Albuquerque Police. Hello.
阿尔布开克警察,你好
Sir, we'd like to talk with you for a minute.
先生,我们想跟你谈谈
Could you open the door, please?
你能开下门吗
Look, we know you're in there.
我们知道你在里面
You're casting a shadow through your peephole.
从猫眼里都能看到你的影子
All we want to do is talk.
我们只想谈谈
Would you please open the door?
你能开下门吗
I'd, I'd prefer not to, officers.
还是算了吧,警官
Sir, come on and open up.
先生,请开门
I have a condition.
我情况特殊
I can't go outside
我不能出门
or be exposed to what's out there.
或者暴露在外界环境中
You were able to come outside to steal your neighbor's newspaper.
可你都出门偷邻居报纸了
I didn't steal it.
我没偷啊
I left $5.
我留了五美金
The, the cover price is 50 cents.
标价才五十美分啊
Did your neighbor consent to sell you her paper?
你的邻居同意把报纸卖给你了吗
I...
我
She -- i-isn't --
她,这
L-- um, officer, let's -- let's --
警官,让我们
Let's talk about something called "Probable cause."
来谈谈一个叫"合理根据"的东西
As I'm sure you know, in the state of New Mexico,
你们肯定知道,在新墨西哥州
there is a two-part test
有一个两部分的测试
to determine whether police officers
来决定警官是否有
have an objectively reasonable basis...
客观上合理的依据...
...the situation a-as missing,
在对亚利桑那州的诉讼中
versus Arizona,
该情况是缺失的
as I pointed out creates an event...
正如我指出的,造成一个后果...
Hey, Tommy. Come around here, would you?
汤米,过来看看
A-and that's why the 10th circuit court of appeals
这就是为什么第十巡回上诉法庭
ruled that a coercive order...
判了强制令...
Check this out.
看看这个
...requiring an individual leave his house is seizure...
要求一个人离开自己家无异于抓捕
...and, therefore,
因此
protected under the Fourth Amendment, right?
我受第四修正案的保护,不是吗
Whole lot of camp-stove fuel.
都是便携炉用的燃料
Guy sure as shit sounds like a tweaker.
他简直就像个神经病
You see what he did to the breaker box?
你看到他的电路盒了吗
Is he coming out, or are we going in?
他出来,还是我们进去
You got 10 seconds to open this door,
你有十秒钟的时间开门
or it's coming down. You hear me?
不然我们会破门而入,你听到了吗
Final warning!
这是最后的警告
Okay, I'll-I'll let you in,
我让你们进来
but you have to leave your electronic devices outside.
但你们得把所有的电子设备都留在外面
No phones, no walkie-talkies,
手机,对讲机
no flashlights--
手电筒
definitely, definitely no tasers.
电击枪更不能带进来
I can't emphasize that enough. Deal?
这个最为关键,行吗
Or, look, look. I'll give the paper back.
我会把报纸还回去的
Yeah?
谁
James McGill to see Mr. Richard Sipes.
詹姆斯·麦吉尔来拜访理查德·赛普斯
Ricky, call me "Ricky."
里基,叫我里基就好
Come on in.
进来吧
This is my assistant's car.
这是我助理的车
Well, my Mercedes is in the shop.
我的奔驰还在店里维修
I ought to give him a raise. You're right.
看来我得给他涨工资了,你说得对
Jim, I saw you on the TV--
吉米,我在电视上看到你了
that billboard thing.
广告牌风云
And I had me a pair of insights.
我发现了两个闪光点
Insight the first--
第一个闪光点
you ain't afraid to put yourself out there.
你不怕舍身救人
And insight the second,
第二个闪光点
you believe in the real America--
你相信真正的美国精神
freedom, self-sufficiency.
自由自在,自给自足
I do. I-I really do.
我相信,我真的相信
When I see a man like you
当我看到像你这样的人
driving that foreign shitbox of a car...
开着那辆烂车
Well, see, actually, it's--
那辆车其实是
It's a sign a good man can't get ahead today.
说明这年头,好人没有好报
It's a damned travesty. That's what it is.
真是荒谬至极
Well, that may be, Ricky,
也许是这样,里基
but...
但是
I refuse to consider myself a victim.
我不认为自己是个受害者
You know, we are once again at a point in our history
历史再一次重演了
where the fly-swatting hand of government
政府那苍蝇拍一样的大手
is crushing the spirit of entrepreneurship --
正在扼杀企业家的自由灵魂
Taxes, OSHA requirements,
税收,职业安全与健康管理局的要求
the I.N.S. poking their big, fat nose into every mother-loving hire.
国新社用肥大的鼻子嗅着每一个雇员的动作
It's damned oppressive.
这是赤裸裸的压迫
It's tragic.
很不幸
It's un-American.
这是非美国式的
Jim, I think you are just the lawyer I need,
吉米,我认为你就是我所需要的律师
'cause I got me a case -- major -I say, a major case.
因为我的案子很大,是个大案子
Are you ready to clear your calendar?
你准备好腾出时间了吗
Ricky, I'm all ears.
里基,我洗耳恭听
I want to secede from the United States.
