手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语演讲 > TED十佳演讲话题 > 正文

TED十佳演讲之生与死:我们能够避免老化(2)

来源:可可英语 编辑:max   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet
  
  • You know, if you haven't got an argument that's that strong,
  • 你知道,如果你还没有比这一个说法更强的论点,
  • then just don't waste my time, is what I say.
  • 那么就不要浪费我的时间。这是我的看法。
  • Now, there is one argument
  • 话虽如此,有一种观点有些人认为,
  • that some people do think really is that strong, and here it is.
  • 确实是很强,我们就在这儿讨论一下。
  • People worry about overpopulation; they say,
  • 人们担心人口过多,他们说,
  • "Well, if we fix aging, no one's going to die to speak of,
  • “好吧,如果我们战胜老化,没有人类死亡可言,
  • or at least the death toll is going to be much lower,
  • 或至少是死亡人数变得低得多,
  • only from crossing St. Giles carelessly.
  • 变得只有不小心越过圣吉尔斯河而死。
  • And therefore, we're not going to be able to have many kids,
  • 因此,我们不需要有很多孩子,
  • and kids are really important to most people."
  • 可是孩子对多数人很重要。”
  • And that's true.
  • 这是事实。
  • And you know, a lot of people try to fudge this question,
  • 你知道,很多人试图捏造这个问题,
  • and give answers like this.
  • 并给予这样的答案。
  • I don't agree with those answers. I think they basically don't work.
  • 我不同意这些答案。我认为它们根本行不通。
  • I think it's true, that we will face a dilemma in this respect.
  • 我认为这是真的,我们会在这方面面临两难。
  • We will have to decide whether to have a low birth rate,
  • 我们将必须决定是否有一个低生育水平,
  • or a high death rate.
  • 或者高死亡率。
  • A high death rate will, of course, arise from simply rejecting these therapies,
  • 拒绝这些战胜老化治疗,死亡率就会变高,
  • in favor of carrying on having a lot of kids.
  • 当然,在这种情况下我们就能生许多孩子。
  • And, I say that that's fine --
  • 我觉得这没问题 –
  • the future of humanity is entitled to make that choice.
  • 人类的下一代,有权做出这个选择。
  • What's not fine is for us to make that choice on behalf of the future.
  • 不正确和不应该的是我们现在就替下一代的做出这个选择。
  • If we vacillate, hesitate,
  • 如果因为我们犹豫,
  • and do not actually develop these therapies,
  • 而不开发这些疗法,
  • then we are condemning a whole cohort of people --
  • 那么我们就等于判了我们的子孙一个不能永远活着的命运。
  • who would have been young enough and healthy enough
  • 本来因为他们够年轻,够健康,
  • to benefit from those therapies, but will not be,
  • 可以获益于这些疗法。
  • because we haven't developed them as quickly as we could --
  • 但因为我们的犹豫,没有尽快开发这些疗法 –
  • we'll be denying those people an indefinite life span,
  • 我们等于不让这些人有更长的寿命,
  • and I consider that that is immoral.
  • 我认为这是不道德的。
  • That's my answer to the overpopulation question.
  • 这是我对人口过多的问题的回应。
  • Right. So the next thing is,
  • 好,接下来的是,
  • now why should we get a little bit more active on this?
  • 为什么我们应该在这一方面积极点?
  • And the fundamental answer is that
  • 最根本的答案是,
  • the pro-aging trance is not as dumb as it looks.
  • 亲老化恍惚并不像它看起来的那么笨。
  • It's actually a sensible way of coping with the inevitability of aging.
  • 它其实是在应对无法避免的老化时的一个很明智的办法。
  • Aging is ghastly, but it's inevitable, so, you know,
  • 老化是可怕的,但它是不可避免的,所以,
  • we've got to find some way to put it out of our minds,
  • 我们必须想尽办法把这想法从我们头脑中忘记,
  • and it's rational to do anything that we might want to do, to do that.
  • 理性地去做我们想要做的事情来改变。
  • Like, for example, making up these ridiculous reasons
  • 例如,人类会想出这些荒谬的原因
  • why aging is actually a good thing after all.
  • 来解释其实老化是件好事。
  • But of course, that only works when we have both of these components.
  • 当然,这些荒谬的原因的起因有两个连接部分
  • And as soon as the inevitability bit becomes a little bit unclear --
  • 只要命中注定那个部分在我们的脑海中没那么的肯定,
  • and we might be in range of doing something about aging --
  • 我们就可以开始对战胜老化采取行动,
  • this becomes part of the problem.
  • 这是老化问题的一部分。
  • This pro-aging trance is what stops us from agitating about these things.
  • 这亲老化恍惚常常妨碍人们解决老化这个问题。
  • And that's why we have to really talk about this a lot --
  • 这就是为什么我们一定要继续提出以及谈论这个课题,
  • evangelize, I will go so far as to say, quite a lot --
  • 我甚至会说 –
  • in order to get people's attention, and make people realize
  • 为了吸引人们的注意力,使人们认识到,
  • that they are in a trance in this regard.
  • 他们在这方面的恍惚,
  • So that's all I'm going to say about that.
  • 关于这个话题我就说到这里。
  • I'm now going to talk about feasibility.
  • 我现在要谈的是第三点,打败老化的可行性。
  • And the fundamental reason, I think, why we feel that aging is inevitable
  • 其根本原因,我想,为什么我们认为老化是不可避免的,
  • is summed up in a definition of aging that I'm giving here.
  • 是可以用我在这儿给老化的定义作为总结。
  • A very simple definition.
  • 这是一个非常简单的定义。
  • Aging is a side effect of being alive in the first place,
  • 老化是一种活着的副作用,
  • which is to say, metabolism.
  • 也就是说,新陈代谢的副作用。
  • This is not a completely tautological statement;
  • 这并不是一个完全同义重复的声明,
  • it's a reasonable statement.
  • 它是一个合理的声明。
  • Aging is basically a process that happens to inanimate objects like cars,
  • 老龄化基本上是一个过程,发生在无生命的物体如汽车,
  • and it also happens to us,
  • 也发生在人类的身上,
  • despite the fact that we have a lot of clever self-repair mechanisms,
  • 尽管我们的身体有很多聪明的自我修复机制,
  • because those self-repair mechanisms are not perfect.
  • 因为这些自我修复机制还不完善。
  • So basically, metabolism, which is defined as
  • 基本上,新陈代谢,就是说
  • basically everything that keeps us alive from one day to the next,
  • 所有为了让我们能够每一天活着所维持的种种化学过程,
  • has side effects.
  • 有副作用。
  • Those side effects accumulate and eventually cause pathology.
  • 这些副作用会不断的积累,最终导致病理。
  • That's a fine definition. So we can put it this way:
  • 这是一个不错的定义。因此,我们可以这样表达,
  • we can say that, you know, we have this chain of events.
  • 我们可以说,大家都知道,我们有着这一系列事件。
  • And there are really two games in town,
  • 而且根据大多数人,对于推迟衰老,
  • according to most people, with regard to postponing aging.
  • 只有两种方法。
  • They're what I'm calling here the "gerontology approach" and the "geriatrics approach."
  • 这两种方法就是老年学和老年医学。


