Suddenly the Squire's heavy foot stood on part of Nancy's dress,
忽然乡绅的脚重重地踩住了南茜的长裙,
and some of the material was pulled away at the waist.
把衣服腰间的部分扯坏了。
Nancy asked Godfrey to take her to a quieter place, where she could repair the damage.
南茜让戈弗雷带她到一个清静的地方去整理衣服。
He took her to a small room near the hall, hoping they would have a few private moments together.
戈弗雷把她带进了大厅旁边的一间小屋,希望他们能够有一段单独相处的时间。
But Nancy sat down on the chair furthest away from him, and said coldly, 'Thank you, sir.
可南茜坐在了离他最远的椅子上,冷冷地说:"谢谢您,先生,
You needn't stay. I'm very sorry about taking you away from the dance. '
您不必呆在这儿,很抱歉让您从舞会上出来。"
'It's not very kind of you, 'said Godfrey, moving close to her, 'to be sorry you've danced with me. '
"这样可不太好,"戈弗雷走近她一点儿,说,"你为什么不愿意和我跳舞呢?"
'I didn't mean that'replied Nancy, blushing prettily.
"我不是这个意思!"南茜的脸红得很可爱,
'Gentlemen have so many things to enjoy.
"绅士们有那么多事可做,
I'm sure one dance can't matter very much. '
我肯定跳支舞没什么重要。"
'You know that isn't true.
"你知道不是这样的,
You know one dance with you means more to me than anything else in the world. '
你知道和你跳一支舞对我比任何事都重要。"
Nancy was a little surprised. Godfrey had not said anything like this to her for a long time.
南茜有些吃惊,戈弗雷很久没有对她说这样的话了。