我要脱离美利坚合众国
Now, I got 1,100 acres of property here,
如今我在这里有4.4平方公里的房产
self-sustaining with solar power and wells,
用太阳能和井水可以自给自足
a sovereign state immune to the business-killing regulations
不受垄断条令约束的主权国
of the country in which it geographically lies.
虽在美国地理范围内却不受管制
We are going to be America's Vatican City.
我们要成为美国的梵蒂冈城
Ricky...
里基
I'm your man.
我跟你干
Yeah, let's do this.
好啊,我们开始吧
Let's show 'em all.
让我们做给他们看
Yes! We are doing this!
是的,我们就要这样做
Now, it's not gonna be easy, sir.
可是这条路不会一帆风顺的
I mean, the government is gonna fight us tooth and nail.
政府会跟我们展开恶战
We could end up in the Supreme Court --
最后我们可能会上最高法院
I'm talking thousands of man-hours --
这可能要花费数千工时
I mean, years of effort.
经过数年的努力
Are you ready for that?
你准备好了吗
Me?
我吗
I say bring 'em on.
让他们放马过来吧
Let's talk turkey.
我们开诚布公地说吧
What's your rate?
你的收费标准是多少
$450 an hour.
每小时四百五十元
The hell with hourly.
不按小时算
I want you on retainer.
直接付定金
How about $1 million even --
一百万怎么样
$500,000 up front and $500,000 when we're done?
预付五十万,搞定后再付另一半
A million?
一百万
That seems...fair.
听起来,很公平
Would you like that in cash?
你愿意收现金吗
Tax-free and backed by the full faith and credit
免税而且有桑迪亚共和国的
of the sovereign Sandia Republic.
十足信用作为担保
It's, uh...
这是...
Son...you are getting in on the ground floor.
小子,你占尽了先机啊
Mr. McGill, hi.
麦吉尔先生你好
Thanks so much for coming.
感谢你的到来
Roland Jaycocks. Roland.
我是罗兰·杰科克斯,叫我罗兰
Hey, Roland. Great to meet you.
罗兰,认识你很高兴
You can call me "Jimmy."
你可以叫我吉米
Jimmy, absolutely.
吉米,当然了
Hello. Please, come on in.
你好,请进
Well, thank you.
谢谢你
God, what was it like climbing that billboard?
天呐,爬那个广告板是什么感觉
Must have been pretty scary, huh?
一定很吓人吧
Guy needed help -- that's all.
那个人需要帮助,仅此而已
You know, if I could do it, anybody could.
其实我做的事,别人也都能做
Well, my hat is off to you.
我很佩服你
So, here we are.
就是这里了
And patent law is something you --
专利法是不是你...
Oh, yeah. In fact, I-I do so many patent cases,
是的,实际上我接过很多专利案件
I should probably just go ahead and specialize already.
我以后专接专利案件得了
So, what do we got?
这是什么
I feel silly asking this. Yeah.
我有个不情之请, 请说
But before I show you my invention,
在我向你展示我的发明之前
would you mind signing a non-disclosure agreement?
你介不介意签署一份保密协议
You got it. No problem.
当然可以,没问题
It's my idea of a lifetime.
这是我毕生的心血
If Fisher-Price or Playskool ever got their hands on this...
万一费雪或者孩之宝得知了这个想法...
No worries.
无需担心
You ready?
准备好了吗
I may have seen one of these before.
我以前好像看过这样的东西
Not like this.
和这个不一样
This one has this little unit I've added.
我在这上面加了个小装置
This is my invention.
这才是我的发明
Do you have children? No.
你有孩子吗, 没有
My wife and I have two boys -- 4 and 6.
我和我妻子有两个男孩,一个四岁一个六岁
And let me tell you -- toilet-training them?
说真的,教他们学会上厕所
Nightmare, both times.
真是场噩梦,两个都是
They just didn't want to use the commode.
他们不习惯用坐便器
So I wired a motion sensor to a voice chip,
所以我在传感器上连了一个语音芯片
and, well, no sense getting all technical,
没必要说得那么专业
but it's all about positive reinforcement.
关键就是正强化
Meet Tony the toilet buddy.
这就是"如厕好伙伴托尼"
And when you sit down to do your business,
当你坐下去准备上厕所
this is how he works.
它是这样工作的
Oh, yeah, that's the way!
对,就是这样
Gosh, you're big!
天呐,好大
You're so big!
你真大
My goodness! Look at you!
天呐,你真棒
Fill me up, Chandler!
快把我塞满,钱德勒
Put it in me!
快放进来
Chandler's my youngest -- loves it.
钱德勒是我的小儿子,他很喜欢
Give it to me, Chandler! I want it all!
快给我,钱德勒,我想要
Anyway, it goes on from there.
后面还有呢
You get the picture.
不过大致就这样
Yeah, I, uh...
没错,我...
Yeah.
是的
So, what do you think?
那么你觉得怎么样
It's a little sexual, maybe?
这是不是太挑逗了
Sexual? What -- what does that...
挑逗,你是什么意思...
Suggestive, maybe --
带有某种暗示,可能
Maybe that's a better word.
可能这种说法比较合适
Look, I'm not --
听着,我并没有
I'm not saying this thing won't make you rich.
我不是说这个发明不会让你发财
I mean, some of your wealthier Pacific rim nations --
有些环太平洋国家的富人
They'll love this -- the crazy bastards.
那帮变态疯子,他们会爱死这个的
I created this for children -- children, understand?
这项发明是面向孩子的,孩子,明白吗
Viagra was originally invented to treat hypertension.
伟哥起初还是用来治疗高血压的呢
Look how that turned out.
结果呢
You're completely disgusting, you know that?!
你真是叫人作呕
Hey, buddy, you're the one with the sex toilet.
伙计,你才是发明性爱马桶的人
Get off my property!
马上滚出我家
Hey, you know what?
对了
I hope you do make a fortune,
我真心希望你能大赚一笔
'cause Chandler's gonna need it to help pay for his therapy!
然后用这笔钱给钱德勒做心理治疗吧
I found the Alpine Shepherd boy!
我找到了阿尔卑斯牧童
No, no. You just stay put.
不,你就坐那儿
I'll be right over.
我这就过去
Now, where were we?
我们说到哪儿了
Oh, would you like some more tea?
再来点茶吧
No! No, thank you. I'm -I'm fine.
不,谢谢,不用了
Now, the shepherd boy Hummel --
那么牧羊少年赫梅尔
That's gonna go to your nephew Clarence?
是要留给你的侄子克拉伦斯吗
As long as he finishes college. Okay.
只要他能念完大学, 好的
If he drops out, it goes to my niece Raylene.
如果他辍学,那就留给我的侄女雷琳
But then, Raylene doesn't get the girl --
但雷琳就得不到那个姑娘...
The girl with the geese.
那个养鹅姑娘
Yeah. No, then that would go to your cousin Helen...
那就留给你的表亲海伦
...so long as she never remarries Frederick?
条件是她不和弗雷德里克复婚对吗
Exactly. Yeah.
没错, 好的
And no matter what, I want the towheaded twins
还有这对黄发双胞胎瓷人
to go to Reverend Lawrence's grandson.
我无论如何要留给劳伦斯教士的孙子
Um, don't you mean Reverend Hanes?
你是说黑尼斯教士吗
'Cause Reverend Lawrence's grandson is going to get
因为要留给劳伦斯教士孙子的
the, uh, Lute-playing angel, 'cause he was in the choir.
是这个吹笛天使,他是唱诗班的
Very sharp, Mr. McGill.
脑子转得真快,麦吉尔先生
And here I thought all lawyers were idiots.
我还以为律师都是傻瓜呢
No, only half of us are idiots.
一半是傻瓜
The other half are crooks.
剩下的一半都是骗子
Aren't you a spicy one?
你真风趣
If I were 40 years younger,
要是我再年轻四十岁
I'd have you buy me a Pina colada.
我肯定会要你请我喝一杯果汁朗姆酒
Well, if you want me to draw up a DNR,
如果你让我起草一份放弃急救同意书
I'll bring a blender and some pineapple.
我就带上搅拌机和菠萝
I knew I'd like you
当我在电视上看到
when I saw how you saved that poor man on the television.
你是如何英勇救人的时候我就喜欢上你了
Moxie is in such short supply these days.
世风日下,勇气已经很少见了
Yeah.
没错
Well, I pride myself on my moxie.
我也很以自己的勇气为荣
Now, I hate to do this,
虽然我不想这样
but I do need to bring up my payment.
但我必须得说一下我的报酬问题
Um and I'm sorry,
很抱歉
but I can't accept S&H green stamps.
我不接受绿色盾牌邮票作为支付方式
Now, uh, my fee is $140.
我一共要收取您一百四十块
$140?
一百四
I'll gladly accept $70 today.
您可以今天先给我七十块
And $70 when I come back
等我把所有文件都准备好以后
with the completed documents, if...
再把剩下的七十块给我
$20, $40, $60...
二十,四十,六十
$80, $100...
八十,一百
And $20, $40.
一百二,一百四
Uh. Okay.
好的
Shall we continue, Mr. McGill?
麦吉尔先生,我们能继续了吗
Yes. Yes, we shall, Mrs. Strauss.
当然了,我们继续,施特劳斯太太
Put it on the nail, not the skin.
要涂在指甲上,别蹭到皮上
I can't help it if your toes are too small.
你的脚趾这么小,我也没办法
They should all be the same size --
如果都长得一样大
the size of the big toe.
都像大脚趾一样
That one I can do.
那我就好办了
Yeah, that would be attractive.
是啊,那样看起来才迷人
So... how's it go again?
你今天怎么样
Oh, you're huge, Chandler!
钱德勒,你好大噢
You're a big, big boy!
你真是个大家伙
Oh, where does it end?!
还这么长
Oh, don't stop, Chandler!
别停啊,钱德勒
Don't stop!
别停
Oh, here it comes!
哎呦,来了来了
Oh, what is that?
那是什么啊
Is that a piece of corn? No, don't.
