You want team members to enjoy participating.
你想要队伍成员享受参与。
Right, but what about setting rules for your team, and, is it better to be strict or not so strict?
没错,但是给队伍定规则呢?严格一些比较好,还是不那么严格比较好?
Actually, I don’t believe in having a lot of rules, and coaches often do have too many.
事实上,我不信奉制定很多规则,而教练们往往会定下过多的规则。
I think that can get in the way of leadership and box you in, I think people sometimes set rules just to make things easier for themselves.
我觉得那有碍领导力,而且会对你产生束缚,我认为人们有时候制定规则只是为了自己的便利。
That way maybe later they just can refer to the rule and avoid making a choice.
那样也许稍后他们就能指望规则,避免做选择。
You know that kind of person I’m talking about, right?
你知道我在说的那种人,对吧?
But that’s not to say the team shouldn’t have any rules at all.
但也不是说一个队伍就应该一点规则都没有。
Of course they need some, so early in a season, or when you first take a new job,
他们当然需要一些规则,所以在一季早期,或者你刚接手一份新工作的时候,
establish a few basic ground rules for what is acceptable and non-acceptable behavior.
设定几条基本的规则,规定什么行为是可以接受的,什么是不能接受的。
So, what are some good ones?
那有哪些好规则呢?
Well, a...a couple rules a coach should have are: insist that players be on time,
教练应该有的几条规则是:坚持运动员应该准时,
and insist that they practice hard, and give their best effort, and when you do establish a rule, stick to it.
坚持他们要努力训练,拿出他们自己最大的努力,还有当你确定了一条规则就要坚持到底。