Years of storms had taken their toll on the old windmill.
多年的风雨毁坏了古老的风车。
Its wheel, rusted and fallen, lay silent in the lush bluegrass.
车轮已经锈了,倒了,静静地躺卧在茂盛的六月禾丛中。
Its once animated silhouette was now a tall motionless steeple in the twilight sun.
在落日的衬托下,曾经散发着生气的风车如今如耸立的尖塔般冰冷、生硬。
I hadn't walked across our old farm in fifteen years.
我已经有十五年没有走过我们的农场了。
Yet the sensations came flooding back.
然而,那些感觉又汹涌而至。
I could smell the freshness of new mown alfalfa.
我仿佛闻到了新割的苜蓿的清新气息,
I could feel the ping of the ice cold summer rain, and the sun's sudden warmth on my wet shoulders when it reappeared after a brisk July thunderstorm.
感觉到了冰冷夏雨敲打在身上,还有七月的雨后阳光照射在湿漉漉的身上骤然传来的暖意。
Rain or shine, I used to walk this path each day to see Greta.
无论雨天或晴天,我曾经天天沿着这条小径去探望葛丽塔。
She always made me smile, even after Sis and I had just had a big squabble.
即使我刚和姐姐大吵了一场,她也总能使我舒怀微笑。
I would help Greta with her chores.
我会帮葛丽塔做些家务。
Then we would visit over a generous helping of her delicious homemade chocolate cookies and ice cream.
然后,我们会大快朵颐,品尝她亲手做的巧克力曲奇饼和冰淇淋。
Being confined to a wheel chair didn't stop Greta from being a fabulous cook.
以轮椅代步并不妨碍她成为一名出色的厨师。
Greta gave me two of the greatest gifts I've ever received.
葛丽塔送给我两件最了不起的礼物。