手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语演讲 > TED十佳演讲话题 > 正文

TED十佳演讲之寻找真理:我们的大问题(2)

来源:可可英语 编辑:max   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet
  
  • Existential risk -- the second big problem.
  • 存在风险——第二个重大问题。
  • Existential risk is a threat to human survival, or to the long-term potential of our species.
  • 存在风险是对人类生存,或对整个人类种群的长远潜能的一种威胁。
  • Now, why do I say that this is a big problem?
  • 为什么我会认为这是一个重大问题?
  • Well, let's first look at the probability --
  • 让我们来看看可能性——
  • and this is very, very difficult to estimate
  • 这非常难估量
  • but there have been only four studies on this in recent years, which is surprising.
  • 但近年来,这个领域只出现了四篇研究文章,这很让人吃惊。
  • You would think that it would be of some interest
  • 你可能会认为,既然厉害关系如此巨大,
  • to try to find out more about this given that the stakes are so big,
  • 那么在这个领域做研究一定是有意义的。
  • but it's a very neglected area.
  • 然而,这是一个被人们忽视的领域。
  • But there have been four studies -- one by John Lesley, wrote a book on this.
  • 但是,已经有了四篇研究——其中一篇由约翰·雷斯利所著,为这个问题写了一本书。
  • He estimated a probability that we will fail to survive the current century: 50 percent.
  • 据他估计,有50%的可能性我们会在这个世纪灭亡。
  • Similarly, the Astronomer Royal, whom we heard speak yesterday,
  • 类似的,皇家天文学家--我们昨天听过他的演讲--
  • also has a 50 percent probability estimate.
  • 的估算结果也是50%。
  • Another author doesn't give any numerical estimate,
  • 另外一个作者并没有给出任何数据估算,
  • but says the probability is significant that it will fail.
  • 但他指出,人类灭亡的可能性非常高。
  • I wrote a long paper on this.
  • 我就这个问题写了一篇长篇论文
  • I said assigning a less than 20 percent probability would be a mistake in light of the current evidence we have.
  • 我在文章里指出,根据现有的证据,任何低于20%的可能性估算都应该是错误的。
  • Now, the exact figures here, we should take with a big grain of salt,
  • 对于这里的具体数字,我们不应该全盘相信,
  • but there seems to be a consensus that the risk is substantial.
  • 但人们似乎对此达成共识,风险的确不小。
  • Everybody who has looked at this and studied it agrees.
  • 每个看过并研究过这方面的人,都会同意。
  • Now, if we think about what just reducing
  • 那么,如果我们考虑
  • the probability of human extinction by just one percentage point, not very much
  • 将人类灭绝的可能性几率只减少一个百分点,并不是很多
  • so that's equivalent to 60 million lives saved,
  • 那就相当于拯救了六千万的生命,
  • if we just count the currently living people, the current generation.
  • 而这只是计算现存的人类,当代人口。
  • Now one percent of six billion people is equivalent to 60 million.
  • 那么六十亿人的百分之一相当于六千万。
  • So that's a large number.
  • 这是一个很大的数字。
  • If we were to take into account future generations
  • 如果我们把未来的人口也算进来
  • that will never come into existence if we blow ourselves up,
  • 如果我们把自己毁灭了,未来人口也永不会存在,
  • then the figure becomes astronomical.
  • 那么这数字就变成天文数字了。
  • If we could eventually colonize a chunk of the universe -- the Virgo supercluster --
  • 如果我们最终可以开拓宇宙的一角为生存地,比如室女座超星系团
  • maybe it will take us 100 million years to get there,
  • 可能我们需要一亿年才能到达那儿,
  • but if we go extinct we never will.
  • 但如果我们灭亡了,我们永远也到不了
  • Then, even a one percentage point reduction in the extinction risk
  • 那么,即使是减少百分之一的灭绝风险,
  • could be equivalent to this astronomical number -- 10 to the power of 32.
  • 那将等同于这个极为庞大的数字——10的32次方。
  • So if you take into account future generations as much as our own,
  • 那么,如果你像关心我们自己一样关心我们的后代,
  • every other moral imperative of philanthropic cost just becomes irrelevant.
  • 所有其他基于道义责任的慈善都变得无关紧要。
  • The only thing you should focus on would be to reduce existential risk
  • 你所应该关注的唯一事情就是减少生存风险
  • because even the tiniest decrease in existential risk
  • 因为即使只减少极少的一点生存风险,
  • would just overwhelm any other benefit you could hope to achieve.
  • 其带来的好处也可以覆盖其它任何你希望获得的利益。
  • And even if you just look at the current people,
  • 另外,如果你仅仅关注现在的人类,
  • and ignore the potential that would be lost if we went extinct,
  • 而忽略那些一旦我们灭绝后可能失去的潜能,
  • it should still have a high priority.
  • 减少存在风险也仍旧值得优先考虑。


扫描二维码进行跟读打分训练

演讲简介

牛津大学哲学家和超人类主义学家尼克·波斯特洛姆对人类前景进行审视,并提出以下疑问:我们是否应该重新定义人道来解决人类最根本的问题?


重点单词   查看全部解释    
priority [prai'ɔriti]

想一想再看

n. 优先权,优先顺序,优先

 
threat [θret]

想一想再看

n. 威胁,凶兆
vt. 威胁, 恐吓

 
astronomer [ə'strɔnəmə]

想一想再看

n. 天文学家

 
equivalent [i'kwivələnt]

想一想再看

adj. 等价的,相等的
n. 相等物

联想记忆
achieve [ə'tʃi:v]

想一想再看

v. 完成,达到,实现

 
universe ['ju:nivə:s]

想一想再看

n. 宇宙,万物,世界

联想记忆
eventually [i'ventjuəli]

想一想再看

adv. 终于,最后

 
ignore [ig'nɔ:]

想一想再看

vt. 不顾,不理,忽视

联想记忆
consensus [kən'sensəs]

想一想再看

n. 共识,一致,合意
n. [生理]交感

联想记忆
current ['kʌrənt]

想一想再看

n. (水、气、电)流,趋势
adj. 流通的

联想记忆

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。