手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语演讲 > TED十佳演讲话题 > 正文

TED十佳演讲之生与死:为生命的终结做好准备(1)

来源:可可英语 编辑:max   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet
  
  • What would be a good end of life?
  • 什么是一个生活美好的结尾?
  • And I'm talking about the very end.
  • 我所说的是最终的结尾
  • I'm talking about dying.
  • 我所说的是死亡
  • We all think a lot about how to live well.
  • 我们都在想如何更好的生活
  • I'd like to talk about increasing our chances of dying well.
  • 而我想要谈的是,如何更美好地告别人生
  • I'm not a geriatrician.
  • 我并不是老年病学家
  • I design reading programs for preschoolers.
  • 我为学前班的孩子设计阅读课程
  • What I know about this topic
  • 我对这个话题的了解
  • comes from a qualitative study with a sample size of two.
  • 来源于一个定性的研究,其中有两个案例
  • In the last few years, I helped two friends
  • 在过去的几年,我帮助两个好朋友
  • have the end of life they wanted.
  • 以他们想要的方式,结束了他们的生命
  • Jim and Shirley Modini spent their 68 years of marriage Jim
  • 和 Shirley Modini度过了他们68年的婚姻生活
  • living off the grid on their 1,700-acre ranch
  • 生活在远离城镇的,1,700英亩的牧场里
  • in the mountains of Sonoma County. Sonoma
  • 县的山区
  • They kept just enough livestock to make ends meet
  • 他们喂养了仅仅是能养活他们自己的家禽
  • so that the majority of their ranch would remain a refuge
  • 所以这大部分的牧场变成了避难所
  • for the bears and lions and so many other things
  • 给熊,狮子和其他的动物
  • that lived there.
  • 生活在那里
  • This was their dream.
  • 这正是他们的梦想
  • I met Jim and Shirley in their 80s.
  • 我在两个老人年迈八十的时候遇见他们
  • They were both only children who chose not to have kids.
  • 他们只有一个子女,而他选择不要孩子
  • As we became friends, I became their trustee
  • 当我们成为朋友后,我变成了他们的托管人
  • and their medical advocate,
  • 与他们的医疗顾问
  • but more importantly, I became
  • 但是更重要的是
  • the person who managed their end-of-life experiences.
  • 我成为了帮助他们结束生活的那个人
  • And we learned a few things about how to have a good end.
  • 并且我们学到了,如何有个好的结局
  • In their final years, Jim and Shirley
  • 在最后的几年里, Jim和 Shirley
  • faced cancers, fractures, infections, neurological illness.
  • 他们面对着癌症,骨折,传染病和神经上上的疾病
  • It's true.
  • 这是真的
  • At the end, our bodily functions
  • 人到了最后,我们身体的功能
  • and independence are declining to zero.
  • 和独立性会降低到零
  • What we found is that, with a plan and the right people,
  • 我们发现,如果有正确的计划和人
  • quality of life can remain high.
  • 他们还是可以拥有高品质的生活
  • The beginning of the end is triggered
  • 结束的开始是被其他所引起的
  • by a mortality awareness event, and during this time,
  • 像对死亡的意识,并且在此期间
  • Jim and Shirley chose ACR nature preserves Jim
  • 和 Shirley选择了ACR自然保护区
  • to take their ranch over when they were gone.
  • 在他们去世后接手牧场
  • This gave them the peace of mind to move forward.
  • 这给了他们一片祥和,然后继续前行
  • It might be a diagnosis. It might be your intuition.
  • 这可能是个诊断,也可能是你的直觉
  • But one day, you're going to say, "This thing is going to get me."
  • 有一天,你会说,这样的事情会打垮我
  • Jim and Shirley spent this time Jim
  • 和Shirley用这些时间
  • letting friends know that their end was near
  • 让他们的朋友知道,离他们离开人世的时间不远了
  • and that they were okay with that.
  • 而他们对此没有埋怨
  • Dying from cancer and dying from neurological illness
  • 因为患癌症与神经疾病而死去
  • are different.
  • 是不一样的
  • In both cases, last days are about quiet reassurance.
  • 两种情况,最后的几天都非常安详
  • Jim died first. He was conscious until the very end, Jim
  • 先离去,到最后他都非常的清醒
  • but on his last day he couldn't talk.
  • 但是在他最后一天,他说不了话
  • Through his eyes, we knew when he needed to hear again,
  • 通过他的眼睛,我们知道当他想听我们说话
  • "It is all set, Jim. We're going to take care of Shirley
  • “什么都很好,Jim。我们会好好照顾 Shirley。
  • right here at the ranch,
  • 就在此时,在牧场
  • and ACR's going to take care of your wildlife forever."
  • ACR会永远帮你保护好这里的野生动植物
  • From this experience I'm going to share five practices.
  • 从这个经历中,我想和大家分享五个方案
  • I've put worksheets online,
  • 我已经把步骤公布在了网上
  • so if you'd like, you can plan your own end.
  • 所以如果你愿意,你可以计划你自己结束的方式
  • It starts with a plan.
  • 这个步骤以着手计划开始
  • Most people say, "I'd like to die at home."
  • 很多人会说”我愿意死在家里."
  • Eighty percent of Americans die in a hospital
  • 但是百分之八十的美国人,在医院里死去
  • or a nursing home.
  • 或者是养老院
  • Saying we'd like to die at home is not a plan.
  • 所以说想死在家里,并不是一个计划
  • A lot of people say, "If I get like that, just shoot me."
  • 很多人又会说“如果我像那样,一枪打死我”
  • This is not a plan either; this is illegal.
  • 这也不是,因为不合法


扫描二维码进行跟读打分训练

演讲简介

当我们想到死亡的时候总是可怕的,但是提前准备是切实的,并且可以为临终前的安静留下足够的空间。在一个庄严并深思熟虑的演讲中,Judy MacDonald Johnston 分享了5个为美好的临终生活做计划的方法。


重点单词   查看全部解释    
illegal [i'li:gəl]

想一想再看

adj. 不合法的,非法的
n. 非法移民

联想记忆
intuition [.intju:'iʃən]

想一想再看

n. 直觉,直觉的知识

 
advocate ['ædvəkeit,'ædvəkit]

想一想再看

n. 提倡者,拥护者,辩护者,律师
v. 主张

联想记忆
majority [mə'dʒɔriti]

想一想再看

n. 多数,大多数,多数党,多数派
n.

 
independence [.indi'pendəns]

想一想再看

n. 独立,自主,自立

 
awareness [ə'wɛənis]

想一想再看

n. 认识,意识,了解

联想记忆
reassurance [.ri:ə'ʃuərəns]

想一想再看

n. 再保证,再安慰

联想记忆
declining [di'klainiŋ]

想一想再看

adj. 下降的,衰落的 动词decline的现在分词

 
sample ['sæmpl]

想一想再看

n. 样品,样本
vt. 采样,取样

联想记忆
conscious ['kɔnʃəs]

想一想再看

adj. 神志清醒的,意识到的,自觉的,有意的

联想记忆

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。