1. Expression: have it bad for someone
Explanation: have意指有,it意指恋情,bad意指相恋程度深过了头;to have it bad for someone指对某人眷恋得不可收拾,喻指对某人情真意切而不可自拔,对某人一片痴情,对某人一往情深。
Example: Jim confessed that he had it bad for Lucy, and worst of all, he couldn’t help thinking of her all day long.
吉姆坦白他深深地爱恋着露茜,而且最糟糕的是他禁不住终日思念着她。
He had it bad for her, though she was indifferent.
他对她是满怀痴情,然而她却漠然处之。
There's no reason why Mary shouldn't have it bad for someone else. Nobody should interfere.
没有理由让Mary不能对别人一片痴情,谁也不能干涉她的情感。
2. Expression: have it both ways
Explanation: To have both of two incompatible things. (同时兼顾两种不相容的事情,两者兼顾,左右逢源)
Example:I know you love ice cream, but you can't eat it every day and lose weight—you just can't have it both ways.
我知道你喜欢冰淇淋,但你不能每天都吃又在减肥——你不可能两全其美。
John wants the security of marriage and the freedom of being single. He wants to have it both ways.
约翰既想要婚姻的安全感又想要单身的自由感,他想两全其美。
You 'll have to decide whether you want to stay with your sister or you want to go on holiday. You can not have it both ways.
你必须决定是跟姐姐在家还是去度假,你不能两件事情都去做。
If you are really in love with your wife, you should be in support of her and leave it alone that you are always holding different ideas. You can’t have it both ways.
如果你要是真爱你的妻子,你不要在乎你们总是持有不同的想法而应该去支持她的想法,你总不能两者兼顾吧。
3. Expression: know one’s numbers
Explanation: To understand or know someone or something well enough to anticipate what they will do. (知道某人的底细,知道某人的真面目)
Example: A: Actually I don’t want to get in her hair.
实际上,我并不想惹她生气。
B: That sounds more like it. You cannot always enrage your wife. By the way, do you think she knows your past?
这还差不多,你不能总是惹老婆生气。顺便问一声,她知道你的过去吗?
A: My past?
我的过去?
B: Well, you don’t need to lie to me. I just warn you if she happens to know your numbers and she might depart from you.
嗯,你没有必要对我隐瞒。我知道想提醒你——如果她知道了你的底细,或许会离开你的。
A: I know what you mean. But she’ll never have the chance to know about it.
我知道你的意思,但是她没有机会知道那一切的。