您现在的位置:
首页 >
英语听力 >
英语美文欣赏 >
精美英文欣赏 >
正文
精美英文欣赏:How Could I Love a Race of People Who Hated Me我如何能热爱一个憎恨我的民族
编辑:sophie
可可英语APP下载 | 可可官方微信:ikekenet
- Part 2 How Could I Love a Race of People Who Hated Me
- 第二部分 我如何能热爱一个憎恨我的民族
- There was a pretty strict system of segregation in Atlanta.
- 亚特兰大拥有相当严格的种族隔离制度。
- For a long, long time I could not go swimming, until there was a Negro YMCA.
- 很长很长一段时间我都不能去游泳,直到一个黑人基督教青年会建成。
- A Negro child in Atlanta could not go to any public park.
- 在亚特兰大,黑人孩子不能去任何公共的公园,
- I could not go to the so-called white schools. In many of the stores downtown, I couldn't go to a lunch counter to buy a hamburger or a cup of coffee.
- 不能去所谓的白人学校,在市中心的许多商店里不能去午餐柜台买汉堡或一杯咖啡,
- I could not attend any of the theaters.
- 不能去任何剧院观看演出。
- There were one or two Negro theaters, but they didn't get any of the main pictures.
- 虽然那里有一两个黑人剧院,但他们拿不到任何重大影片的胶片,
- If they did get them, they got them two or three years later.
- 即使拿到了,那也是影片公映后两到三年的事了。
- I had grown up abhorring not only segregation but also the oppressive and barbarous acts that grew out of it.
- 在成长过程中,我不仅憎恶种族隔离,而且对于由此造成的压迫和野蛮行为深恶痛绝。
- I had seen police brutality with my own eyes, and watched Negroes receive the most tragic injustice in the courts.
- 我曾亲眼看到警察的暴行,目睹黑人在法庭上遭受最为悲惨的不公正待遇。
- I can remember the organization known as the Ku Klux Klan.
- 我还记得一个叫做三K党的组织,它坚持白人至上主义。
- It stands out white supremacy, and it was an organization
- 可以这么说,在那些曰子里,这个组织为了保持隔离制度,
- that in those days even used violent methods to preserve segregation and to keep the Negro in his place, so to speak.
- 为了让黑人待在自己的地方,甚至采用暴力的手段。
- I remember seeing the Klan actually beat a Negro.
- 我仍然记得见过三K党鞭打一个黑人,
- I had passed spots where Negroes had been savagely lynched.
- 我还到过黑人被滥用野蛮私刑的地方。
- All of these things did something to my growing personality.
- 所有这些事情对我人格的养成都起到了一定的作用。
- In my late childhood and early adolescence, two incidents happened that had a tremendous effect on my development.
- 在我的童年末期和少年早期发生了两件事情,对我的成长产生了巨大的影响。
- The first was the first empty seats at the front of the store.
- 第一件事发生在商店里,和店前的几个空座位有关。
- A young white clerk came up and murmured politely:
- 一个年轻的白人店员走过来,礼貌地低声说:
- "I'll be happy to wait on you if you'll just move to those seats in the rear."
- "如果你挪到后面的座位上,我会很乐意为你服务。"
- Dad immediately retorted, "There's nothing wrong with these seats. We're quite comfortable here."
- 爸爸立即反驳道:"坐这些座位有什么不对。我们在这儿很舒服。"
- "Sorry, " said the clerk, "but you'll have to move."
- "对不起,"职员说,"但你必须得移开。"
- "We'll either buy shoes sitting here, " my father retorted, "or we won't buy shoes at all."
- "我们要么坐在这儿买鞋,"我爸爸回答说:"要么什么也不买。"
- Whereupon he took me by the hand and walked out of the store.
- 于是他拉着我的手,走出了商店。
- This was the first time I had seen Dad so furious.
- 这是我第一次看到爸爸如此愤怒。
- The experience revealed to me at a very early age that my father had not adjusted to the system, and he played a great part in shaping my conscience.
- 那次经历让年少的我认识到父亲并不适应这种制度,他对我善恶观念的形成发挥了至关重要的作用。
- I still remember walking down the street beside him as he muttered,
- 我现在依然还记得我和他并排走在街上,
- "I don't care how long I have to live with this system, I will never accept it."
- 他喃喃地说:"我不在乎我还要在这种制度下生活多久,我永远都不会接受它。"
- And he never has. I remember riding with him another day when he accidently drove past a stop sign.
- 而且,他也从未接受过。记得还有一次和他开车外出,他不小心开过了一个停车的标志。
- A policeman pulled up to the car and said: "All right, boy, pull over and let me see your license."
- 一个警察把车开到我们旁边,说道:"好吧,孩子,靠边停车,让我看看你的驾照。"
- My father instantly retorted: "Let me make it clear to you that you aren't talking to a boy.
- 我父亲立即反驳道:"让我清楚地告诉你,你并不是在和一个孩子讲话。
- If you persist in referring to me as boy, I will be forced to act as if I don't hear a word you are saying."
- 如果你坚持说我是个孩子,我将不得不对你的话充耳不闻。"
- The policeman was so shocked in hearing a Negro talk to him so forthrightly that he didn't quite know how to respond.
- 警察听到一个黑人和他说话如此直率,大吃一惊,一时真不知该如何回应才好。
- He nervously wrote the ticket and left the scene as quickly as possible.
- 他紧张地写下罚单,尽快离开了现场。
扫描二维码进行跟读打分训练
1. come up 走近;发生;开始;上升;发芽;被提出
The film did not come up to my expectations.
这部电影没有达到我的期望。
2. adjust to 调节;调整以适应
Astronauts in flight must adjust to weightlessness.
宇航员在飞行中得适应失重状态。
3. play a part in 参与;起作用;扮演角色
Fruit maturity may play a part in phenotypic characterization.
果实成熟期使这种表现型特征可能明显地起一些作用。
4. refer to …as 把…称作…
Economists refer to the goods or service as inferior.
经济学家就称这种商品或者劳务为次品。
来源:可可英语 http://www.kekenet.com/Article/201606/444953.shtml