My Homeland, My Dear Homeland
祖国啊,我亲爱的祖国
I am an old, broken-down water-wheel by your river bank,
我是你河边上破旧的老水车,
Creaking out my weary songs for hundreds of years:
数百年来纺着疲惫的歌;
I am the smoke-blackened miner’s lamp on your forehead,
我是你额上熏黑的矿灯,
Lighting your way in the underground tunnel of history;
照你在历史的隧洞里蜗行摸索;
I am the blighted rice sprout, the ill-kept highway;
我是干瘪的稻穗;是失修的路基;
The barge grounded on the shoals
是淤滩上的驳船
Its towline cut more deeply into
把纤绳深深
The flesh of your shoulders.
勒进你的肩膊,
O my homeland!
——祖国啊!
I am poverty.
我是贫困,
I am sorrow.
我是悲哀,
I am your pained hope
我是你祖祖辈辈
Generation after generation
痛苦的希望啊,
Flowers from the sleeves of flying apsaras, *
是“飞天”袖间
Not touching the earth for eons.
千百年来未落到地面的花朵;
O my motherland!
——祖国啊!
I am your newest ideal
我是你簇新的理想,
Lately freed from the web of myth;
刚从神话的蛛网里挣脱;
I am your lotus seed germinating beneath the snow quilt.
我是你雪被下古莲的胚芽;
Your tear-stained dimples.
我是你挂着眼泪的笑涡;
I am the freshly-painted starting line,
我是新刷出的雪白的起跑线;
The crimson dawn
是绯红的黎明
That’s bursting forth.
正在喷薄;
O my homeland!
——祖国啊!
I am one of your ten-thousand millions,
我是你十亿分之一,
The sum total of your nine-million-six-hundred-thousand square kilometers.
是你九百六十万平方的总和;
With your bosom covered with wounds
你以伤痕累累的乳房
You nourish me,
喂养了
I who am bewildered, thoughtful, and ready to erupt.
迷惘的我,深思的我,沸腾的我;
Now receive
那就从我的血肉之躯上
From my flesh and blood
去取得
Your riches, your glory, and your liberty.
你的富饶,你的荣光,你的自由;
O my homeland,
——祖国啊,
My dear homeland.
我亲爱的祖国!