Conversation Two
对话二
W: Hello, I'm here with Frederick.
女:大家好,今天我要和弗雷德里克聊聊。
Now Fred, you went to university in Canada?
弗雷德里克,你是在加拿大念的大学?
M: Yeah, that's right.
男:是的。
W: OK, and you have very strong views about universities in Canada. Could you please explain?
女:好的,那你很了解加拿大的大学。你能介绍一下吗?
M: Well, we don't have private universities in Canada. They're all public.
男:加拿大没有私立大学,全是公立的。
All the universities are owned by the government, so there is the Ministry of Education in charge of creating the curriculum for the universities
所有大学都是政府运营的,加拿大教育部负责大学课程的设置,
and so there is not much room for flexibility.
所以没有太多灵活变通的空间。
Since it's a government operated institution, things don't move very fast.
大学是政府运营的机构,事情进展的速度不会太快。
If you want something to be done, then their staff do not have so much incentive to help you because he's a worker for the government.
如果你想做件事,工作人员没有太大的积极性去帮助你,因为他是为政府工作的。
So I don't think it's very efficient.
我认为这样就导致效率不太高。
However, there are certain advantages of public universities, such as the fees being free. You don't have to pay for your education.
不过公立大学也有优点,比如学费免费。你不用交教育费用。
But the system isn't efficient, and it does not work that well.
不过这种体系不仅效率低,而且效果不太好。
W: Yeah, I can see your point, but in the United States we have many private universities, and I think they are large bureaucracies also.
女:我明白你的观点,我们美国有很多私立大学,我认为私立大学也是庞大的官僚机构。
Maybe people don't act that much differently, because it's the same thing working for a private university.
工作人员的行为看起来没什么不同,因为为私立大学工作没什么不一样的。
They get paid for their job. I don't know if they're that much more motivated to help people.
他们通过工作获得薪水。我不知道他们在帮助别人时是否有积极性。
Also, we have a problem in the United States that usually only wealthy kids go to the best schools and it's kind of a problem actually.
美国的问题是,只有有钱人家的孩子才能去最好的学校上学,这是问题所在。
M: I agree with you. I think it's a problem because you're not giving equal access to education to everybody.
男:我同意你的看法。我认为这的确是个问题,因为这样没有让所有人享有同等的受教育权利。
It's not easy, but having only public universities also might not be the best solution.
这个问题不容易解决,不过我觉得只设有公立大学而没有私立大学可能并不是最好的解决方法。
Perhaps we can learn from Japan where they have a system of private and public universities.
或许我们可以像日本学习,他们既有公立大学又有私立大学的教育体系。
Now, in Japan, public universities are considered to be the best.
日本的公立大学被认为是最好的学校。
W: Right. It's the exact opposite in the United States.
女:是的。这与美国的情况完全相反。
M: So, as you see, it's very hard to say which one is better.
男:可见,很难说哪种体系更好。
W: Right, a good point.
女:对,你说的没错。
Questions 5 to 8 are based on the conversation you have just heard.
问题5-8是基于刚才你所听到的这段对话的。
Question 5: What does the woman want Frederick to talk about?
问题5:这位女士想让弗雷德里克聊聊什么?
Question 6: What does the man say about the curriculum in Canadian universities?
问题6:对于加拿大大学的课程,男士都说了些什么?
Question 7: On what point do the speakers agree?
问题7:两位说话者都赞同的观点是什么?
Question 8: What point does the man make at the end of the conversation?
问题8:对话最后男士得出了什么结论?
译文属可可原创,仅供学习和交流使用,未经允许不得转载