第203课 走私分子
I am a smuggler. Once or twice a month, I go up river to get a load of contraband and smuggle it back across the border.
我是个走私分子。每个月有一两次,我去河的上游弄到一船走私货,越过国界偷运回来。
I was in a water front bar once, when I met a man obviously of some social distinction.
有一次,我在一个码头酒吧里,遇见一名明显有些社会地位的男子。
Being not too sociable and apt to sneer at those snobbish upper-crust types,
我不善交际,喜欢嘲笑那些势利的上等阶层的人物。
I sat with a solemn look as he approached me.
当他走近我时,我表情严肃地坐了下来。
He smoothly tipped his hat and gave me a sly look as he introduced himself.
他一边自我介绍,一边熟练地轻触帽檐以示礼貌,还狡猾地看了我一眼。
I asked him to sit, not wanting to appear too snobbish myself.
我请他坐下,自己不想表现得过于势利。
We talked for a while and had a few drinks. Then he told me what he wanted.
我们聊了一会儿,喝了几杯酒。之后他告诉了我他的想法。
He showed me a snippet from the newspaper detailing the solar power industry and how it would reduce smog in the cities.
他给我看了一篇摘自报纸的文章,上面详细介绍了太阳能工业以及太阳能如何会减少城市的烟雾。
I told him that solar cells were completely legal and asked him why he wanted to sneak them in.
我告诉他太阳能电池完全合法,问他为什么想偷运。
He said that the import fees were smothering his profits.
他说,高昂的进口费用扼杀了他的利润,使他无利可图。
He was sober enough to make me an offer, and I was drunk enough to accept.
他头脑清醒,给我开了价;我醉意十足,欣然接受。
Besides, I was the sole river boat man in the area, and I was solely capable of bringing back the goods.
而且,我是本地惟一的船工,只有我可以把货物运回来。
He had no other choice, and I had no money.
他别无选择,而我需要钱。
There was still one snag. My boat, Snowflake, had been damaged in the last typhoon.
还有个麻烦。我的“雪花号”小船在上次台风中损坏了。
The propeller had been smashed and the electrical wires had snapped.
螺旋桨被撞毁,电线绷断。
So I looked for a smelting shop to repair the propeller, but I could solder the wires myself.
所以我找到修理螺旋桨的铁匠铺,但我可以自己焊接电线。
That done, once the flag lifted. I was ready to go.
一切就绪,等雾一散,我就出发。