Were you shipwrecked?I asked.
你的船遇难了吗?我问道。
No ,my friend,he said.Marooned.
不是,我的朋友,他说,是流放。
I had heard the word before, and knew it meant a cruel punishment often used by pirates-leaving a man alone on some distant, empty island.
我听说过这个词,知道是海盗们使用的一种残酷的惩罚手段—受罚者被放逐到一个遥远的荒岛上。
Marooned three years, he continued, living on wild goats and fish.
三年前我被放逐到这里,他继续说,从此一直靠吃野山羊和生鱼过活。
But I'm desperate for real English food.
但我多么想吃真正的英国饭啊!
You don't have a piece of cheese, do you?
你是不是带着干酪什么的?
Many nights I've dreamed of cheese.
我不知多少个夜晚都梦见过干酪。
If I can get on board ship again, I said, you can have as much cheese as you want.
我要是能回到船上去,我说,你要多少干酪都可以。
Who's going to prevent you?he said.And tell me your name.
那么谁不让你回去呢?他说。还有,你叫什么名字?
Jim,I told him.
吉姆,我告诉他。
Well, Jim,he said, looking around and lowering his voice to a whisper, I'm rich.
那好,吉姆,他说,他四处张望了一下,把嗓门压低了,我发财啦!
I was now sure the poor man was crazy ,but he repeated his words.
我确信他一定是疯了,可他重复他的话:
Rich, I say! Now ,Jim ,that isn't Flint's ship, is it?
我发财啦!吉姆,那是不是弗林特的船?
关于《金银岛》
许多现代主义的作家并不认同他,因为史蒂文森是大众化的,而且他的作品并不符合他们所定义的文学。