您现在的位置:
首页 >
英语听力 >
英语演讲 >
TED演讲MP3+字幕 >
TED演讲之国际问题篇 >
正文
- How can this be? We think it's because these nuns had a high level of cognitive reserve,
- 这是怎么回事呢?我们认为这是因为这些修女拥有高级的认知储备,
- which is a way of saying that they had more functional synapses.
- 意味着她们有功能更强的突触。
- People who have more years of formal education, who have a high degree of literacy,
- 接受正式教育的时间越长的人,拥有较强读写能力的人,
- who engage regularly in mentally stimulating activities, all have more cognitive reserve.
- 定期参加刺激心理活动的人,这些人都有更高的认知储备。
- They have an abundance and a redundancy in neural connections.
- 他们有着大量甚至多余的神经连接。
- So even if they have a disease like Alzheimer's compromising some of their synapses,
- 所以即使他们患上老年痴呆等疾病损伤了部分突触,
- they've got many extra backup connections, and this buffers them from noticing that anything is amiss.
- 他们依然有充足的额外后备连接,而这减缓了他们的大脑产生混乱。
- Let's imagine a simplified example. Let's say you only know one thing about a subject. Let's say it's about me.
- 让我们来看一个简单的例子。假设你只知道关于某一主题的一件事。比方说是关于我的。
- You know that Lisa Genova wrote "Still Alice," and that's the only thing you know about me.
- 你知道丽莎·吉诺瓦写下了《依然爱丽丝》,这是你唯一知道的关于我的事。
- You have that single neural connection, that one synapse. Now imagine you have Alzheimer's.
- 你拥有一处单一的神经连接,那一个特定突触。如果现在你患上了老年痴呆。
- You have plaques and tangles and inflammation and microglia devouring that synapse.
- 你有样斑块、神经纤维缠结和炎症,并且小神经胶质细胞吞噬了那一突触。
- Now when someone asks you, "Hey, who wrote 'Still Alice?'" you can't remember,
- 现在若有人问起你,“嘿,谁写了《依然爱丽丝》?”你无法回想起来了,
- because that synapse is either failing or gone. You've forgotten me forever.
- 因为那个突触要么衰弱要么消失了。你把我忘得一干二净。
- But what if you had learned more about me? Let's say you learned four things about me.
- 但是如果你对我了解更深呢?比如你了解我的四件事情。
- Now imagine you have Alzheimer's, and three of those synapses are damaged or destroyed.
- 现在如果你患上了老年痴呆,即使三处突触已损伤或者毁坏。
- You still have a way to detour the wreckage. You can still remember my name.
- 你依然有一条路来绕过阻碍找到我的信息。你依然记得我的名字。
- So we can be resilient to the presence of Alzheimer's pathology through the recruitment of yet-undamaged pathways.
- 所以我们可以通过使用那些未损坏的通路有效应对老年痴呆。
- And we create these pathways, this cognitive reserve, by learning new things.
- 同时我们通过学习新事物,创造了新的通路,改变着认知储备。
- Ideally, we want these new things to be as rich in meaning as possible, recruiting sight and sound and associations and emotion.
- 理想情况下,我们希望这些新事物的意义尽可能丰富,吸纳视觉与听觉的联合感受。
- So this really doesn't mean doing crossword puzzles.
- 所以这并不意味着去做横纵字谜游戏。
- You don't want to simply retrieve information you've already learned,
- 你不希望去重拾那些你早已学会的信息,
- because this is like traveling down old, familiar streets, cruising neighborhoods you already know.
- 这就好比游览老旧的熟悉街道,那些周边环境你早已了然于心。
- You want to pave new neural roads. Building an Alzheimer's-resistant brain means learning to speak Italian,
- 你想要开辟新的神经道路。使你的大脑抵抗老年痴呆,意味着学习说意大利语,
- meeting new friends, reading a book, or listening to a great TED Talk.
- 去遇见新朋友,读一本书,或是听一场精彩的TED演讲。
- And if, despite all of this, you are someday diagnosed with Alzheimer's,
- 如果做了所有的这一切之后,有一天你被诊断为老年痴呆,
- there are three lessons I've learned from my grandmother and the dozens of people I've come to know living with this disease.
- 我从我的祖母以及我认识的许多患者中学习到了三件事情。
- Diagnosis doesn't mean you're dying tomorrow. Keep living.
- 诊断并不意味着死期将至。顽强地活下去吧。
- You won't lose your emotional memory. You'll still be able to understand love and joy.
- 你不会丢失你的情感记忆。你依然可以理解爱与喜悦。
- You might not remember what I said five minutes ago, but you'll remember how I made you feel.
- 你也许不会记得我五分钟前的话语,但是你依然会记得我带给你的感受。
- And you are more than what you can remember. Thank you.
- 你远胜于你所能记住的一切。谢谢。
扫描二维码进行跟读打分训练
本期TED演讲者是位神经科学家及《依然爱丽丝》的作者Lisa Genova女士,她将和大家分享她的最新研究发现,原来预防老年痴呆还可以从一些最简单的事情着手去做,是什么事情呢?我们一同来揭晓。
来源:可可英语 http://www.kekenet.com/Article/201801/540737.shtml