手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语演讲 > TED十佳演讲话题 > 正文

TED十佳演讲之心灵的世界:电击疗法如何改变了我(5)

来源:可可英语 编辑:max   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet
  
  • And they tried everything they had.
  • 住院后,医生尽其所能。
  • They tried the usual psychotherapy.
  • 他们试了常规的心理疗法,
  • They tried every medication available in those days.
  • 也尝试了那个时候所有可能的药物。
  • And they did have Tofranil and other things -- Mellaril, who knows what.
  • 他们用了盐酸丙咪嗪和其他药-,硫醚嗪,谁知道。
  • Nothing happened except that I got jaundiced from one of these things.
  • 什么疗效都没有,除了害我得了黄疸病。
  • And finally, because I was well known in Connecticut,
  • 最后,因为我在康涅狄格州很出名,
  • they decided they better have a meeting of the senior staff.
  • 他们决定组成专家组开个会。
  • All the senior staff got together, and I later found out what happened.
  • 所有的高级专家聚在一起,后来我才知道。
  • They put all their heads together and they decided that there was nothing that could be done
  • 他们集体讨论的结论是,他们无能为力了
  • for this surgeon who had essentially separated himself from the world,
  • 因为患者已经和世界脱节,
  • who by that time had become so overwhelmed,
  • 完全垮了。
  • not just with depression and feelings of worthlessness and inadequacy,
  • 不仅是郁闷感受无价值的和无能的感觉,
  • but with obsessional thinking, obsessional thinking about coincidences.
  • 还有无法摆脱的强迫性思考,满脑子在想各种巧合
  • And there were particular numbers that every time I saw them,
  • 有一些特别的数字,每次我看到
  • just got me dreadfully upset -- all kinds of ritualistic observances, just awful, awful stuff.
  • 都让我有种痛苦,还有各种怪癖,糟糕透了。
  • Remember when you were a kid, and you had to step on every line?
  • 记得小时候走路,你要踩到地上每条线吗?
  • Well, I was a grown man who had all of these rituals,
  • 我曾是个有这些怪癖的成年人,
  • and it got so there was a throbbing, there was a ferocious fear in my head.
  • 脑中有种可怕的恐惧。
  • You've seen this painting by Edvard Munch, The Scream.
  • 你们看过孟克的画“呐喊”。
  • Every moment was a scream.
  • 每个时刻都在呐喊。
  • It was impossible. So they decided there was no therapy, there was no treatment.
  • 这是非常可怕的。所以医生认为我无药可救了,没有办法治疗。
  • But there was one treatment,
  • 但是有一个方法,
  • which actually had been pioneered at the Hartford hospital in the early 1940s,
  • 这个方法在19世纪40年代曾经在Hartford医院率先使用过,
  • and you can imagine what it was. It was pre-frontal lobotomy.
  • 你可以想象这是什么方法。前脑叶白质切除术。
  • So they decided -- I didn't know this, again, I found this out later
  • 所以医生决定-不让我知道这一切。我后来还是知道了
  • that the only thing that could be done was for this 43-year-old man to have a pre-frontal lobotomy.
  • 唯一能做的就是,对于这个43岁的男人前脑叶白质切除术。
  • Well, as in all hospitals, there was a resident assigned to my case.
  • 就像所有的医院一样,有一个住院医生被指派给我。
  • He was 27 years old, and he would meet with me two or three times a week.
  • 他27岁,他每周跟我见2-3次面。
  • And of course, I had been there, what, three or four months at the time.
  • 我当时在医院住了3-4月。
  • And he asked to meet with the senior staff, and they agreed to meet with him
  • 他跟其他资深的医生会诊,资深医生同意跟他会诊
  • because he was very well thought of in that place.
  • 因为他是个深思熟虑的人。
  • They thought he had a really extraordinary future.
  • 他们认为他前途无量。
  • And he dug in his heels and said,
  • 他坚持说,
  • "No. I know this man better than any of you. I have met with him over and over again.
  • “我比你们任何一个人都清楚这个病人,我们见过很多次面。
  • You've just seen him from time to time. You've read reports and so forth.
  • 你们只是偶尔探视他,看看他的病历。
  • I really honestly believe that the basic problem here is pure depression,
  • 我相信他的病就是单纯的忧郁症,
  • and all of the obsessional thinking comes out of it.
  • 以及伴随的强迫性思考。
  • And you know, of course, what'll happen if you do a pre-frontal lobotomy.
  • 你们当然知道进行前额叶切除的后果。
  • Any of the results along the spectrum,
  • 任何情况都可能发生,
  • from pretty bad to terrible, terrible, terrible is going to happen.
  • 从不太理想到不堪设想,非常非常糟糕,都有可能发生。
  • If he does the best he can, he will have no further obsessions,
  • 如果手术非常成功,他将不再会强迫性思考,
  • probably no depression, but his affect will be dulled,
  • 也许不再忧郁,但是他的情感会迟钝,
  • he will never go back to surgery,
  • 他也许无法在做外科医生,
  • he will never be the loving father that he was to his two children, his life will be changed.
  • 也无法再成为他两个孩子的慈祥的父亲,他的人生从此改变。
  • If he has the usual result, he will end up like 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.'
  • 如果是一般的手术结果,他会像“飞跃杜鹃窝”一样,
  • And you know about that, just essentially in a stupor the rest of his life."
  • 终生痴呆恍惚。


扫描二维码进行跟读打分训练

演讲简介

医生兼作家-舍温纽兰讨论电击疗法的发展,它可用于治疗危及生命的抑郁症,包括治愈了他自己的病症。这是一个关于治疗、救赎以及第二次生命的感人至深的演讲。


重点单词   查看全部解释    
cuckoo ['kuku:]

想一想再看

n. 杜鹃,布谷鸟,咕咕声
n. 傻子,疯子<

 
therapy ['θerəpi]

想一想再看

n. 疗法,治疗

 
depression [di'preʃən]

想一想再看

n. 沮丧,萧条

联想记忆
upset [ʌp'set]

想一想再看

adj. 心烦的,苦恼的,不安的
v. 推翻,

联想记忆
surgeon ['sə:dʒən]

想一想再看

n. 外科医生

 
essentially [i'senʃəli]

想一想再看

adv. 本质上,本来

 
stupor ['stju:pə]

想一想再看

n. 昏迷,麻木,不省人事

联想记忆
scream [skri:m]

想一想再看

n. 尖叫声
v. 尖叫,大笑

 
senior ['si:njə]

想一想再看

adj. 年长的,高级的,资深的,地位较高的

联想记忆
extraordinary [iks'trɔ:dnri]

想一想再看

adj. 非凡的,特别的,特派的

联想记忆

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。