This week we received a question from Evewero in Nigeria.
本周,我们收到了来自尼日利亚的埃夫韦罗的提问。
What is the difference between "please" and "kindly."
“please”和“kindly”有什么区别?
Some ... use the two words together, e.g. "please kindly assist." - Evewero, Nigeria
有些人……同时使用这两个单词。例如,“请友好地提供帮助。”——尼日利亚,埃夫韦罗
Dear Evewero, Thank you kindly for writing to us.
尊敬的埃夫韦罗,衷心感谢您写信给我们。
"Kindly" can be an adverb, a word that usually describes a verb.
“Kindly”可以是副词,通常用来描述动词。
If your teacher says, "Kindly hand in your homework," she is using kindly as an adverb to make a polite request.
假设老师说:“请把作业交上来,” 她是在用副词“kindly”来礼貌地提出要求。
Another way to use the word as an adverb is:
另一种将其用作副词的方式是:
The animal doctor always treats our pets kindly.
“兽医总是善待我们的宠物。”
"Kindly" is also an adjective. If someone helped you at the post office, you might say:
“Kindly”也是形容词。如果有人在邮局帮助了您,您可能会说:
A kindly man helped me mail my letter.
“一个好心人帮我邮寄了我的信。”
There, kindly describes "man" which is a noun. You could also use the word "nice" to express the same idea.
这里,“kindly”用来形容名词“man”。你还可使用“nice”一词来表达相同的意思。
"Please" can be an adverb or a verb. It also can be used to make a request politely:
“Please”可以是副词或动词。它还可以用来礼貌地发出请求:
Would you please pass the salt?
“请把盐递给我好吗?”
Please give me your homework.
“请把你的作业给我。”
And, Americans almost always use "please" when making a request in the form of a statement as opposed to a question:
而且,美国人几乎都是使用“please”来提出请求,以陈述而非提问的形式。
Give me two tickets, please.
“请给我两张票。”
Please, sir, help us!
“先生,请帮助我们!”
I hope this answer "pleases" you - there, I used it as a verb.
我希望这个答案“让您满意”,这里,我将“please”用作动词。
"Kindly" visit our website again for more lessons!
请再次访问我们的网站以获取更多课程!
And that's Ask a Teacher for this week.
以上就是本周名师答疑的全部内容。
I'm Jill Robbins.
我是吉尔·罗宾斯。