陈豪在北京的ABC美国公司工作。他上班中间休息,跟美国同事Amy一起下楼喝茶。
(Office ambience)
C: Amy, 你干嘛老看我的脚啊?
A: I'm sorry. I just couldn't help noticing that you aren't wearing socks today.
C: 天儿太热了,不穿袜子还凉快点儿。
A: Personally, that might be all right, but professionally that's a bad decision.
C: 为什么?我见过很多人上班都不穿袜子的。
A: However, at ABC Company, professional dress is important for our corporate image.
C: 我上班穿西装,打领带,这还不够吗?
A: No. Would you consider not wearing a shirt with your coat and tie?
C: 我当然不会光着膀子穿西装打领带了。
A: Then you shouldn't consider wearing your shoes without socks. If your boss Mr. Jones sees you, he will not be pleased.
C: 那可坏了。我可我没带袜子。这怎么办呀?
A: Avoid Mr. Jones at all cost. Then buy some socks when you go out for lunch today. There's a department store right around the corner.
C: 你说得对,我得先躲着点儿老板,中午吃饭的时候赶紧去商店买袜子穿上。I will see you later.
MC: 午饭后,陈豪找到Amy.
A: Chen Hao, did you find any socks?
C: 我正准备穿上呢!天儿热,所以我买了两双白袜子,起码比深颜色的袜子凉快点儿。
A: Oh dear.
C: 怎么了?
A: White socks are inappropriate for corporate dress. They are more for athletic wear and outdoor attire.
C: 啊?白袜子是跑步打球穿的,不是上班穿的。怎么这么多讲究呀!好在我还买了一双深色的。服务员一直向我推销高腰儿的,就是可以拉到小腿肚儿上来的那一种。我觉得太热,没买。
A: Oh dear.
C: 又怎么了?
A: You should have listened to the salesman. Short socks just won't do in the business environment.
C: 那为什么?
A: It's because when you sit down and cross your legs in short socks, you expose everyone around you to the sight of your hairy legs.
C: Amy, 我从来没想到穿袜子还有这么多讲究。
A: Your business attire is extremely important "right down to your socks".
C: 这么说,我穿成什么样儿也会影响到公司形象了。看来我下班还得再去买袜子,Amy,你陪我去吧,完了事儿我请你吃饭。
A: Thank you. I'll look forward to that.
C: Amy,你能不能再告诉我一下上班要穿什么样的袜子。这样我心里就有数了。
A: Avoid white socks and short socks. The right sock in business is the one that covers your calf and matches your shoes and pants.