手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语演讲 > TED十佳演讲话题 > 正文

TED十佳演讲之性别无限:出身决定命运?(5)

来源:可可英语 编辑:max   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet
  
  • And the question to me becomes:
  • 对我来说,问题就变成了:
  • What do we do,
  • 我们要做什么
  • as our science gets to be so good
  • 当我们的科学在解剖学上
  • in looking at anatomy,
  • 如此先进的时候
  • that we reach the point where we have to admit
  • 我们已经到了不得不承认
  • that a democracy that's been based on anatomy
  • 基于解剖学上的人的民主
  • might start falling apart?
  • 也许正在崩溃的时候
  • I don't want to give up the science,
  • 我不想对科学失去希望
  • but at the same time it kind of feels sometimes
  • 但是同时,有的时候隐约觉得
  • like the science is coming out from under us.
  • 科学的发展是受到我们影响的
  • So where do we go?
  • 因此我们将走向何方?
  • It seems like what happens in our culture
  • 看起来我们的社会
  • is a sort of pragmatic attitude:
  • 有着一种实用主义的态度:
  • "Well, we have to draw the line somewhere,
  • “好,我必须在某处画一条界限,
  • so we will draw the line somewhere."
  • 那么我就在那画一条界限”
  • But a lot of people get stuck in a very strange position.
  • 但是很多人会因此陷在一个非常尴尬的位置
  • So for example,
  • 举个例子
  • Texas has at one point decided
  • 德克萨斯州有一个决定
  • that what it means to marry a man
  • 嫁给一个男人
  • is to mean that you don't have a Y chromosome,
  • 意味着你没有Y染色体
  • and what it means to marry a woman means you do have a Y chromosome.
  • 同时如果你娶一个女人意味着你有Y染色体
  • Now in practice they don't actually test people for their chromosomes.
  • 现实中,他们实际上不会去检测染色体
  • But this is also very bizarre,
  • 但是这也非常奇怪
  • because of the story I told you at the beginning
  • 因为我一开始告诉了大家那个关于
  • about androgen insensitivity syndrome.
  • 雄激素不敏感综合征的故事
  • If we look at one of the founding fathers of modern democracy,
  • 如有我们看一下现代民主制度的奠基人之一
  • Dr. Martin Luther King,
  • 马丁·路德·金,博士
  • he offers us something of a solution in his "I have a dream" speech.
  • 在他的“我有一个梦想”的演讲中,为我们提供了一个解决方法
  • He says we should judge people "based not on the color of their skin,
  • 他认为我们“不应该根据一个人的肤色
  • but on the content of their character,"
  • 而是应该根据他的品格”去评判一个人
  • moving beyond anatomy.
  • 摒弃人种差异
  • And I want to say, "Yeah, that sounds like a really good idea."
  • 我想说“是的,那听起来确实是个好方法”
  • But in practice, how do you do it?
  • 但实际操作中,你怎么去做?
  • How do you judge people based on the content of character?
  • 你如何根据他的品德去评判他?
  • I also want to point out
  • 我还想指出
  • that I'm not sure that is how we should distribute rights in terms of humans,
  • 我不太确定我们应该如何分配人类的权利
  • because, I have to admit, that there are some golden retrievers I know
  • 因为,我不得不承认,有些黄金猎犬
  • that are probably more deserving of social services
  • 比起我知道的一些人似乎更应该
  • than some humans I know.
  • 得到社会的帮助
  • I also want to say there are probably also some yellow Labradors that I know
  • 我还想说,我知道有些拉布拉多似乎
  • that are more capable of informed, intelligent, mature decisions
  • 比有些40岁左右的人在性关系问题上
  • about sexual relations than some 40-year-olds that I know.
  • 更慎重,更聪明,更能作出成熟的决定
  • So how do we operationalize
  • 因此我们如何去衡量
  • the question of content of character?
  • 品德的问题?
  • It turns out to be really difficult.
  • 结果证明是非常困难的
  • And part of me also wonders,
  • 我还想知道
  • what if content of character
  • 如果品德的好坏
  • turns out to be something that's scannable in the future --
  • 在未来可以被扫描出来——
  • able to be seen with an fMRI?
  • 也许可以用核磁共振成像看见?
  • Do we really want to go there?
  • 我们真的愿意走到那一步吗?
  • I'm not sure where we go.
  • 我不确定我们将走向何方
  • What I do know is that it seems to be really important
  • 我知道的是应该思考一下
  • to think about the idea of the United States being in the lead
  • 美国所引领的民主存在的问题
  • of thinking about this issue of democracy.
  • 看起来是非常重要的
  • We've done a really good job struggling with democracy,
  • 我们在争取民主的问题上已经做得非常好了
  • and I think we would do a good job in the future.
  • 我认为今后同样会做的更好
  • We don't have a situation that Iran has, for example,
  • 我们情况和伊朗不同,比如
  • where a man who's sexually attracted to other men
  • 一个男人在性方面对其他男人有吸引力
  • is liable to be murdered,
  • 那么他是可以被杀的
  • unless he's willing to submit to a sex change,
  • 除非他愿意改变自己的性取向
  • in which case he's allowed to live.
  • 那么他将可以活下来
  • We don't have that kind of situation.
  • 我们没有那样的情况
  • I'm glad to say we don't have the kind of situation with --
  • 我非常高兴的说我们没有那样的情况--
  • a surgeon I talked to a few years ago
  • 对一位外科医生说,那是在数年之前
  • who had brought over a set of conjoined twins
  • 他带来一个连体婴儿
  • in order to separate them, partly to make a name for himself.
  • 希望可以帮助他们分离,某种程度上也想让自己出名
  • But when I was on the phone with him,
  • 但是当我跟他通电话时
  • asking why he was going to do this surgery --
  • 问他为什么希望做这个手术——
  • this was a very high-risk surgery --
  • 因为这是个危险性很高的手术——
  • his answer was that, in this other nation,
  • 他答道,在这个国家
  • these children were going to be treated very badly, and so he had to do this.
  • 这样的孩子将会被残忍的对待,因此他必须要帮助他们这么做
  • My response to him was, "Well, have you considered political asylum
  • 我对他的回答是,“恩,你为他们考虑过政治避难
  • instead of a separation surgery?"
  • 而不是进行手术吗?”
  • The United States has offered tremendous possibility
  • 美国为像这样的孩子保持他们自己的特征
  • for allowing people to be the way they are,
  • 提供了很大的可能
  • without having them have to be changed for the sake of the state.
  • 他们从不用为了国家改变自己的身体
  • So I think we have to be in the lead.
  • 因此我认为我们应该要引领这种思想


