手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语演讲 > TED十佳演讲话题 > 正文

TED十佳演讲之心灵的世界:精神病测试的另类答案(2)

来源:可可英语 编辑:max   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet
  
  • I began to yawn uncontrollably around Kempton Park,
  • 我开始控制不住在坎普顿公园附近打哈欠
  • which apparently is what dogs also do when anxious -- they yawn uncontrollably.
  • 显然,当狗在焦虑的时候,也会情不自禁地打哈欠
  • And we got to Broadmoor.
  • 之后就到了布罗德莫精神病院
  • And I got taken through gate after gate after gate after gate into the wellness center,
  • 然后我又不停地穿过一道又一道又一道的大门,这才进到健康中心那儿
  • which is where you get to meet the patients.
  • 在那里你才能和病人会面
  • It looks like a giant Hampton Inn.
  • 它看起来就像大型的汉普顿酒店
  • It's all peach and pine and calming colors.
  • 到处都是桃子菠萝和让人宁静的颜色
  • And the only bold colors are the reds of the panic buttons.
  • 唯一比较大胆的颜色则是应急按钮上的红色
  • And the patients started drifting in.
  • 然后病人开始挪进来
  • And they were quite overweight and wearing sweatpants and quite docile looking.
  • 他们看起来很笨重,穿着宽松的裤子,倒是挺温顺的样子
  • And Brian the Scientologist whispered to me, "They're medicated,"
  • 科学论派学者Brian低声跟我说,他们这是服药后的效果
  • which to the Scientologists is like the worst evil in the world,
  • 对于科学论派的人来说,这简直就是最残忍的魔鬼
  • but I'm thinking it's probably a good idea.
  • 我倒不觉得是件坏事
  • And then Brian said, "Here's Tony."
  • 然后Brian说,“Tony来了。”
  • And a man was walking in.
  • 然后有个男人走了进来
  • And he wasn't overweight, he was in very good physical shape.
  • 他看起来并不笨重,身材还挺不错
  • And he wasn't wearing sweatpants, he was wearing a pinstriped suit.
  • 也没有穿宽松的裤子,他穿着带有细条纹的西服
  • And he had his arm outstretched like someone out of The Apprentice.
  • 他张开双臂,像《飞黄腾达》里的人一样
  • He looked like a man who wanted to wear an outfit that would convince me that he was very sane.
  • 他看起来像是想在着装方面显得得体的人,这样似乎会让我相信他是正常人
  • And he sat down.
  • 然后他坐下来
  • And I said, "So is it true that you faked your way in here?"
  • 我说,“你是在这里装疯的对吧?”
  • And he said, "Yep. Yep. Absolutely. I beat someone up when I was 17.
  • 他说,“对,绝对是。我在17岁的时候把别人打伤了
  • And I was in prison awaiting trial,
  • 之后在监狱里等待审判
  • and my cellmate said to me, 'You know what you have to do?
  • 我的狱友跟我说,你知道你得做些什么吗
  • Fake madness.
  • 装疯
  • Tell them you're mad. You'll get sent to some cushy hospital.
  • 告诉他们你疯了,你就会被送到某间舒适的医院
  • Nurses will bring you pizzas.
  • 护士会给你带来比萨饼
  • You'll have your own Playstation.'"
  • 你会有自己的PS游戏机。”
  • So I said, "Well how did you do it?"
  • 我又说,“那你是怎么做的?”
  • He said, "I asked to see the prison psychiatrist.
  • 他说,“我要求去见监狱里的精神病专家
  • And I'd just seen a film called 'Crash' in which people get sexual pleasure from crashing cars into walls.
  • 而且我又看过《冲击效应》这部电影,电影里的人用车去撞墙以获得性快感
  • So I said to the psychiatrist, 'I get sexual pleasure from crashing cars into walls.'"
  • 所以我跟精神病专家说,我通过开车撞墙活得性快感。”
  • And I said, "What else?"
  • 我说,“还有吗?”
  • He said, "Oh, yeah. I told the psychiatrist that I wanted to watch women as they died
  • 他说,“哦对了,我告诉那个精神病专家,我喜欢看女人死去
  • because it would make me feel more normal."
  • 因为这让我觉得我比较正常。”
  • And I said, "Where'd you get that from?"
  • 我说,“你这是从哪学来的?”
  • He said, "Oh, from a biography of Ted Bundy that they had at the prison library."
  • 他说,“哦,从Ted Bundy(连环杀手)的自传,监狱图书馆里有这本书。”
  • Anyway he faked madness too well, he said.
  • 总之,他说他装得太像了
  • And they didn't send him to some cushy hospital.
  • 结果他们没把他送到某间舒适的医院
  • They sent him to Broadmoor.
  • 反而送到了布罗德莫精神病院
  • And the minute he got there, he said he took one look at the place, asked to see the psychiatrist,
  • 他到这里的那一刻,他说他看了下四周的环境,然后要求去见精神病医生
  • said, "There's been a terrible misunderstanding. I'm not mentally ill."
  • 说,“这当中有着难以解释的误会,我并没有任何精神疾病。”
  • I said, "How long have you been here for?"
  • 我问,“你在这待了多长时间了?”
  • He said, "Well, if I'd just done my time in prison for the original crime, I'd have got five years.
  • 他说,“唉,如果我只在狱中服刑的话,我只要待五年
  • I've been in Broadmoor for 12 years."
  • 但我在布罗德莫精神病院已经12年了。”
  • Tony said that it's a lot harder to convince people you're sane
  • Tony说,要使别人相信你是正常人是十分困难的
  • than it is to convince them you're crazy.
  • 而使别人相信你疯了则简单得多
  • He said, "I thought the best way to seem normal
  • 他说,“要显得正常,我觉得最好的方法
  • would be to talk to people normally about normal things like football or what's on TV.
  • 就是和他人正常地交谈,聊一聊正常的事物,像足球或电视上的事情
  • I subscribe to New Scientist,
  • 我有订阅《新科学家》这份杂志
  • and recently it had an article about how the U.S. Army was training bumblebees to sniff out explosives.
  • 最近他们发表了一篇文章,关于美国军队训练大黄蜂来侦查爆炸物的
  • So I said to a nurse, 'Did you know that the U.S. army is training bumblebees to sniff out explosives?'
  • 然后我跟护士说,你知道美国军队正在训练大黄蜂来侦查爆炸物吗
  • When I read my medical notes, I saw they'd written:
  • 当我看到我的医疗记录时,我看到他们写到
  • 'Believes bees can sniff out explosives.'"
  • “相信蜜蜂能侦查爆炸物”
  • He said, "You know, they're always looking out for non-verbal clues to my mental state.
  • 他说,“你知道,他们总是在寻找非言语的线索来判断我的心理状态
  • But how do you sit in a sane way?
  • 但你是如何用正常人的方式坐的?
  • How do you cross your legs in a sane way?
  • 你又如何用正常人的方式翘脚的?
  • It's just impossible."
  • 这简直就是天荒夜谈。”


