n. 综合症,典型表现
您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语演讲 > TED演讲MP3+字幕 > TED演讲之国际问题篇 > 正文
- In the time since that Atlantic Monthly story ran,
- 自从大西洋月刊刊载了那片文章以来,
- the life expectancy for people with Down syndrome has tripled.
- 唐氏综合征患者的寿命增加了两倍。
- The experience of Down syndrome people includes those who are actors,
- 唐氏综合征的人有些是演员,
- those who are writers, some who are able to live fully independently in adulthood.
- 作家,有些在成年后能完全独立生活。
- The Robards had a lot to do with that.
- 罗巴兹夫妇的贡献很大。
- And I said, Do you regret it?
- 我问他们:你们会遗憾吗?
- Do you wish your child didn't have Down syndrome?
- 你们希望自己的孩子没有唐氏综合征吗?
- Do you wish you'd never heard of it?
- 是否希望从未听说过这种病症?
- And interestingly his father said,
- 有趣的是这位父亲说,
- Well, for David, our son, I regret it,
- 嗯,从我们的儿子大卫角度来看,我感到遗憾,
- because for David, it's a difficult way to be in the world,
- 因为对于大卫来说,这个世界里唐氏患儿的路走得非常艰辛,
- and I'd like to give David an easier life.
- 我想要给大卫更轻松的生活。
- But I think if we lost everyone with Down syndrome, it would be a catastrophic loss.
- 但我认为,如果世界上不再有唐氏症患儿,会是很大的损失。
- And Karen Robards said to me, I'm with Tom.
- 凯伦罗巴兹说:我同意汤姆的看法。
- For David, I would cure it in an instant to give him an easier life.
- 为了让大卫活得更自在,我会想瞬间治愈他的唐氏综合症。
- But speaking for myself-well, I would never have believed 23 years ago when he was born that I could come to such a point speaking for myself, it's made me so much better and so much kinder and so much more purposeful in my whole life,
- 但对我来说,23年前他刚出生时,我绝不相信-我能走到今天这一步,对我来说,他的病让我成为更好,更善良的人,让我的人生更有意义,
- that speaking for myself, I wouldn't give it up for anything in the world.
- 对我来说,这样的经验是世界上任何其他东西都换不来的。
- We live at a point when social acceptance for these and many other conditions is on the up and up.
- 现代社会对这样那样的病症的接受程度越来越高。
- And yet we also live at the moment when our ability to eliminate those conditions has reached a height we never imagined before.
- 然而,此时此刻我们治愈这些病症的能力,也已经达到一个前所未有的高度。
- Most deaf infants born in the United States now will receive Cochlear implants,
- 现在美国新生的耳聋婴儿都会接受人工耳蜗植入手术,
- which are put into the brain and connected to a receiver,
- 将人工耳蜗植入大脑并连上接收器,
- and which allow them to acquire a facsimile of hearing and to use oral speech.
- 通过接收信号,这让他们具有听说的能力。

扫描二维码进行跟读打分训练
养育一个和你有本质差异的孩子(他/她可能是神童,残疾人或罪犯)有着怎样的感触?在这个平和且感人至深的演讲中,作家安德鲁·所罗门分享了他和诸多父母的交谈:关于无条件的爱和无条件的接纳之间的那条线。
重点单词 | 查看全部解释 | |||
syndrome | ['sindrəum] | 联想记忆 | ||
eliminate | [i'limineit] | 联想记忆 | ||
acceptance | [ək'septəns] | |||
social | ['səuʃəl] | |||
acquire | [ə'kwaiə] | 联想记忆 | ||
catastrophic | [.kætə'strɔfik] |

- 阅读本文的人还阅读了: