Listen to part of a lecture in an Art History class.
请听下面艺术历史课程的其中一部分。
The professor has been discussing the origins of art.
这位教授一直在讨论艺术的起源。
Some of the world's oldest preserved art is the cave of Europe, most of it in Spain and France.
世界上最古老的一些保存艺术位于欧洲的洞穴中,大多数是在西班牙和法国。
And the earliest cave paintings found to date are those of the Chauvet Cave in France discovered in 1994.
而迄今为止发现的最早洞穴壁画是在1994年的法国夏维特山洞中发现。
And you know, I remember when I heard about the results of the dating of the Chauvet paintings,
而且如你们所知,我记得在自己听到夏维特岩画的结果时,
I said to my wife, “Can you believe these paintings are over 30,000 years old?”
我对妻子说道:“你能相信这些画超过30000岁吗?”
And my 3-year-old daughter piped up and said, “Is that older than my great-grandmother?”
这时我3岁的女儿大声说道:“比我的曾祖母还要大吗?”
That was the oldest age she knew.
那是她所知道的最大的年龄。
And you know, come to think of it.
而且正如你们所知,现在想想。
It's pretty hard for me to really understand how long 30,000 years is too.
我很难真正理解30000年到底有多久。
I mean, we tend to think that people who lived at that time must have been pretty primitive.
我的意思是,我们倾向于认为在那个时间段生活的人们一定非常原始。
But I'm gonna show you some slides in a few minutes and I think you will agree with me that this art is anything but primitive.
但是我将在在几分钟展示给你们一些幻灯片,而我认为你们会认同我的观点,这些艺术品的起源非常早。
They are masterpieces.
它们是杰作。
And they look so real, so alive that it's very hard to imagine that they are so very old.
它们看起来如此真实,如此鲜活,很难想象它们已经非常古老。
Now, not everyone agrees on exactly how old.
现在,不是每个人都确切认同它们到底有多大。
A number of the Chauvet paintings have been dated by a lab to 30,000 or more years ago.
而很多的夏维特岩画已经被一个实验室计算出在30000多年甚至更早以前。
That would make them not just older than any other cave art,
这使它们的年龄不只比任何其他洞穴艺术还要大,
but about twice as old as the art in the caves at Altamira or Lascaux, which you may have heard of.
而且是可能你已经听说过的阿尔塔米拉及拉斯科古老艺术洞穴的2倍。