手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语演讲 > TED十佳演讲话题 > 正文

TED十佳演讲之性别无限:同性恋和异性恋(6)

来源:可可英语 编辑:max   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet
  
  • The most important thing to take from the percentage system is this:
  • 百分制评价标准最重要的一点是,
  • If you have gay people over here
  • 如果这边是完全的同性恋,
  • and you have straight people over here,
  • 另一边是完全的异性恋,
  • and while we recognize that most people identify
  • 当大多数人将自己定位成靠近异性恋
  • as somewhere closer to one binary or another,
  • 或靠近同性恋这一极端的位置时,
  • there is this vast spectrum of people that exist in between.
  • 有相当多的人落在了这个色谱的中间位置。
  • And the reality that this presents is a complicated one.
  • 而事实上,这里展示的是一个很复杂的问题。
  • Because, for example, if you pass a law
  • 因为,比如,你们通过一项法律
  • that allows a boss to fire an employee for homosexual behavior,
  • 允许老板开除有同性恋行为的员工,
  • where exactly do you draw the line?
  • 那么这条线应该画在(色谱的)哪里?
  • Is it over here, by the people who have had one or two heterosexual experiences so far?
  • 是画在这里,有过一到两次异性恋经历的人这头?
  • Or is it over here
  • 还是画在那里,
  • by the people who have only had one or two homosexual experiences thus far?
  • 只有过一到两次同性恋经历的人那头?
  • Where exactly does one become a second-class citizen?
  • 究竟是什么原因使得一个人变成了二等公民?
  • Another interesting thing that I learned from my project and my travels
  • 我的项目和我的游历经历让我学到的另一个有趣的事情
  • is just what a poor binding agent sexual orientation is.
  • 是性取向对于人们的同化作用微乎其微。
  • After traveling so much and meeting so many people,
  • 在游历了这么多地方、跟那么多人见面之后,
  • let me tell you, there are just as many jerks and sweethearts
  • 我告诉你,同性恋团体中也有笨蛋、好人、
  • and Democrats and Republicans and jocks and queens
  • 民主党支持者、共和党支持者、土鳖、女神,
  • and every other polarization you can possibly think of
  • 你能在人类群体中发现的
  • within the LGBT community
  • 所有的观点差异
  • as there are within the human race.
  • 在同性恋团体中都存在。
  • Aside from the fact that we play with one legal hand tied behind our backs,
  • 是的,我们一起反抗意图束缚我们权利的法律,
  • and once you get past the shared narrative of prejudice and struggle,
  • 但是当你撇开我们被歧视和一起抗争的共同经历,
  • just being other than straight
  • “同性恋”这个身份,
  • doesn't necessarily mean that we have anything in common.
  • 并不表示我们之间有什么共同点。
  • So in the endless proliferation of faces that Self Evident Truths is always becoming,
  • 所以随着“不证自明的真理”活动的开展,无穷无尽的人脸照片被新加进来,
  • as it hopefully appears across more and more platforms,
  • 它可能出现在更多的平台,
  • bus shelters, billboards, Facebook pages, screen savers,
  • 公交候车亭,广告牌,Facebook页面、屏幕保护程序中。
  • perhaps in watching this procession of humanity,
  • 或许随着人性的发展,
  • something interesting and useful will begin to happen.
  • 一些有趣和有用的事情将会发生。
  • Hopefully these categories, these binaries,
  • 这些分类、二分法、
  • these over-simplified boxes
  • 过度简化的盒子,
  • will begin to become useless and they'll begin to fall away.
  • 或许有希望变得没有用处并开始消失。
  • Because really, they describe nothing that we see
  • 因为这些标准无法描述我们的所看、所知,
  • and no one that we know and nothing that we are.
  • 也无法描述我们是什么。
  • What we see are human beings in all their multiplicity.
  • 我们看到的是人类的多样性。
  • And seeing them makes it harder to deny their humanity.
  • 而亲眼看到他们使得人们很难否认他们的人性。
  • At the very least I hope it makes it harder to deny their human rights.
  • 最低程度我希望这些面孔让人更难否定他们的人权。
  • So is it me particularly
  • 所以,我是否就是
  • that you would choose to deny the right to housing,
  • 你所针对的那种人,
  • the right to adopt children, the right to marriage,
  • 拒绝承认我有居住的权利、抚养孩子的权利、
  • the freedom to shop here, live here, buy here?
  • 结婚的权利、开店、生活、购物的自由?
  • Am I the one that you choose to disown
  • 我是否就是你决定要脱离关系的人
  • as your child or your brother or your sister or your mother or your father,
  • 你的子女、你的兄弟姐妹、你的父母、
  • your neighbor, your cousin, your uncle, the president,
  • 你的邻居,你的堂兄,你的舅舅,美国总统,
  • your police woman or the fireman?
  • 你(社区中)的女警或消防员?
  • It's too late.
  • 太迟了。
  • Because I already am all of those things.
  • 因为我已经是你生活的一部分了。
  • We already are all of those things, and we always have been.
  • 我们已经是相互生活的一部分,我们也将继续如此。
  • So please don't greet us as strangers,
  • 所以请不要视我们为陌生人,
  • greet us as your fellow human beings, period.
  • 视我们为跟你一样的人。句号。
  • Thank you.
  • 谢谢。


扫描二维码进行跟读打分训练

演讲简介

欧伊·蒂利特·莱特为2000个自认为有同性恋倾向的人拍摄了肖像并要求他们为自己同性恋(异性恋)的倾向程度按百分制打分。结果她发现,绝大多数人都认为自己不是百分百的同性恋或异性恋,而是介于两者之间。这给歧视同性恋歧视的人出了一个现实难题:到底要歧视谁?你又如何定义?


重点单词   查看全部解释    
community [kə'mju:niti]

想一想再看

n. 社区,社会,团体,共同体,公众,[生]群落

联想记忆
describe [dis'kraib]

想一想再看

vt. 描述,画(尤指几何图形),说成

联想记忆
legal ['li:gəl]

想一想再看

adj. 法律的,合法的,法定的

联想记忆
procession [prə'seʃən]

想一想再看

n. 队伍,行列
v. 列队行进

 
prejudice ['predʒudis]

想一想再看

n. 偏见,伤害
vt. 使 ... 存偏见,

联想记忆
humanity [hju:'mæniti]

想一想再看

n. 人类,人性,人道,慈爱,(复)人文学科

 
screen [skri:n]

想一想再看

n. 屏,幕,银幕,屏风
v. 放映,选拔,掩

 
identify [ai'dentifai]

想一想再看

vt. 识别,认明,鉴定
vi. 认同,感同身

 
employee [.emplɔi'i:]

想一想再看

n. 雇员

联想记忆
narrative ['nærətiv]

想一想再看

n. 叙述,故事
adj. 叙事的,故事体的

 

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。