手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语美文欣赏 > 英语沙龙 > 正文

英语沙龙:给一位小朋友的信Letter to a Young Friend

编辑:keke   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet
  
  • Letter to a Young Friend
  • 给一位小朋友的信
  • Among all the people I know, there is one very special friend.She is young,beautiful and intelligent.
  • 在我熟悉的人中,有一位特别的朋友:年幼、皎美、聪慧。
  • Her name is Caroline,she lives in Hongkong and she is 7 years old.
  • 她名叫卡罗琳,7岁,家住香港,
  • She goes to a school meant mainly for expatriate children.
  • 正在一所主要为移民孩子开设的学校里读书。
  • Her mother,Australia n by birth,has lived in Hongkong all her life.
  • 她母亲虽出生在澳大利亚,后来却一直住在香港。
  • Her father is Swiss and owns a small trading company.
  • 她的父亲是瑞士人,在香港拥有一家小小的贸易公司。
  • Recently when I was at their home,Caroline picked up a copy of Asiaweek and,spotting my picture,asked me what I write about.I told her that it's mainly about people.
  • 不久前,我到她家做客。她拿起一本《亚洲周刊》,认出了我在上面的一张照片,于是问我究竟写些什么。我告诉她我主要是写人。
  • "Oh,why don't you write about me sometime?"she asked in her usual imperious manner.
  • "哦,为什么不找点时间写写我呢?"她问道,带着常有的那种急迫的样子。
  • I told her that when she grows up and becomes famous,many people will write about her.
  • 我告诉她,等她长大成名,会有不少人写她的。
  • "Okay,then,just write me a letter,like Uncle Charles from Sydney,"she commanded.I promised her that,and here it is:
  • "好的。那么现在就以悉尼的哈里伯伯的名义给我写信吧。"对她的要求,我作了承诺。这不就是:
  • Dear Caroline,
  • 亲爱的卡罗琳:
  • I am glad that you asked me to write to you.
  • 真高兴给你写信。
  • I have wanted to talk to you about a lot of things,but you are always so busy.
  • 我有好多好多事要告诉你,可你总是忙。
  • There's school and piano or ballet lessons,then homework or a birthday party to go to.
  • 你要读书,上钢琴课、芭蕾课,还有作业呀,参加生日舞会什么的。
  • Once a week you have to write to Granny in Zurich and Uncle Charles in Sydney.
  • 每周,你要给苏黎世的奶奶和悉尼的伯伯写信,
  • You are almost as busy as big-business people in Hongkong.
  • 真像香港的大老板那样忙碌。
  • It's a pity that you can't keep a pet and have nowhere to ride a bike.
  • 我真同情你,既没养小动物,也没地方骑小车。
  • That's why,I think,your mother gives you other things to keep you busy.
  • 我想,你妈妈安排了那么多的事要你做,就是不让你闲着吧。
  • Though you don't like ballet class,she wants you to grow up to be a lady.
  • 虽然你不太喜欢学芭蕾,妈妈却希望这能帮助你成为一个标准的好姑娘。
  • You see,most parents want for their children what they admired in their own childhood.
  • 要知道,大多数父母,都期待着自己童年的梦想在他们的孩子们身上实现。
  • When your mother was young it was considered a treat for girls to learn music and dance.
  • 当你妈妈年轻时,那时姑娘们的风尚就是习歌学舞。
  • But if you would like to study other things,too,never think you can't or shouldn't just because someone says they are only for boys.
  • 可是,如果你想学些其他知识,别只因有些人说只有男孩才能做,就认为自己不行或不该做。
  • Women today are astronauts,engineers,doctors, pilots and politicians.Don't limit your choices to what girls did in the past.
  • 今天的女性中有宇航员、工程师、医生,也有飞行员和政治家。别把自己的选择限制在过去女孩所做的事情中。
  • You remember the day when your father and I took you to the tennis tournament ?
  • 记得有一天我与你爸爸带你去看网球赛吗?
  • You were waiting with friends at school and there was another girl standing alone.
  • 你和你的朋友们聚在校门口等着,旁边却孤零零地站着一位小姑娘。
