Conversation 2
对话2
Our guest on today's Book Talk is John Black, the author of the new bestseller, Retire Early.
我们今天的“图书谈话”的嘉宾是约翰·布莱克,他是最新畅销书《早早退休》的作者。
Thanks for having me on the show, Lisa.
谢谢你邀请我参加节目,丽莎。
John, your book is getting a lot of attention, partly because you write that most people can retire by 40. Is that realistic?
约翰,你的书很受关注,部分原因是你写道,大多数人可以在40岁退休。这现实吗?
Definitely. When researching this book, I interviewed hundreds of people who retired by 40.
当然。在为这本书做研究时,我采访了数百名40岁就退休的人。
Okay, but how much money does a person need to retire? I've read articles recommending one million dollars as a good figure for retirement.
好的,但是一个人需要多少钱才能退休呢?我读过一些文章,推荐100万美元作为一个不错的退休数字。
While most financial planners do give numbers, I don't think that's useful, as people are living in different areas with different costs of living, and have different needs and wants, which is why I suggest that people aim for financial independence.
虽然大多数理财规划师会给出具体的数字,但我认为这没有用,因为人们生活在不同的地区,生活成本不同,需求和欲望也不同,这就是为什么我建议人们以经济独立为目标。
What do you mean by financial independence?
你说的经济独立是什么意思?
Having investment income that's greater than monthly expenses.
投资收益大于每月支出。
That sounds risky to me. What if an accident happens or you get ill and need medical treatment? Shouldn't people have extra cash for emergencies?
我觉得这听起来很冒险。如果发生意外或者你生病需要治疗怎么办?人们不应该有多余的现金以备不时之需吗?
Too many people spend their lives working on jobs they hate because they're afraid, so I counsel people to take risks. Retirement doesn't have to be permanent, and if people need to, they can go back to work.
太多的人因为害怕而把一生都花在他们讨厌的工作上,所以我建议人们去冒险。退休并不一定是永久的,如果人们需要,他们可以回去工作。
But it's not always easy to get back into the workforce after an extended absence.
但是在长时间的休假后,重新回到工作岗位并不总是那么容易。
True, but if you keep current with your skills, you will be attracted to employers.
没错,但是如果你能跟上技术的发展,你对雇主来说就是有吸引力的。
Maybe, but how can anyone save enough to retire by 40 when most people can't retire at 60?
也许吧,但是当大多数人都不能在60岁退休的时候,人们怎么能在40岁之前攒够退休的钱呢?
Simple, by cutting housing, food, and transport expenses, and investing half your monthly income.
很简单,削减住房、食物和交通费用,把你每月收入的一半用于投资。
That sounds impossible.
这听起来不可能。
I admit it's difficult, but it has worked for thousands.
我承认这很难,但已经有几千人做到了。
Questions 12 to 15 are based on the conversation you have just heard.
请根据你刚刚听到的对话回答8 - 11题。
Question 12: What do we learn about the man's book published recently?
问题12. 关于男 士最近出版的书, 我们了解到什么?
Question 13: What do the articles the woman read recommend?
问题13. 女士读过的文章提供 了什么建议
Question 14: What does the man say about retirement?
问题14. 关于退休, 男士说了什么?
Question 15: How does the man say his proposal about retirement can be carried out?
问题15. 关于男士提出的退休的建议,他说如何实施?