扫描二维码进行跟读打分训练

演讲简介

剑桥大学的研究员奥布里德格雷Aubrey de Grey认为,衰老只不过是一种疾病——一种可治愈的疾病。根据奥布里德格雷Aubrey de Grey,人类的衰老主要体现在7个方面,所有这一切都可以得以避免。


重点单词   查看全部解释    
defined [di'faind]

想一想再看

adj. 有定义的,确定的;清晰的,轮廓分明的 v. 使

 
accumulate [ə'kju:mjuleit]

想一想再看

vt. 积聚,累加,堆积
vi. 累积

联想记忆
definition [.defi'niʃən]

想一想再看

n. 定义,阐释,清晰度

联想记忆
humanity [hju:'mæniti]

想一想再看

n. 人类,人性,人道,慈爱,(复)人文学科

 
range [reindʒ]

想一想再看

n. 范围,行列,射程,山脉,一系列
v. 排

 
span [spæn]

想一想再看

n. 跨度,跨距,间距
vt. 横跨,贯穿,估

 
ridiculous [ri'dikjuləs]

想一想再看

adj. 荒谬的,可笑的

联想记忆
eventually [i'ventjuəli]

想一想再看

adv. 终于,最后

 
sensible ['sensəbl]

想一想再看

adj. 可察觉的,意识到的,实用的
n. 可

联想记忆
haven ['heivn]

想一想再看

n. 港口,避难所,安息所 v. 安置 ... 于港中,

联想记忆

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。