  • I think she was from Sri Lanka and one of the few Asian students in your school.
  • 我想她一定来自斯里兰卡,是你们学校中为数不多的亚洲学生中的一位。
  • Why don't you talk to her sometimes and find out more about her beautiful country?
  • 干吗不与她聊聊呢,多了解些她那个美丽国家的事情。
  • I am sure you also have some Chinese schoolmates.Hongkong is their home,you know,and they will be here when your other friends have gone.
  • 我敢肯定你还有华人同学。你知道,香港是他们的家。当你的那些朋友离开以后,他们还会留在这儿。
  • Don't forget that Hongkong is really your home,too --not Zurich or Sydney.
  • 别忘了香港也是你的家---不是苏黎世也不是悉尼。
  • Even if you leave,you will always remember it.
  • 即使你今后走了,你也会常常怀念这个地方。
  • So why not make some good friends who will still be here in case you decide to come back for a visit?
  • 试想,有一天你打算回香港观光,干吗现在不多交些仍将留在本地的好朋友呢?
  • I know you don't get a chance to make too many local friends.
  • 我知道你没有机会去交很多当地的朋友。
  • The club where you swim has few Asian children,and I thought it sad that the schoolbooks of yours that I saw don't teach anything about China or anywhere else in Asia.
  • 在你游泳的俱乐部中没几个亚洲的小朋友。更叫我伤感的是,我所看到的你们的教科书中都没有讲到中国或亚洲其他一些地方的情况。
  • Students in Australia today are learning more about Asia than your classmates are.
  • 今天的澳大利亚学生比你的同学们知道的亚洲的事情要多得多。
  • By the time you grow up,Australia is likely to consider itself a member of the family of Asian countries.
  • 当你长大的时候,澳大利亚说不定会把自己看成是亚洲的一员。
  • You may be proud of calling yourself an Asian.
  • 你也许会因称自己为亚洲人而感到骄傲呢。
  • But by then people like you would be sons and daughters of many countries.
  • 到那时,你们都是众多国家的儿女,每一个人都会理解我们共同分享的世界,
  • And you would be important in helping everyone understand the world we all share.
  • 你也会因为乐于帮助每一个人而显得重要。
  • I'll never forget the evening when you saw the man with a basket full of newborn kittens.
  • 我永远忘不了一个傍晚的情形。你碰见一个人提着一篮子刚出窝的猫仔。
  • He said that if nobody bought them,they would have to be drowned.
  • 那人说,如果没人买,就只能将这些小猫儿溺死。
  • You couldn't stop crying when you were not allowed to take one home.
  • 你哭得好伤心哟,就因为不准你带一只回家。
  • Sad to say,the world is filled with things a lot crueller than that.
  • 可令人悲伤的是,世界上比这惨的事多着呢。
  • Too many prople,too little space.Too much fear and greed and too little love and mercy.
  • 人太多,空间却太少;太多的恐惧和贪婪,太少的爱意与怜悯。
  • We pretend that other people's problems are not ours and get angry when they affect us.
  • 我们装着对别人的困难视而不见;一旦影响到自己还怒发冲冠。
  • Remember the day you got a rash from swimming in the dirty ocean?
  • 还记得那天你在脏海里游泳后起了皮疹吗?
  • Think about the poor fish who have to live in that water.
  • 再想想那些可怜的鱼儿,却不得不在水里忍受长年。
  • The air we breathe all the time is getting dirtier,too.
  • 我们呼吸的空气也变得越来越臭。
  • We'll all be proud if you become a great ballerina or pianist.
  • 当然,如果你今后成为舞蹈家或钢琴家,我们会引为自豪。
  • But don't forget there are so many other things to do.
  • 但别忘了,要做的事还远不止这些。
  • My hope is that you grow up to be not only a lady but a woman who knows enough about the wider world to help improve it.
  • 我希望你长大后不仅是一位贤德的淑女,同时是一位深知这个广博世界而又献身为她造福的女士。
  • Then,Caroline,there really would be hundreds of people interested in writing about you.
  • 那样的话,卡罗琳,成千上万的人都会追着写你。
  • Uncle Hari
  • 哈里伯伯


