Hello. Did you know that 1.3 billion people in the world have a disability?
你好。你知道吗,世界上有13亿人患有残疾?
That's one in six.
也就是六个人中就有一个残障人士。
So the chances of you meeting somebody with a disability in your life is very high.
所以你在生活中遇到残障人士的概率是非常高的。
So that's why it's important to learn inclusive language so you don't make somebody feel upset or excluded.
这就是为什么学习包容性语言很重要,这样你就不会让别人感到难过或被排斥。
Mini English Lessons
迷你英语课
So today, I'm going to go through four language points to help you talk about people with disabilities.
今天我将讲解四个语言知识点,帮助大家了解如何谈论残障人士。
Let's start.
让我们开始吧。
Number one, it's important to put the person first and the disability second.
第一,把人放在第一位,把残疾放在第二位,这个很重要。
So we wouldn't say a disabled person because it sounds like the person is defined by their disability.
我们不会说“残疾人”,因为这听起来像这个人被残疾定义了。
Instead, we would say "a person with a disability" because we're putting the person first.
相反,我们会说“有残疾的人”,因为我们把人放在第一位。
Number two, don't use the words "mad" or "crazy" when talking about people with mental health problems.
第二,当谈论有心理健康问题的人时,不要使用“疯了”或“疯狂”这样的词。
Instead, use the phrases "a person with a mental health condition" or "a person with learning difficulties."
相反,使用“患有心理健康问题的人”或“有学习困难的人”这样的短语。
Number three, learn the word "impairment."
第三,学会“障碍”这个单词。
So instead of saying a blind person, you can say a person with a visual impairment.
你可以说“有视力障碍的人”,而不是说“盲人”。
Instead of saying a deaf person, you can say a person with a hearing impairment.
你可以说“有听力障碍的人”,而不是说“聋子”。
Number four, don't use the phrase "suffers from" because this has the negative connotation that the person is in a hopeless situation.
第四,不要使用“遭受”这个短语,因为它有负面含义,暗示这个人处于绝望的境地。
Instead, it's better to use the word "has".
相反,最好使用“有”这个词。
So we wouldn't say a person that "suffers from" cerebral palsy.
我们不会说“遭受脑瘫的人”。
Instead, we would say a person that "has" cerebral palsy.
相反,我们会说“患有脑瘫的人”。
Following on from this, when talking about a person in a wheelchair, we wouldn't say "a wheelchair-bound person."
接下来,当我们谈论一个坐轮椅的人时,我们不会说“困在轮椅上的人”。
Instead, we would say "a wheelchair user."
相反,我们会说“轮椅使用者”。
So let's review.
让我们回顾一下。
Remember, put the person first and the disability second.
记住,要把人放在第一位,把残疾放在第二位。
Don't use the words mad or crazy.
不要使用“疯了”或“疯狂”这样的词。
Learn the word impairment.
学习“障碍”这个词。
Don't use suffers from.
不要使用“遭受”。
Let's finish with a quiz.
最后来一个小测试。
Which of these phrases is acceptable?
下面这些短语中哪一个是可以接受的?
Number one, a handicapped person.
第一,一个残废人。
Number two, a weak person.
第二,一个体弱的人。
Number three, a person with a disability.
第三,一个有残疾的人士。
And the correct answer is... a person with a disability, because we put the person first and the disability second.
正确答案是……一个有残疾的人士,因为我们把人放在第一位,把残疾放在第二位。
Also, "handicapped" and "weak" are not acceptable words to use when talking about people with disabilities.
此外,在谈论有残疾的人时,“残废的”和“体弱的”这两个词是不可接受的。
Having said all this, you shouldn't get stressed out or worried when using these phrases.
说了这么多,当你使用这些短语时,应该不会感到有压力或不放心了。
It's just important to make the effort.
重要的是要做出尊重残障人士的努力。