Hello! This week on Ask a Teacher, we answer a question from Shinji in Japan.
大家好! 本周《名师答疑》,我们回答来自日本的信治的一个问题。
I am unsure about how to use "imitate" and "pretend."
我不确定怎么用imitate(模仿)和pretend(假装)。
For example, I see such sentences as, "Does your child like pretend play?" referring to acting like a superhero, for instance.
例如,我看到这个句子“你的孩子喜欢假扮游戏吗?”,它表示假装自己是超级英雄等等。
But is it wrong to say, "Does your child like imitation play?"
但是说“你的孩子喜欢模仿游戏吗?”就是错误的吗?
Shinji, Japan
信治,日本
Dear Shinji, we have all watched children as they use their imagination during play.
亲爱的信治,我们都看过孩子们在游戏中发挥他们的想象力。
For example, a child may pick up a stick and use it as a sword, pretending to be a hero.
例如,一个孩子可能会拿起一根棍子,把它当剑用,假装是英雄。
The simple answer to your question is no, it is not wrong to use "imitation" as an adjective with the noun "play."
对你的问题的简单回答是"没有错",把imitation用作形容词,与名词play连用并没有错。
But there is a difference in meaning.
但意义上是有区别的。
Let us look at the two words.
让我们来看看这两个词。
When someone pretends, they are acting as if something were true.
当某人假装时,他们表现得就像是真的一样。
An example is the child who takes an empty shoe box and puts a doll into it.
比如一个小孩拿了一个空的鞋盒,然后把一个洋娃娃放进去。
The child is pretending as they push it around the floor, saying, "This is her car."
小孩推着鞋盒在地上四处移动,并说"这是她的车",这就是假装。
When children imitate, they are acting as if they were another person, such as an adult in their life.
当孩子们模仿时,他们表现得就像他们是另一个人,比如他们生活中的成年人。
The child who holds a doll and sings a gentle song to it is imitating a loving parent.
小孩抱着一个洋娃娃,对着它唱温柔的歌,这就是在模仿慈爱的父母。
The child puts the doll down and covers it, saying, "My baby is going to sleep now. Please be quiet."
孩子放下洋娃娃,盖住它,说:"我的宝宝现在要睡觉了。请安静一点。"
The child is both imitating a parent and pretending that the doll is a living thing.
孩子既是在模仿父母,又是在假装娃娃是个活生生的人。
Do you have a child who plays in this way?
你有这样玩耍的孩子吗?
You may be interested to know that experts say it is very important for children to learn by imitating what they see around them and pretending with toys and other objects.
你可能会有兴趣知道,专家说,对孩子来说,模仿他们看到的东西和用玩具和其他物品假装,这是一种重要的学习方式。
Both help them use their imagination.
两者都能帮助他们发挥想象力。
Another word for this kind of play is "make-believe."
这种游戏的另一个词是make-believe。
One way to help a child develop their imagination is to provide dress-up clothes and toys that look like tools and household objects.
帮助孩子发展想象力的一种方法是给他们提供装扮服装和看起来像工具和家居用品的玩具。
Experts also suggest it is good to play along with whatever story the child imagines and talk about what is happening to help develop their language skills.
专家还建议,无论孩子想象什么故事,都可以跟着他们的思路演,去谈论发生了什么,这是帮助他们发展语言技能的好办法。
Shinji, I hope you have fun taking part in pretend play with the children in your life.
信治,希望你和身边的孩子们能玩假扮游戏玩得开心。
You can even see adults playing at being someone else or being in another time at historical fairs and museums.
在历史展会和博物馆里,你还能看到成年人假装自己是另一个人或生活在另一个时代。
And that's Ask a Teacher. I'm Jill Robbins.
以上就是本期《名师答疑》,吉尔·罗宾斯为您播报。