手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语演讲 > TED十佳演讲话题 > 正文

TED十佳演讲之面对灾难:站在救灾前沿

来源:可可英语 编辑:max   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet
  
  • That was me in front of our house in Monson, Massachusetts last June.
  • 那个就是我,在麻省的Monson,我们的房子前面,
  • After an EF3 tornado ripped straight through our town and took parts of our roof off,
  • 一股EF3级龙卷风袭击了这里,掀翻了我们的屋顶
  • I decided to stay in Massachusetts instead of pursuing the master's program
  • 我决定留在麻省,而不是去读硕士
  • I had moved my boxes home that afternoon for.
  • 那个下午我已把经箱子搬回了家
  • So, on June 1st we weren't disaster experts, but on June 3rd we started faking it.
  • 6月1号时我们还不是灾难专家,但从3号我们就假装是了
  • This experience changed our lives.
  • 这段经历改变了我们的生活
  • And now we're trying to change the experience.
  • 现在我们要努力去改变它
  • So tornadoes don't happen in Massachusetts.
  • 龙卷风一般不会袭击麻省
  • And I was cleverly standing in the front yard when one came over the hill.
  • 当时我正灵巧地站在前院,一个龙卷风从山丘上刮来
  • After a lamppost flew by, my family and I sprinted into the basement.
  • 一个路灯杆在身边飞过,我和家人迅速冲进了地下室
  • Trees were thrown against the house, the windows exploded.
  • 树木呗吹向房子,砸碎玻璃
  • When we finally got out the back door, transformers were burning in the street.
  • 当我们终于从后门出去的时候,一些多变压器在街上燃烧
  • So I was here in Boston.
  • 我当时就在波士顿
  • I'm a PhD student at MIT, and I happen to study atmospheric science.
  • 我是一个MIT的博士生,我碰巧是学大气环境科学的
  • Actually it gets weirder.
  • 巧合还不止这些
  • So I was in the museum of science at the time the tornado hit, playing with the tornado display.
  • 龙卷风来袭的时候,我在科学博物馆玩模拟龙卷风的仪器
  • So I missed her call.
  • 所以我没接到她的电话
  • So I get the call from Caitria, I hear the news,
  • Caitria给我打来电话,告诉了我消息,
  • and I start tracking the radar online to call the family back when another supercell was forming in their area.
  • 于是我开始在网上观察雷达图像,当又一个漏斗云形成的时候,叫家里人回去
  • And I drove home late that night with batteries and ice.
  • 之后我带着电池和冰块连夜开车回家
  • We live across the street from an historic church that had lost its very iconic steeple in the storm.
  • 我家对面是一个老教堂,它标志性的尖顶被大风吹走了
  • It had become a community gathering place overnight.
  • 一夜之间成了附近居民的避难所
  • The town hall and the police department had also suffered direct hits,
  • 市政厅和警察局也遭到破坏
  • and so people wanting to help or needing information went to the church.
  • 因此需要帮助和消息的人们去了教堂
  • We walked up to the church because we heard that they had hot meals,
  • 我们去了教堂,因为听说他们没饭吃
  • but when we arrived we found problems.
  • 不过到了那儿却发现些问题
  • There were a couple large, sweaty men with chainsaws standing in the center of the church,
  • 有几个汗津津的壮汉拿着电锯,站在教堂中间
  • but nobody knew where to send them because no one knew the extent of the damage yet.
  • 但是没人知道让他们去哪里,因为还不知道破坏有多严重
  • And as we watched, they became frustrated and left to go find somebody to help on their own.
  • 我们看着他们很沮丧地离开了,去找一些他们可以帮助的人
  • So we started organizing.
  • 于是我们开始组织大家
  • Why? It had to be done. We found Pastor Bob and offered to give the response some infrastructure.
  • 因为总得有人去做。我们找到了Pastor Bob,他主动去帮助修复基础设施
  • And then armed with just two laptops and one AirCard, we built a recovery machine.
  • 之后带着两个笔记本电脑和一张AirCard (注:AirCard是一种无线网卡),我们组建了一个重建机器
  • That was a tornado, and everyone's heading to the church to drop things off and volunteer.
  • 那是个龙卷风,每个人都去教堂去放下些物资,志愿帮助大家
  • Everyone's donating clothing.
  • 每个人都在捐衣服
  • We should really inventory the donations that are piling up here.
  • 我们应该把这些捐来的东西储存起来
  • Yeah, and we need a hotline. Can you make a Google Voice number?
  • 没错,我们需要一条热线。你能不能弄个谷歌电话的号码
  • Yeah, sure. And we need to tell people what not to bring.
  • 没问题。我们还需要告诉人们不该带什么
  • I'll make a Facebook account. Can you print fliers for the neighborhoods?
  • 我去创建一个Facebook帐户,你能把那些传单打印出来吗?
  • Yeah, but we don't even know what houses are accepting help at this point.
  • 好。不过我们不知到现在哪些房子会接受帮助
  • We need to canvas and send out volunteers.
  • 我们需要做个调查,然后派出志愿者
  • We need to tell people what not to bring.
  • 我们需要告诉人们不要带什么
  • Hey, there's a news truck. I'll tell them.
  • 看,那儿有个新闻车,我去告诉他们
  • You got my number off the news?
  • 你是从新闻上看到我号码的?
  • We don't need any more freezers.
  • 我们的冷柜已经够用了
  • The insurance won't cover it? You need a crew to tar your roof? Six packs of juice boxes arriving in one hour?
  • 保险公司不赔偿这个? 你需要一队人去重新刷你的房顶? 六箱果汁还有一小时就到?
  • Someone get me Post-its!
  • 谁帮我把便利贴拿来!
  • And then the rest of the community figured out that we had answers.
  • 后来其余的邻居们发现我们心里有数
  • I can donate three water heaters, but someone needs to come pick them up.
  • 我可以捐3个热水器,不过需要有人来把它们拿走
  • My car is in my living room.
  • 我的车在客厅里
  • My boyscout troop would like to rebuild 12 mailboxes.
  • 我的童子军能做12个邮箱
  • The puppy's missing, and insurance just doesn't cover the chimneys.
  • 有只小狗不见了,保险公司不担保烟囱
  • My church group of 50 would like housing and meals for a week while we repair properties.
  • 我50人的教堂小队能在大家重建家园时,提供一周的住所和食物
  • You sent me to that place on Washington Street yesterday, and now I'm covered in poison ivy.
  • 你昨天把我送到华盛顿街的那个地方,现在我浑身都是毒葛
  • So this is what filled our days.
  • 这些充实了我们的日子
  • We had to learn how to answer questions quickly and to solve problems in about a minute or less,
  • 我们必须学会如和快速找到方法,然后在1分钟内解决问题
  • because otherwise something more urgent would come up, and it just wouldn't get done.
  • 否则会出现更紧急的情况,于是问题永远解决不了