那是一粒玉米吗, 你别说了
Did you eat corn, Chandler?
你是不是吃玉米了,钱德勒
Is that a niblet I see, Chandler? That's disgusting.
不会是玉米吧,钱德勒, 真恶心
No, don't. Too much?
求你别讲了, 你受不了了吗
Hey, good times.
就是这么有趣
Oh. Even your lousy days
你的生活就是再糟糕
are more interesting than my good ones.
也比我那些好日子有趣
Yeah, well, we should definitely do something about that.
是吗,那我们可得想办法改变一下了
Seriously, don't ever try to make a living at this.
说真的,你将来可千万别这样过活
Stick with the law.
好好干你的律师吧
Yeah, because I'm really...
是啊,因为只有在法律这一行里
lighting the world on fire in that department.
我才能做出点颠覆世界的事
Did two wills today?
你今天办理了两份遗嘱吗
Two wills, and I started a living trust.
没错,还帮人起草了一份生前信托
Whoopee! Old people love me.
老头老太太可待见我了
Maybe you got a future in Elder law.
也许你可以考虑去做老年法律师
You think I could handle all that glamour?
你觉得我能行吗
No, I'm serious.
我可是认真的
I-I've thought about getting into Elder law myself.
我自己也想做
I watched my grandmother at the end.
我奶奶快不行的时候,我就在一旁看着
It's...
简直
It's awful what people have to deal with -- insurance companies.
简直太可怕,不得不和保险公司周旋
My scumbag cousins stealing her savings and her pain meds.
我那些混蛋堂兄弟偷了她的存款和止痛药
Getting old sucks.
人老了很悲惨
Seniors need someone on their side.
老年人需要有人支持
It's Howard.
是霍华德
What the hell does he want?
他到底要干嘛
Hi, Howard.
霍华德
Uh, no. I mean, I haven't, uh...
没有,我是说我还没...
Oh, my god. When?
天哪,什么时候
Yeah, okay.
好的
I'll see if I can, um, track Jimmy down.
我看我能不能找到吉米
I'll call you back. S-sure.
我会打给你的,没问题
It's Chuck.
你哥出事了
Chuck.
查克
Chuck, you with me?
查克,能听到我说话吗
Chuck, hey, buddy. It's me.
查克,是我啊
Hey, can you talk to me?
你能说话吗
Jesus Christ. These sons of bitches.
老天啊,真是帮混蛋
Hey, hey. Sir, you can't do that.
先生,快停下
All of this needs to stay on. No, no. No electricity.
所有设备都得开着, 不行,不能有电
You understand?
你明白吗
No, it needs to be on. I'm getting security.
不行,设备必须得开着,我叫保安了
No, uh, wait, wait.
你别去,等等
Wait, wait. Uh, no. Wait, wait, wait, wait.
你等等,别去,等等啊
Huh? Why isn't that one going out?
那盏怎么没关
Jimmy. Jimmy. Damn it.
吉米,吉米, 去死吧
I just -Jimmy, wait a second. Jimmy. Think.
吉米,等下,吉米,冷静
What's the plan here? Sir? Sir?
你想干嘛, 先生,先生
Sir, I need you to get down from there.
先生,请你下来
What the hell kind of torture chamber you running here?
你们这是酷刑室吗
He -- he's allergic to electricity, all right?
他对电流过敏,知道吗
You heard the doc. Get down now.
你听到医生说的了,快下来
No, all these lights and machines --
不,这些灯还有机器
you might as well throw him into a microwave.
你还不如直接把他扔进微波炉里
Come on down now. No, don't touch me!
快下来, 别碰我
He is this patient's brother. Please, listen to him.
他是病人的弟弟,请听他说
Hey, let's go. Hey. Wait.
我们走, 等下
Hold on a second, Edwin.
等一下,埃德温
Sir, are you ready to calm down now?
先生,你平静下来了吗
Yes. His name is Jimmy, and, yes, he is gonna calm down.
是的,他叫吉米,并且他会平静下来的
I need you to say the words, Jimmy.
我需要你亲口说,吉米
I need to hear it from you.
我需要听你说
I'm calm, okay? I'm calm.
我很平静,好吗,平静
Edwin, why don't you go wait in the hallway?
埃德温,你到走廊去等好吗
I'll call if we need you.
需要的话我会叫你
Okay, so, tell me about the electricity.
好了,跟我说说电流的事儿
Yeah, look, I know how it sounds, but it's real.
听着,我知道这听起来很荒谬,但是真的
Oh, shit.
该死
My phone and stuff -- anything with a battery in it --
我的手机和其它有电池的东西
he can't have it near him.
都不能靠近他
Hang on.
等一下
Here's my phone. Okay, that's it.
这是我的手机, 好了,这就行了
Thanks.
谢谢
Okay, what the hell happened to him?
好了,到底发生什么了
Why is he here?
他为什么在这里
Apparently, it started when Charles stole his neighbor's newspaper.
很明显,查尔斯偷了邻居报纸
What? He -- he never leaves the house.
什么,他从来不离开房子
I don't -I don't have all the details,
我不知道所有的细节
but the police found him in a very agitated state.
