The whole reason we do these meetings, Frank,
弗兰克,我们会面的目的
is so I can get accurate information from you.
就是为从你那儿得到准确的信息
I always said it was going to be close.
我始终说票数会很胶着
Then why did every article I read yesterday
那为什么昨天我读到的报道
say the leadership was confident the bill would pass?
都说领导集团相信法案会通过
Do you know Janine Skorsky?
您知道简宁·斯克斯基吗
She used to be the Herald's White House correspondent.
她曾任《先驱报》驻白宫记者
I remember Janine.
我记得简宁
She wrote an article for Slugline
她为头条网写了篇文章
reporting a verified vote count.
报道了一份经核实的计票结果
Once the media got ahold of that, it went everywhere.
一旦被媒体拿到,那东西就满天飞了
I don't know where she got that number.
我不知道她哪弄到的数字
Maybe she made it up.
或许是她编造的
It doesn't matter if she made it up.
是不是她编的不重要
The democrats seem divided.
外界认为民主党出现了分歧
The leadership looks incompetent.
领导集团就显得很无能
But compared to the the budget and our education act,
与财政预算和我们的教育法案相比
well, this was a minor bill, sir.
这不过是个小法案,先生
That happened to be in the national spotlight,
可它恰恰却受全国瞩目
which is what you wanted.
这是你想要的
I got the count wrong.
计票我算错了
It rarely happens, but it happens.
这很罕见,但确实发生了
What worries me is that the White House's influence
令我担心的是,白宫方面的影响
isn't translating into support on the hill.
没能在国会给你支持
Linda's involvement had no effect?
琳达的参与没起到丝毫作用
I wouldn't say that that's the case, sir.
并不是这么回事,先生
Did you sense any pushback, any fallout
教育法案之争有没有带来
from the education battle?
什么阻力和影响
Sir, the truth is I wasn't there.
先生,事实是我并未出席
I had to make a trip to California
我当时必须得去趟加州
to meet the Provost of Stanford for my son.
为我儿子去见斯坦福的教务长
I told you about it last week.
我上周跟您提过
It was my decision, sir.
这是我的主意,先生
I made a judgment call
我当时认定
that we could pass the bill without her help.
没有她的帮助法案也能通过
But, look, tight votes like this,
但事实是,这种差距甚微的投票
you can analyze them to death,
分析不出个所以然来
but at the end of the day, we came up short.
最终结果就是我们票数落后
That's my fault, no one else's. Certainly not Linda's.
这只归咎于我个人,绝非琳达的错
I shouldn't have gone.
我当时就不该离开
The meeting didn't even work.
那场会面毫无成果
I thought you said they were reconsidering.
你不是说他们会重新考虑
No. I got an email this morning.
不,我今早收到一封邮件
They decided not to overturn the admissions decision.
他们决定不推翻招生办的决定
Oh, Christ. I'm sorry, Linda.
天呐,真是遗憾,琳达
Not a great day so far.
今天不怎么顺利
But I appreciate your covering for me in there.
不过还是要谢谢你刚才为我打圆场
There may be a way to turn Linda's bad luck into my good fortune.
或许琳达的噩运能变成我的机遇
But first I must deal with treason within the ranks...
不过首先我要解决组织内的背叛
the two renegades who voted against the bill.
那两个投反对票的叛徒
I have zero tolerance for betrayal,
我绝不容忍背叛行为
which they will soon indelibly learn.
很快,他们就会永远记住这点
I know why you lost the vote.
我知道投票失利的原因
Somebody got to Vanderburgh and Abrams.
有人去找了范德博格和艾布拉姆斯
Remy Danton.
雷米·丹顿
Your wife.
你妻子
I've got contacts on both their staffs.
我在他们两边都有联络人
There was a meeting between the three of them.
他们三人见过一面
I know. I arranged it.
我知道,我安排的
She told them to vote no. No, not true.
她让他们投反对票,不是这样
Sources on two different staffs saying the exact same thing?
那两边的人怎么说法完全一致
That makes no sense.
这完全没道理
I'm not telling you what makes sense,
我不是在跟你讲道理
I'm telling you facts.
我是在陈述事实
This is a juicy story, Francis.
这可是个猛料,弗兰西斯
Carly will love it.
卡莉绝对会喜欢
The majority whip's wife stabs him in the back.
多数党党鞭的妻子在背后捅他刀子
Be careful, Zoe.
当心点,佐伊
I'm feeding you.
我在给你提供信息
Now you have to feed me.
现在你该给我提供信息了
So give me something better.
给我点更好的新闻
Are you going to answer my question?
回答我的问题
Did she or didn't she?
她有没有那么做
Tell me now, or so help me God,
快说,否则上帝保佑
I will make it my mission in life
我会倾尽一生
to not only destroy your careers,
毁掉你们的职业生涯
but to obliterate all hope and happiness that you manage to cling to.
碾碎你们努力博得的一切幸福与希望