扫描二维码进行跟读打分训练

演讲简介

正常和发疯之间是否有明确的界限呢?在这个毛骨悚然的演讲里,Jon Ronson,《精神病测试》的作者,为我们揭开了正常和发疯之间的灰色地带。


重点单词   查看全部解释    
original [ə'ridʒənl]

想一想再看

adj. 最初的,原始的,有独创性的,原版的

联想记忆
impossible [im'pɔsəbl]

想一想再看

adj. 不可能的,做不到的
adj.

联想记忆
apprentice [ə'prentis]

想一想再看

n. 学徒 v. 使当学徒

联想记忆
psychiatrist [sai'kaiətrist]

想一想再看

n. 精神病医师,精神病学家

 
trial ['traiəl]

想一想再看

adj. 尝试性的; 审讯的
n. 尝试,努力

 
bold [bəuld]

想一想再看

adj. 大胆的,粗体的,醒目的,无礼的,陡峭的

 
calming

想一想再看

adj. 平静的 n. 镇定,平静 v. 平静下来(ca

 
biography [bai'ɔgrəfi]

想一想再看

n. 传记

联想记忆
misunderstanding ['misʌndə'stændiŋ]

想一想再看

n. 误会,误解
misunderstand的

 
docile ['dəusail]

想一想再看

adj. 容易教的,温顺的

联想记忆

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。