但警察找到他时他非常激动
He was confrontational and incoherent.
具有很强的攻击性并且语无伦次
How come you didn't call me?
你怎么不给我打电话
Uh, why did I have to hear about this
我为什么要从我哥哥的
through my brother's prick of a law partner?
混蛋律师合伙人那里听到这些
The only contact information we could find
我们找到的唯一联系方式
was a business card.
是一张名片
Jimmy, in my opinion, Charles should be committed
吉米,我的意见是,查尔斯需要住院
for 30 days of psychiatric observation.
进行三十天的精神科观察
As a family member,
作为家庭成员
you can submit a petition for him to be evaluated.
你可以为他提交评估申请
There's an excellent facility in Las Cruces.
拉斯克鲁塞斯有家非常好的机构
He can be there tomorrow.
他明天就可以去
I'd rather not.
我还是不去了
Hey, buddy. Hey, I'm right here.
伙计,我在这儿呢
Oh, hey, Chuck.
查克
Excuse me.
抱歉
Mr. McGill, My name is Dr. Cruz.
麦吉尔先生,我是克鲁兹医生
Do you know why you're in the hospital?
你知道你为什么在医院吗
The police kicked in my door -- no warrant, no cause.
警察强行进入,没有搜查证,没有理由
I wasn't incoherent.
我没有语无伦次
They just weren't listening.
只是他们不愿听我说
They tasered me, Jimmy.
他们用了电击枪,吉米
Aw, jesus.
天哪
Kim?
金
I'm sorry. I can give you privacy.
对不起,我回避下
Oh, no, no, no. That's all right. Stay.
不不不,没事儿的,留下来
Howard...called me.
霍华德给我打电话
He's very concerned about you.
他很担心你
How are you feeling now, Mr. McGill?
你现在感觉怎么样,麦吉尔先生
Uh, do -- do you have a phone or a -- a pager,
你有手机或是传呼机吗
anything with a battery?
任何装有电池的东西
I don't think so. I...
我觉得没有了,我
Yeah.
是啊
Oversight. Sorry about that.
一时疏忽,抱歉
Can you tell me a little more about your...situation?
你能跟我说说你现在的情况吗
It's not a situation.
这不是什么情况
It's a condition --
这是一种病症
electromagnetic hypersensitivity.
电磁过敏症
For reasons unknown, my nervous system has become sensitized
由于不明原因,我的神经系统
to certain frequencies of electromagnetic radiation.
对特定频率的电磁辐射变得非常敏感
Your brother called it an allergy to electricity.
你弟弟说你对电流过敏
Well, it's an oversimplification,
有点过度简化了
but it's essentially correct.
但基本上是正确的
Electronic devices create their own electromagnetic fields.
电子设备会产生相应的电磁场
The closer I am to such devices, the worse my symptoms.
我越是接近这种设备,我的症状就越严重
Which are?
什么症状
Burning sensation on my skin,
皮肤灼烧感
a sharp, cold pain in my bones,
骨头里又冷得刺骨
muscle fatigue, heart palpitations,
肌肉酸痛,心悸
blurred vision, tinnitus,
视线模糊,耳鸣
vertigo, nausea, shortness of breath,
眩晕,恶心,呼吸急促
a general -- It hurts.
总的来说... 很难受
Yes, it hurts.
没错,很难受
When did you first experience these symptoms?
你什么时候开始出现这种症状的
Oh, it must have been...
肯定是...
Y-you left the office 18 months ago.
你一年半以前离开公司的
Huh. Well, in that case, uh, must have been almost two years.
既然这样,那肯定有两年了
Two years?
两年
That's a -- that's a long time to live with discomfort.
那你也算是忍了很久了
Oh, there it is.
又来了
You think I'm crazy.
你觉得我疯了
I never said that.
我没这么说
No, you didn't, because you're very polite,
你是没说,因为你很有礼貌
but you think it.
但你是这么想的
Otherwise, you wouldn't be talking about commitment.
不然你不会跟我提什么送精神病院
You find that idea distressing.
你不喜欢谈论那个吗
Who the hell wouldn't?
谁他妈会喜欢
I -I find it inappropriate
我觉得这样对待一个
for a person suffering from a physical condition.
肉体上遭受折磨的人实在是太不人道了
Anyone who's spent more than a few minutes with me
只要跟我多待段时间
knows that this isn't some kind of delusion.
就会知道这不是我的幻觉
Wouldn't you agree, Kim?
你同意吗,金
Of course she does.
她当然同意
Well, I'm not a doctor.
我又不是医生
You've known me for the better part of a decade.
你都认识我快十年了
Have you ever seen me exhibit any sign --
你见过我表现出任何征兆
any sign whatsoever of mental illness?
任何精神疾病的征兆吗
See?
看到没
I-if I thought for one second you could cure me,
如果我觉得你能治好我
believe me, I'd jump at the chance.
相信我,我绝对会把握这个机会
But with all due respect,
但恕我冒犯
psychiatry doesn't have the answers.
找精神病医生是行不通的
I'd very much like to try.
我愿意一试
Section 43-1-11, part E13.
