手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语演讲 > TED十佳演讲话题 > 正文

TED十佳演讲之说什么 不要固执于英语(1)

来源:可可英语 编辑:max   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet
  
  • I know what you're thinking.
  • 我知道你们在想什么。
  • You think I've lost my way,
  • 你们想我迷路了,
  • and somebody's going to come on the stage in a minute and guide me gently back to my seat.
  • 有人马上会上台,把我领回到我的座位。
  • I get that all the time in Dubai. "Here on holiday are you, dear?"
  • 在迪拜老是有人这样问我。“亲爱的,来度假啊?”
  • "Come to visit the children? How long are you staying?"
  • “来看孩子们吗?呆多久啊?”
  • Well actually, I hope for a while longer yet.
  • 事实上,我希望我还能多在这儿呆几年呢。
  • I have been living and teaching in the Gulf for over 30 years.
  • 我在海湾地区已经生活和教书有30多年了。
  • And in that time, I have seen a lot of changes.
  • 在这期间,我目睹了很多变化。
  • Now that statistic is quite shocking.
  • 那些统计数据是令人非常吃惊的。
  • And I want to talk to you today about language loss and the globalization of English.
  • 而我今天要跟你们讲的是关于语种的消失和英语的全球化。
  • I want to tell you about my friend who was teaching English to adults in Abu Dhabi.
  • 我想告诉你们,我的一个朋友她在阿布扎比教成年人英语。
  • And one fine day, she decided to take them into the garden to teach them some nature vocabulary.
  • 一天,她决定带他们去花园,去教他们一些大自然用语。
  • But it was she who ended up learning all the Arabic words for the local plants,
  • 但是结果她反而学了所有当地植被的阿拉伯名称
  • as well as their uses -- medicinal uses, cosmetics, cooking, herbal.
  • 和它们的用途--药用的、化妆用的、食用的,草药。
  • How did those students get all that knowledge?
  • 那些学生是怎样得到这些知识的呢?
  • Of course, from their grandparents and even their great-grandparents.
  • 当然是从他们的祖父母那里,甚至是他们的曾祖父母那里。
  • It's not necessary to tell you how important it is to be able to communicate across generations.
  • 本来我没有必要告诉你们能够跨代交流是多么重要。
  • But sadly, today, anguages are dying at an unprecedented rate.
  • 但是,令人惋惜的是,今天很多语种正在以空前的速度消失着。
  • A language dies every 14 days.
  • 每14天就有一种语言消失。


扫描二维码进行跟读打分训练

演讲简介

在TEDx迪拜,资深的英语教师帕特里夏·瑞安提出了一个发人深省的问题,这个独尊英语的世界是否会妨碍其他语言传播优秀的思想?例如,如果一定要爱因斯坦通过托福,这会造成怎样的结果呢?这段演讲热情地捍卫了翻译和分享思想的价值。


重点单词   查看全部解释    
communicate [kə'mju:nikeit]

想一想再看

v. 交流,传达,沟通

联想记忆
unprecedented [ʌn'presidəntid]

想一想再看

adj. 空前的,前所未有的

联想记忆

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。