One day, Ji Liang went to see the King of Wei and reported:
一天,季梁去见魏王,报告说:
"When I was coming here, I saw a man on the road driving a horse carriage north in great haste.
“这次,我来的时候,在路上看到一个人,驾着马车往北走,走得很急。
"I asked him: `Where are you going in such haste?'
“我问他:‘走得这么急,你要去哪儿?’
"He replied: `I am going to the State of Chu.'
“他回答说:‘我要到楚国去。’
"I said: `If you want to go to the State of Chu, you should go south.
“我说:‘你去楚国,应该朝南走。
Why are you going north? You are going the wrong way!’
怎么往北呢?你走错了!’
"He said: `My horse is big and strong. It can run as fast as flying. It doesn't matter to run a little more.'
“他说:‘我的马很好,又高又大,跑起来跟飞一样快。多跑点儿没关系。’
"I told him: `Though your horse is good, you are going in the wrong direction.'
“我告诉他:‘你的马虽然好,可是去楚国的方向不对呀!
"He said: `It doesn't matter. I have lots of money.'
“他说:‘没关系,我有很多钱。’
"I told him again: `Though you have lots of money, this is not the road to the State of Chu.'
“我又告诉他:‘你钱虽然多,但是这不是去楚国的路呀!’
"He said: `It doesn't matter. My driver is good and strong.'
“他说:‘没关系,我的车夫好,他身强力壮。’
"Finally I told him: `Though your driver is good and strong, this is not the road to the State of Chu."
“最后我告诉他:‘你的车夫虽然好,但是这不是去楚国的路呀!'
The King of Wei blurted out: "Alas, this man is too obstinate.
魏王脱口说道:“唉!这个人真固执。
He doesn't realize that if his direction is wrong, the better he is equipped, the farther he would be away from his destination."
他不知道方向错了,条件越好,离开目的地就越远。”