第43章第一条第十一点, E13部分
"The proposed commitment is consistent with "
入院申请要与病人的
"the treatment needs of the client "
实际治疗需求相吻合
and with the least drastic means principle."
并且要避免采取极端手段"
Do you think subjecting me to this kind of pain for a month
你们觉得让我忍受这种痛苦一个月
is the least drastic means?
不算是极端手段吗
He might as well spend a month in a wood chipper.
还不如把他扔到削木机里一个月
I understand your frustration. I do.
我知道你很难受,真的
You're obviously a highly intelligent man
你显然头脑非常清楚
in difficult circumstances.
只是身体状况不如人意
May I ask you a question, just for my own interest?
我能问你个问题吗,只是我个人好奇
How do you meet the needs of daily life?
你怎么解决你的一些日常需要呢
What do you do for light, or...
要照明怎么办呢
how do you prepare food?
或者怎么准备食物
I use white-gas lanterns.
我用无铅汽油灯
For cooking, I have a camp stove.
煮饭的话我有个便携炉
I have a large cooler I keep filled with ice.
我还有个冷却器,要不停往里面加冰块
It's not ideal, but I make do.
虽然不好用,但还凑合
I see.
我知道了
Well, thank you.
谢谢
Would you mind if I took a moment
如果你不介意的话
to speak with your brother?
我能和你弟弟谈谈吗
Oh, uh, make sure you still have your wallet when you're done.
谈完后确认下你的钱包还在自己身上
Funny guy.
真好笑
Jimmy.
吉米
I want to go home.
我想回家
That was a dirty trick.
这招太损了
That wasn't a trick -- it was a demonstration.
那不是什么花招,是为了证实
This allergy to electricity isn't real --
他对电流不过敏
It's a manifestation of something deeper.
只是某种深层情绪的表达
I'm not saying it's 100% real, okay?
我没说百分百是真的,好吗
But Chuck is smarter than you and me put together,
但是查克比咱们俩加起来都聪明
so we're not talking him out of this,
所以没办法说服他
and I'm not sending him to a rubber room.
我也不会让他住到橡胶室(治疗精神病)里
No one is talking about rubber rooms.
没人说要送到橡胶室
There are specialists who will --
有专家能...
He's seen specialists, okay?
他看过专家了
The best doctors from here to Denver,
这里到丹佛最好的医生都看过
and none of them helped -- not one.
没人能帮得上忙,谁也不行
So you're ready to give up.
所以你是打算放弃了吗
Who's giving up, huh?
谁要放弃了
I'm -I'm the one doing the heavy lifting here.
一直是我在照顾他好吗
That white gas he was talking about --
他说的无铅汽油灯--
who do you think brings him that?
你觉得是谁给他的
And milk and bread and toilet paper
还有牛奶,面包,厕纸
and ice and every other damn thing he needs.
冰块,他的一切必需品
Is that helping or enabling?
你是在帮他还是纵容他
If you testify in a custodial hearing,
如果你在监护权听证会上作证
he can get the help he needs -- that's in your power.
他就能得到需要的帮助,你有能力这么做
To be committed involuntarily,
非自愿被送入精神病院
he has to be a danger to himself or others.
他必须对自己或他人构成威胁
And he is.
他确实很危险
Coleman lanterns indoors, a camp stove?
室内用科勒曼汽油灯,便携炉
I mean, he could burn his house down
他有可能把房子烧了
or the entire neighborhood,
甚至把整个小区都烧着
and then you're looking at a commitment of 10 to 20 years.
到时候他就得在精神病院呆十几二十年了
What if --
要是
What if he just hurts himself in a household accident?
要是他在家中伤了他自己怎么办
How does he call for help?
他怎么呼救
You have the power to help your brother --
你有能力帮助你哥哥
truly help him.
给他真正的帮助
Ignoring this won't make it go away.
你逃避不了这个现实
What would you do?
要是你你会怎么做
All I know is...
我只知道
he needs help.
他需要帮助
Untie him.
放了他
I'm getting him out of here.
我要带他走
A nurse will bring you the release forms.
护士会把出院登记表拿给你
Oh, boy.
总算来了
Jimmy. Jimmy. I found him.
吉米,吉米, 我找到他了
I thought I'd wait till you got here.
我觉得我应该等你来
Great. How's he doing?
太好了,他怎么样了
Better. Resting.
好多了,正在休息
Good.
那就好
Uh, Jimmy...
那个,吉米...
I want you to know that I've talked to the D.A.,
我已经和地检官谈过了
and he absolutely will not sign off on any commitment papers.
他绝对不会在任何入院书上签字的
This is a physical condition, not a mental one.
这是身体问题,不是精神上的问题
Chuck is of sound mind.
查克心智很健全
I think we can all agree on that.
在这一点上我们应该能达成一致
You're a real peach, Howard.
你干得真好啊,霍华德
Of course you don't want Chuck committed.
你当然不希望查克被送进精神病院
No, I don't. Why would I?
是啊,我是不希望,我为什么希望
Because if Chuck were committed,
因为如果查克入院了
then I'd become his legal guardian,
我就会成为他的法定监护人
and I cash him out of HHM.
