手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 在线广播 > VOA慢速英语 > VOA慢速-词汇掌故 > 正文

"When in Rome..."的时候该怎么办呢?

编辑:Daisy   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet
  


扫描二维码进行跟读打分训练

And now, Words and Their Stories, from VOA Learning English.

您现在收听的是VOA慢速英语《词汇掌故》节目。

One of the best things about traveling to a new country is learning about new traditions and customs.

去一个新的国家旅行最好的事情之一就是了解新的传统和习俗。

They can be very different from our own.

它们可能与我们自己的截然不同。

When visiting a foreign county, it is smart to follow the local social rules and customs of the people who live there.

访问异国他乡时,明智之举是遵守当地居民的社会规则和风俗习惯。

This can make your stay easier and more enjoyable.

这可以让您在旅行期间更轻松、更愉快。

Today we talk about fitting in with the way local people do things.

今天,我们谈论的是如何适应当地人的做事方式。

We talk about an expression that goes all the way back to ancient Rome: When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

我们要聊的一个表达可以追溯到古罗马:When in Rome, do as the Romans do。

This expression means that when we visit a place, we should follow the customs and norms of that place.

这个短语的意思是,当我们参观一个地方时,我们应该遵循那个地方的习俗和规范。

This expression shows an attitude or mindset: You are willing to change your way of doing things to fit in with those around you.

这个表达表达了一种态度或心态:你愿意改变你的做事方式,以适应你周围的人。

The place does not have to be a new country. It can simply be a new situation or environment.

这个地方不一定是一个新的国家。它可以仅仅是一个新的地方或环境。

For example, let’s say you usually speak very loudly.

例如,假设你通常说话声音很大。

But when visiting an art museum or library, you whisper in a low voice. You follow the rules of that place.

但在参观美术馆或图书馆时,你会低声低语。你要遵守那个地方的规则。

When in Rome … English speakers often shorten the expression to “when in Rome…” This expression has another meaning.

在罗马的时候…英语母语者经常把这个短语缩写为“When in Roman…”这个短语还有另一层意思。

When you are in an unfamiliar situation, you should follow the lead of those who know the rules.

当你遇到不熟悉的情况时,应该听从那些知道规则的人的领导。

These people know how to behave with others. They know how to play the game.

这些人知道如何与人相处。他们知道怎么玩这个游戏。

They know how to work within the system. They don’t do things differently. They blend in.

他们知道如何在体制内运作。他们不会让自己别具一格。他们会融入进去。

But what does Rome have to do with following other people’s customs?

但是罗马和遵循其他人的习俗有什么关系呢?

Several websites describe how the expression may have begun.

几个网站描述了这个表达可能的起源。

And if they are correct, this expression is very old.

如果这些说法没错,那这个表达就非常古老。

Here is how the story goes: During the time of the Roman Empire more than 1500 years ago, a Christian leader, Saint Augustine, moved from Rome to Milan.

故事是这样的:在1500多年前的罗马帝国时期,基督教领袖圣奥古斯丁从罗马搬到了米兰。

Once in the new city, he found some parts of religious life to be different.

一到新城市,他发现宗教生活的某些部分是不一样的。

For example, in Rome he fasted, or did not eat, on Saturday. But in Milan, people did not fast on Saturday.

例如,在罗马,他在周六禁食或不吃东西。但在米兰,人们在周六没有禁食。

Another church leader, Saint Ambrose, gave him some advice.

另一位教会领袖圣安布罗斯给了他一些建议。

St. Ambrose said that when he goes to Rome he fasts on Saturdays.

圣安布罗斯说,他去罗马时,会在周六禁食。

But when he is in Milan, he does not. Problem solved.

但在米兰时,他周六就不禁食。问题解决了。

This good advice, or proverb, has survived over the years.

这句忠告或谚语多年来一直流传了下来。

Some word experts say it first appeared in English around 500 years ago.

一些词汇专家说,这个词最早出现在英语中是在大约500年前。

But we still use it to this day -- either to give advice or to describe a situation where we have to change our behavior to fit in.

但直到今天,我们仍在使用它--要么是用来提供建议,要么是用来描述我们必须改变自己的行为以适应的情况。

Let’s hear another example.

我们来听另一个例子。

How was your trip to see your brother’s family?

你去看望你哥哥家人的旅行怎么样?

It was really fun. Different but fun.

真的很有趣。不同但有趣。

How was it different?

有什么不同?

Well, they live in the country and love to hunt and fish. So, that’s what I did all week. It was great!

嗯,他们住在乡村,喜欢打猎和钓鱼。所以,我这一周都在干这些事。超棒的!

I am so surprised. I didn’t think you were the outdoorsy type.

我很惊讶。我以为你不擅长户外运动型呢。

I’m not! But when in Rome …

确实不擅长!但在罗马时...

With that attitude, it’s no wonder you had a fun trip!

有这样的态度,难怪你旅行得很开心!

And that’s all the time we have for this Words and Their Stories.

以上就是本期《词汇掌故》的全部内容。

Until next time, I’m Anna Matteo.

下次见,我是安娜·马特奥。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
whisper ['wispə]

想一想再看

n. 低语,窃窃私语,飒飒的声音
vi. 低声

 
willing ['wiliŋ]

想一想再看

adj. 愿意的,心甘情愿的

 
smart [smɑ:t]

想一想再看

adj. 聪明的,时髦的,漂亮的,敏捷的,轻快的,整洁的

 
environment [in'vaiərənmənt]

想一想再看

n. 环境,外界

 
social ['səuʃəl]

想一想再看

adj. 社会的,社交的
n. 社交聚会

 
blend [blend]

想一想再看

v. 混合
n. 混合物

 
unfamiliar ['ʌnfə'miljə]

想一想再看

adj. 不熟悉的

 
saint [seint]

想一想再看

n. 圣人,圣徒
vt. 把 ... 封为圣人

 
shorten ['ʃɔ:tn]

想一想再看

v. 弄短,变短

联想记忆
proverb ['prɔvə:b]

想一想再看

n. 谚语,格言
vt. 用谚语表达

联想记忆

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。