手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语演讲 > TED十佳演讲话题 > 正文

TED十佳演讲之面对灾难:如何在核袭击中生存(9)

来源:可可英语 编辑:max   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet
  
  • And what happens is -- this is -- I'm going to show you now some fallout plumes.
  • 接下来将要发生的-这是-我现在要向大家演示放射性坠尘。
  • Within 20 minutes, it comes straight down.
  • 在20分钟内,坠尘直线下落;
  • Within 24 hours, lethal radiation is going out with prevailing winds,
  • 24小时内,致命的辐射将随着盛行风飘散
  • and it's mostly in this particular direction -- it's going northeast.
  • 基本上沿着某一特定方向向东北方飘去
  • And if you're in this vicinity, you've got to get away.
  • 如果你在这附近,就得设法逃离
  • So you're feeling the wind -- and this tremendous wind now that you're going to be feeling --
  • 如果你感觉到了风,感觉到这股强劲的风
  • and you want to go perpendicular to the wind or downwind,
  • 你就应该沿着垂直与风向的方向逃走或者顺着风的方向
  • if you are in fact able to see where the blast was in front of you.
  • 如果你能看到爆炸发生的地方的话
  • You've got to get out of there.
  • 你必须赶快离开那儿
  • If you don't get out of there, you're going to be exposed to lethal radiation in very short order.
  • 如果你没有迅速离开,你很快就会近距离暴露在致命的辐射中
  • If you can't get out of there, we want you to go into a shelter and stay there.
  • 如果你无法离开那里,我希望你能找一个避难所躲起来
  • Now, in a shelter in an urban area means you have to be either in a basement as deep as possible,
  • 躲在城市里的避难所指的是,要么躲在地下室,越深越好
  • or you have to be on a floor -- on a high floor --
  • 要么躲在楼上,越高越好
  • if it's a ground burst explosion, which it would be, higher than the ninth floor.
  • 如果是爆炸发生在地面上,辐射尘可能会到达9楼。
  • So you have to be tenth floor or higher, or in the basement.
  • 所以你需要跑到10楼或者更高的楼层,或者躲到地下室
  • But basically, you've got to get out of town as quickly as possible.
  • 但总的来说,你需要尽快离开这座城市,越快越好
  • And if you do that, you actually can survive a nuclear blast.
  • 如果你这么做了,你其实是可以在一次核爆炸中生还的
  • Over the next few days to a week, there will be a radiation cloud,
  • 在之后的几天到一周内,如有辐射云
  • again, going with the wind, and settling down for another 15 or 20 miles out
  • 同样随着风,然后下落,继续往前推进15到20英里
  • in this case, over Long Island.
  • 在这个例子中会飘过长岛
  • And if you're in the direct fallout zone here,
  • 如果你处于放射性坠尘经过的区域
  • you really have to either be sheltered or you have to get out of there,
  • 你真的需要躲进避难所或者尽快离开
  • and that's clear. But if you are sheltered, you can actually survive.
  • 这很明显。但那是如果你能躲进避难所,你确实可以生还
  • The difference between knowing information of what you're going to do personally,
  • 每个人是否知道应该如何逃生
  • and not knowing information, can save your life,
  • 所带来的区别
  • and it could mean the difference between 150,000 to 200,000 fatalities
  • 影响了最终的死亡人数是15万还是20万
  • from something like this and half a million to 700,000 fatalities.
  • 在这个例子中,将意味着死亡人数能否从70万减少到50万
  • So, response planning in the twenty-first century is both possible and is essential.
  • 所以,21世纪的核应急预案不仅是可能的而且是必须的
  • But in 2008, there isn't one single American city
  • 但是直到2008年,全美国没有一个城市
  • that has done effective plans to deal with a nuclear detonation disaster.
  • 拥有有效的应急预案来应对一次核爆炸灾难
  • Part of the problem is that the emergency planners themselves,
  • 部分原因是应急预案的制定者,
  • personally, are overwhelmed psychologically by the thought of nuclear catastrophe.
  • 他们自己都已经被核灾难这一想法从心理上击溃了
  • They are paralyzed.
  • 他们不知所措。
  • You say "nuclear" to them, and they're thinking,
  • 你如果和他们说起“核”,他们会想,
  • "Oh my God, we're all gone. What's the point? It's futile."
  • “天啊,我们全都得死。还有什么可说的呢?这都是徒劳。”
  • And we're trying to tell them, "It's not futile.
  • 我们所尝试的就是告诉他们这其实并非徒劳:
  • We can change the survival rates by doing some commonsensical things."
  • 我们可以通过做一些常识普及的工作来提高生还比例
  • So the goal here is to minimize fatalities.
  • 我们的目标是将死亡人数降至最低
  • And I just want to leave you with the personal points that I think you might be interested in.
  • 我希望留给大家一些个人的看法,我认为你们可能会感兴趣的。
  • The key to surviving a nuclear blast is getting out, and not going into harm's way.
  • 在核爆炸中生存的关键就是逃出去,并且不要误入危险区域
  • That's basically all we're going to be talking about here.
  • 这基本上就是我们接下来要讨论的全部内容


扫描二维码进行跟读打分训练

演讲简介

核恐怖已经随着冷战的结束而减弱,但是灾难医学专家伊文·雷德莱纳提醒我们这个威胁依然存在。他回顾了历史上一些荒谬的关于应对核袭击的对策,并给出了一些切实可行的在核袭击中生存的建议。


重点单词   查看全部解释    
perpendicular [.pə:pən'dikjulə]

想一想再看

n. 垂直线 adj. 垂直的,直立的,陡峭的

联想记忆
radiation [.reidi'eiʃən]

想一想再看

n. 辐射,放射线

 
minutes ['minits]

想一想再看

n. 会议记录,(复数)分钟

 
detonation [.detəu'neiʃən]

想一想再看

n. 爆炸,爆裂,爆炸声

 
shelter ['ʃeltə]

想一想再看

n. 庇护所,避难所,庇护
v. 庇护,保护,

联想记忆
psychologically [,psaikə'lɔdʒikəli]

想一想再看

adv. 心理上地;心理学地

 
prevailing [pri'veiliŋ]

想一想再看

adj. 盛行很广的,一般的,最普通的

联想记忆
minimize ['minimaiz]

想一想再看

v. 将 ... 减到最少
[计算机] 最小化

联想记忆
disaster [di'zɑ:stə]

想一想再看

n. 灾难

联想记忆
futile ['fju:tail]

想一想再看

adj. 无效的,无用的

 

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。