就可以让他从律所撤股了
Jesus, Jimmy. Now?
天哪,吉米,你确定
You want to hash that out while he's lying in here?
他还躺在那里,你真的要谈这个吗
You know, the tanning bed must have melted your brain
日光浴床肯定把你脑子烧坏了
If you think for one second --
如果你花一秒钟想一想
Guys -Chuck. That's why we're here.
伙计们,我们的重点应该是查克
Yes. Let's stay on point.
对,别跑题
We're talking about the well-being of a man
我们是在谈论一个人的健康问题
whom we all love very much.
我们都很爱他
There's many factors at play.
问题是有点复杂
Spite doesn't have to be one of them.
但请勿夹杂恶意
You know what, Howard?
知道吗,霍华德
I was on the fence till you showed up,
你没来之前我还在犹豫
but thanks for helping me decide.
多谢你帮我做了决定
Wave bye-bye to your cash cow,
跟你的摇钱树说拜拜吧
'cause it's leaving the pasture.
因为你马上就会失去它了
I'm committing him.
我这就送他入院
Jimmy. Uh, J-- wait.
吉米,等一下
Jimmy, wait. Jimmy.
吉米,等等,吉米
Jimmy, can you wait?
吉米,等一下好吗
Jimmy, wait a second.
吉米,等等
Listen, I agree that Chuck needs help,
听着,我知道查克需要帮助
and maybe it's the right thing to do,
也许你确实应该这样做
but you can't do it like this.
但是你不能采取这种方式
I just want to see that son of a bitch sweat.
我就想让那个杂种着急
It's so obvious what he's afraid of.
明眼人一看就知道他怕什么
I'm taking my brother home.
我要带我哥回家了
There you go, buddy.
到这边来,老哥
Yeah. There you go.
这边
Okay, some steps. One and two.
注意台阶,一步,两步
And there you go.
往这边
Hey, you're home, all right?
你回家了
Everything's gonna be all right.
会没事的
Uh, you want something to eat --
想吃点东西吗
Uh, some tea -- a cup of tea?
喝茶,喝杯茶吗
Coffee? Yeah.
咖啡, 行
Coffee. Coffee it is.
咖啡,那就咖啡了
Uh, Jimmy, I'm -I'm -I'm gonna need my...
吉米,我要我的...
I don't -I-I-I-I...
我不...
Oh, it's...
它在...
Yeah.
行
You want to talk about this?
想聊聊这事吗
There's nothing to talk about. You took the paper.
没什么好聊的, 你拿了报纸
You saw this.
你看到了
You got sick.
然后犯病了
What's your point?
你什么意思
Chuck, I think you got sick 'cause you saw this story.
查克,你犯病是因为看到这则新闻了吧
No, w-- whenever you think I've done something wrong,
每次你觉得我做了坏事
something questionable, you get worse.
可疑的事,病情就更严重
I didn't get sick
我犯病
because I read about you in the paper.
不是因为看到你上了报纸
I got sick
我犯病
because I went out of my house to retrieve the paper.
是因为我出门取报纸
I'm too tired for this argument, Jimmy.
我好累,不想吵了,吉米
I-I've had it too many times.
都吵过那么多次了
You think this is the return of Slippin' Jimmy,
你以为我又变回风流吉米了
but it's not. All right.
但其实没有, 好吧
Uh, you think the billboard thing was unethical,
你觉得广告牌的事不道德
but it was...promotion.
但这是...宣传
It was advertising -- that's all.
这是广告,仅此而已
Which wasn't even allowed until five supreme court justices
在贝茨对亚利桑那州律师协会一案中
went completely bonkers in Bates vs. State Bar of Arizona.
五位大法官发了疯才允许律师打广告
But in any event...
但不管怎样
it's legal.
这是合法的
If you want to advertise, that's your business.
你想打广告是你自己的事(生意)
"Business" being the operative word there, Chuck,
"生意"是个关键词,查克
because I-I have gotten business off of this --
因为打广告才有生意
legit business -- wills, uh, trusts.
合法的生意,订立遗嘱,接受委托
Uh, I'm -I'm kind of starting to specialize in Elder law.
我开始专攻老年法案子
Elder law?
老年法
Yeah, the things the elderly have to deal with --
是,老年人要处理的事
I mean, you know, relatives coming after their savings,
比如亲戚觊觎他们的存款
telemarketers, reverse-mortgage scams --
电话推销员,反向抵押贷款诈骗
I mean, getting old sucks.
人老了很悲惨
Seniors need someone on their side, so...
老年人需要有人支持,所以...
You're looking at him.
我就是那个支持他们的人
Well, that sounds...
听起来很...
promising.
有前途
But it has nothing to do with my condition.
但跟我的病情没什么关系
Chuck, listen. I'm gonna make you a promise right now, okay?
查克,听我说,我现在向你承诺,行吗
No, not necessary, not requested.
不用,没必要,不强求
Okay.
行
The billboard was a one-time thing.
广告牌的事就这一次
I-I-I'm a good lawyer.
