LESSON 16 The wasp and the bee
第十六课 黄蜂和蜜蜂
A wasp met a bee that was just buzzing by,
And he said, Little cousin, can you tell me why
他问:小表妹,你能告诉我为什么
You are loved so much better by people than I?
人类爱你比爱我更多吗?”
My back shines as bright and as yellow as gold,
我的背发光像黄金一样又亮又黄,
And my shape is most elegant,too, to behold;
我的身材看起来也是最优雅的;
Yet nobody likes me for that, I am told.—
但是我被告知没人因为这些喜欢我。”——
Ah, cousin! said the bee, 'tis all very true;
呀,表哥!”蜜蜂说,“这些都对;
But if I were half as much mischief to do,
但如果我把尽可能多的恶作剧做了一半,
Indeed they would love me no better than you.
他们对我的爱真的不会比你多多少。
You have a fine shape, and a delicate wing;
你有好的身材,精美的翅膀;
They own you are handsome;but then there's one thing
他们承认你很英俊;但有一件事
They cannot put up with and that is your sting.
他们不能忍受,那就是你的刺。
My coat is quite homely and plain, as you see,
就像你看到的,我的外表非常平凡、朴素,
Yet nobody ever is angry with me—
但没人曾生过我的气——
Because I'm a harmless and diligent bee.
因为我是一只无害的、勤劳的蜜蜂。”
From this little story let people beware;
这个小故事让人们当心;
Because, like the wasp, if ill-natured they are,
因为,就像黄蜂,如果他们心地不良,
They will never be loved, though ever so fair.
尽管非常美丽,他们也不会受人喜爱。
What did the wasp ask the bee? Why did he think people should love him? What did the bee say people could not put up with? What kind of coat had the bee? Why was nobody ever angry with her? Ill-natured people will…? though they are…?
黄蜂问了蜜蜂什么?为什么他认为人们应该喜爱他?蜜蜂说人们不能忍受什么?蜜蜂有怎样的外表?为什么人们从来没有生过她的气?心地不良的人会怎样?尽管他们怎样?