishing what he could now no longer complete -- the restoration of our old home.
- 我去做他再也无法完成的事情--修整我们的老房子。
- When that looming three-week deadline came and then went, he was still alive.
- 当那个无形的三周期限来到了又过去后,他还是活着。
- And at three months, he joined me. We gutted and repainted the interior.
- 三个月后,他开始跟我一起,我们重新粉刷了内部。
- At six months, the old windows were refinished, and at 18 months, the rotted porch was finally replaced.
- 六个月后,老窗户完成了,18个月的时候,破败的阳台也翻新了。
扫描二维码进行跟读打分训练
建筑远远不止是砖头的巧妙安放。在这次演讲中,迈克尔·墨菲显示了他和他的团队如何别具慧眼地看待他们在设计时的蓝图。从气流的因素到光线的考虑,他们全方位地寻求打造社区以及(美观的)建筑物的方法。他带领我们走进一个个项目的旅途,从卢旺达到海地等国,并揭示了正在进行的,雄心勃勃的为建立纪念和平和正义的纪念馆的计划,他希望能在美国南部治愈心灵。
来源:可可英语 http://www.kekenet.com/Article/202001/603541.shtml