扫描二维码进行跟读打分训练

编者按:

我永远忘不了一个傍晚的情形。你碰见一个人提着一篮子刚出窝的猫仔。那人说,如果没人买,就只能将这些小猫儿溺死。你哭得好伤心哟,就因为不准你带一只回家。

Letter to a Young Friend



Among all the people I knowthere is one very special friendShe is youngbeautiful and intelligent1).Her name is Carolineshe lives in Hongkong and she is 7 years oldShe goes to a school meant mainly for expatriate2) childrenHer motherAustralia n by birthhas lived in Hongkong all her lifeHer father is Swiss3) and owns a small trading companyRecently when I was at their homeCaroline picked up a copy of Asiaweek andspotting my pictureasked me what I write aboutI told her that it' s mainly about people.“Ohwhy don't you write about me sometime?”she asked in her usual imperious4) mannerI told her that when she grows up and becomes famousmany people will write about her.“Okaythenjust write me a letterlike Uncle Charles from Sydney,”she commandedI promised her thatand here it is

Dear Caroline

I am glad that you asked me to write to youI have wanted to talk to you about a lot of thingsbut you are always so busyThere's school and piano or ballet5) lessonsthen homework or a birthday party to go toOnce a week you have to write to Granny in Zurich and Uncle Charles in SydneyYou are almost as busy as bigbusiness people in HongkongIt's a pity that you can't keep a pet and have nowhere to ride a bikeThat's whyI thinkyour mother gives you other things to keep you busyThough you don't like ballet classshe wants you to grow up to be a ladyYou seemost parents want for their children what they admired in their own childhoodWhen your mother was young it was considered a treat for girls to learn music and danceBut if you would like to study other thingstoonever think you can't or shouldn't just because someone says they are only for boysWomen today are astronauts6),engineersdoctorspilots7) and politiciansDon't limit your choices to what girls did in the past

You remember the day when your father and I took you to the tennis tournament8)?You were waiting with friends at school and there was another girl standing aloneI think she was from Sri Lanka and one of the few Asian students in your schoolWhy don't you talk to her sometimes and find out more about her beautiful countryI am sure you also have some Chinese schoolmatesHongkong is their homeyou knowand they will be here when your other friends have goneDon't forget that Hongkong is really your hometoo --not Zurich or SydneyEven if you leaveyou will always remember itSo why not make some good friends who will still be here in case you decide to come back for a visit

I know you don't get a chance to make too many local friendsThe club where you swim has few Asian childrenand I thought it sad that the schoolbooks of yours that I saw don't teach anything about China or anywhere else in AsiaStudents in Australia today are learning more about Asia than your classmates areBy the time you grow upAustralia is likely to consider itself a member of the family of Asian countriesYou may be proud of calling yourself an AsianBut by then people like you would be sons and daughters of many countriesAnd you would be important in helping everyone understand the world we all share

I'll never forget the evening when you saw the man with a basket full of newborn kittensHe said that if nobody bought themthey would have to be drownedYou couldn't stop crying when you were not allowed to take one homeSad to saythe world is filled with things a lot crueller9) than thatToo many propletoo little spaceToo much fear and greed and too little love and mercyWe pretend that other people's problems are not ours and get angry when they affect usRemember the day you got a rash from swimming in the dirty ocean

Think about the poor fish who have to live in that waterThe air we breathe all the time is getting dirtiertooWe'll all be proud if you become a great ballerina or pianistBut don't forget there are so many other things to doMy hope is that you grow up to be not only a lady but a woman who knows enough about the wider world to help improve itThenCarolinethere really would be hundreds of people interested in writing about you

Uncle Hari

by Hari Bed

重点单词   查看全部解释    
pity ['piti]

想一想再看

n. 同情,怜悯,遗憾,可惜
v. 同情,怜悯

 
pilot ['pailət]

想一想再看

n. 飞行员,领航员,引航员
vt. 领航,驾

联想记忆
intelligent [in'telidʒənt]

想一想再看

adj. 聪明的,智能的

 
rash [ræʃ]

想一想再看

adj. 鲁莽的
n. 疹子,大量

联想记忆
ballet ['bælei]

想一想再看

n. 芭蕾舞

联想记忆
imperious [im'piəriəs]

想一想再看

adj. 傲慢的,专横的

联想记忆
greed [gri:d]

想一想再看

n. 贪心,贪婪

 
understand [.ʌndə'stænd]

想一想再看

vt. 理解,懂,听说,获悉,将 ... 理解为,认为<

 
mercy ['mə:si]

想一想再看

n. 怜悯,宽恕,仁慈,恩惠
adj.

 
tournament ['tuənəmənt]

想一想再看

n. 比赛,锦标赛,(中世纪的)骑士比武

联想记忆

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。