扫描二维码进行跟读打分训练

演讲简介

在自然灾害来临时,人们很少有机会可以在世界转移注意力之前有效组织重建力量.。谁应该为救灾负责??当一场强大的龙卷风袭击了他们的家乡,虽然分别只有20岁和24岁,O'Neil家的姐妹Caitria和Morgan挑起重担,同时教育人们如何自救。


重点单词   查看全部解释    
recovery [ri'kʌvəri]

想一想再看

n. 恢复,复原,痊愈

 
overnight ['əuvə'nait]

想一想再看

n. 前晚
adj. 通宵的,晚上的,前夜的<

 
disaster [di'zɑ:stə]

想一想再看

n. 灾难

联想记忆
heading ['hediŋ]

想一想再看

n. 标题,题目,航向
动词head的现在分词

 
insurance [in'ʃuərəns]

想一想再看

n. 保险,保险费,安全措施

联想记忆
display [di'splei]

想一想再看

n. 显示,陈列,炫耀
vt. 显示,表现,夸

 
canvas ['kænvəs]

想一想再看

n. 帆布,(帆布)画布,油画

 
solve [sɔlv]

想一想再看

v. 解决,解答

 
extent [iks'tent]

想一想再看

n. 广度,宽度,长度,大小,范围,范围,程度

联想记忆
donate ['dəuneit]

想一想再看

vt. 捐赠,转移(电子)
vi. 捐款

联想记忆

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。