我是名好律师
I just needed some razzmatazz, you know,
我只是需要点噱头
to get the ball rolling, some showmanship --
一些技巧,才能行动起来
That's all it was.
仅此而已
It's done now. It's over.
不会有下次了
All right.
好吧
From here on out, I'm gonna play by the rules.
从今以后,我要规规矩矩
As any lawyer should.
律师都该这样
Exactly.
没错
There are clients out there who need me,
有很多委托人需要我
and I'm gonna give them the best representation
我会竭尽所能给他们
I know how to provide.
最好的代理
I-I'm on the up-and-up, okay?
我要光明磊落,行吗
I will be good.
我会改过
Slippin' Jimmy --
风流吉米
He's back in Cicero, dead and buried.
早就死在了西塞罗市
Okay.
好
We'll see.
我们走着瞧
Where you going?
你去哪儿
Somebody's got to make that coffee.
总得有人煮咖啡啊
I'm sure the truth will come out,
一定会真相大白的
if, indeed, that's what we're all interested in.
如果我们都希望得知真相
I know everybody in this courtroom
我知道在座各位
has strong feelings about Nicholas Baron's past,
对尼古拉斯男爵的过去深表同情
but I submit he is not on trial here for his past.
但我认为他并非因为自己的过去而受审
He is on trial for the murders of Donald Kovack
而是因为谋杀唐纳德·科瓦奇
and Eddie Alonzo.
和埃迪·阿朗佐
Single-breasted...
单排扣
Light blue or cream.
淡蓝色还是淡黄色
Blue.
蓝色
Linen.
亚麻布
S-single pocket.
单个口袋
Hello, there.
你好
James McGill, attorney at law.
我叫詹姆斯·麦吉尔,是名律师
How are you this fine morning?
上午感觉怎么样
I'm just fine. And how about you? Very good.
还不错,你呢, 非常好
Play fair.
别耍赖哦
Oh, what do we got here?
地上掉了什么
I see.
知道了
A piece is trying to get away.
这一块想逃跑
Enjoy the jello.
果冻吃得开心
Get to the bottom.
要吃完哦
Wait. Who's the banker here?
慢着,这里谁是银行家
That's the only one I want to talk to. There he is.
我只想和银行家说话,在这呢
How are ya?
你好吗
I'm good. Whoa! What a grip, young man!
我很好,你手劲像小伙子
Yeah, watch out.
轻点握
That's my will-writing hand.
我这只手要写遗嘱
Okay.
好
Hello, ladies. You look beautiful today.
女士们好,今天很美
All right over there?
那边还好吗
Very good. Play fair.
我很好,别耍赖哦
Ah, no betting.
不玩钱
Oh, wait a second. Is that Veronica Lake?
慢着,你是维罗妮卡·莱克吗
Give me a hug, beautiful.
抱一个,美人
Yes. You look great today.
你今天气色不错
All right, no cheating. No hiding the tablet.
别出千,药都吃了,别藏起来
Oh, what do we have here?
这里在干什么
Hey, there he is -- the man in the booth,
他在这呢,房间(布思)里的人
John Wilkes Booth,
约翰·威尔克斯·布思(刺杀林肯者)
Booth Tarkington.
布思·塔金顿(小说家)
What you reading there?
在看什么呢
"The complete annotated book of rules for parking validation"?
《停车场认证规则全解》吗
No.
不是
The rules for parking validation are actually pretty simple.
停车场认证规则非常简单
Most people get it on the first try.
大部分人一次就懂
Well, you'll be pleased to know
你要知道肯定很开心
I have the requisite stickers.
我拿到了足量的贴纸
Well, be still my heart.
有什么好开心的
And...
然后
you can have this, as well.
再给你一张这个
I'm doing Elder law now.
我现在主攻老年法
Need a will? Call McGill.
要立遗嘱吗,找麦吉尔
So, give me a call if you, uh --
打我电话,如果你...
uh, if, uh, you happen to know any elders.
如果你碰巧认识老人
Good night.
今晚愉快
Couldn't have a bad one if I tried.
今晚差不到哪里去
Good night. Night.
晚安, 晚安
Out here in the hall and everything?
你怎么在过道里
Don't be so silly.
别傻了
Well, there's nobody around.
反正又没人
Oh, but you never can tell
就算有人
when there's someone around. Then I'll come in.
你也不知道, 我要进去
Oh, no, Dan, I wouldn't come in if I were you.
不,丹,我要是你就不进去
Really, we're going to be awfully late.
我们真要迟到了
Well, don't be bashful, Lucy.
别害羞,露西
Well, I'm not bashful, but I've never kissed you before,
我没害羞,但我从没亲过你
and I don't think this is exactly the place.
我觉得这地方不合适
Gosh, if you knew how crazy I am about you,
天,要是你知道我有多爱你
you wouldn't hesitate -I can't sleep nights.
你就不会犹豫了,我夜不能寐
Oh, why don't you take some hot milk?
为什么不喝点热牛奶
I guess I must be in love, 'cause it started right --
我觉得自己爱上你了,因为...
Long way from home, aren't you?
离家很远吧
You and me both.
我们都是