扫描二维码进行跟读打分训练

演讲简介

艾丽丝·德雷格尔和她的同伴一起从事于边缘解剖学,例如连体儿和双性人。根据她的观察,在其他的结构特征中,男性和女性的分界线是很模糊的。为我们带来了一个问题:为什么要让我们的生理特征决定我们的命运。


重点单词   查看全部解释    
asylum [ə'sailəm]

想一想再看

n. 收容所,避难所,庇护,精神病院

联想记忆
syndrome ['sindrəum]

想一想再看

n. 综合症,典型表现

联想记忆
chromosome ['krəuməsəum]

想一想再看

n. 染色体

联想记忆
response [ri'spɔns]

想一想再看

n. 回答,响应,反应,答复
n. [宗

联想记忆
mature [mə'tjuə]

想一想再看

adj. 成熟的,(保单)到期的,考虑周到的

 
separate ['sepəreit]

想一想再看

n. 分开,抽印本
adj. 分开的,各自的,

 
willing ['wiliŋ]

想一想再看

adj. 愿意的,心甘情愿的

 
distribute [di'stribjut]

想一想再看

v. 分配,散布

联想记忆
issue ['iʃju:]

想一想再看

n. 发行物,期刊号,争论点
vi. & vt

 
social ['səuʃəl]

想一想再看

adj. 社会的,社交的
n. 社交聚会

 

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。