Helloooooo out there! It's me, Leo, howlin' at my wolf buddies. Oh, and at my people friends too.
大家好!是我,里奥,在对我的狼朋友吼叫。哦,还有我的人类朋友。
Want to know what I'm howling about? How cool wolves are. And what we can do to save them.
想知道我在吼什么吗?狼多酷啊。以及我们能做些什么来拯救它们。
From nose to tail, wolves can be as tall as a basketball player.
从头到尾,狼可以说和篮球运动员一样高。
They're the largest wild canines in the world. That's right, I said canine, as in dog.
它们是世界上最大的野生犬科动物。没错,我说的是犬,就像狗一样。
You know, those super fluffy dogs with bows in their hair?
就是那些毛绒绒的、头上戴着蝴蝶结的狗?
Well, they're all a part of the same family.
它们确实是同一科的成员。
And just like a family, wolves hang around in packs.
就像一家人一样,狼外出是成群结队的。
They communicate with each other by howling.
它们通过嚎叫相互交流。
Sometimes a howl can mean, "Hey, what's up?" but other times they're saying, "Back off."
有时嚎叫的意思是“嘿,怎么了?”,有时意思则是“退后”。
Each member of a wolf pack helps take care of each other.
狼群里的每个成员都互相照顾。
They eat, sleep, hunt and defend their territory together. They're together 24/7.
它们一起进食、睡觉、捕猎和保卫自己的领地。它们24小时都在一起。
If I had to spend that much time with my sister... yeesh.
如果我不得不和我妹妹在一起那么长时间...哎呀。
In a pack, each wolf has a role in the family.
狼群中的每只狼在家族中都有自己的角色。
The parents are the leaders, followed by mid-ranking adult wolves.
父母是领导者,其次是中等等级的成年狼。
Rank isn't about a wolf's size, but its personality.
等级与狼的体型大小无关,而与它的个性有关。
The largest wolf in the pack could end up at the bottom if he's too quiet, the class clown, or an obedient follower.
如果狼群中最大只的狼太安静,它可能会被排在最后,成为班级的小丑,或者是一个听话的追随者。
This order determines who breeds, who eats first, who sleeps where and who babysits the pups.
这个顺序决定了谁繁殖,谁先吃,谁睡在哪里,谁照顾幼崽。
Did you know that when wolves are born, the pups are the same size and weight of a can of soda?
你知道吗,狼刚出生的时候,小狼的大小和体重和一罐汽水差不多。
I wonder if they come in a six-pack?
我想知道它们是六打装的吗?
You can usually spot a wolf den by the pup's chew toys.
通常情况下,你可以通过幼崽的咀嚼玩具发现狼窝。
Like bones and sticks, scattered all over the place and covered in tiny bite marks.
比如骨头和树枝,到处都是,还布满了咬痕。
Wolves have lived on almost every continent on our planet for hundreds of thousands of years.
在几乎地球的每一块大陆上,狼都存在了几十万年。
But even though wolves are fierce creatures, some are in danger of going extinct.
但是,尽管狼是凶猛的动物,有些仍有灭绝的危险。
Throughout history, wolves have been poisoned, trapped and shot to clear land for agriculture and housing.
纵观历史,狼被毒害、诱捕和射杀,以清理土地用于农业和住房。
Until the 1970's, wolves were on a path to being entirely wiped out in the United States, Europe and Asia.
直到20世纪70年代,狼在美国、欧洲和亚洲都濒临灭绝。
But the good news is that, thanks to people like us, people shouting from the rooftops about how important wolves are to our ecosystems, wolf populations are making a comeback.
但好消息是,多亏了像我们这样在屋顶上大声疾呼狼对我们的生态系统有多重要的人,狼的数量正在恢复。
I made these cool wolf masks out of paper mache. Hey, I think I have enough for my whole pack.
我用纸浆做了这些很酷的狼面具。我想够我的整个“狼群”用的了。
Next time we hang out, we're going to try eating like wolves. Well, not raw meat.
下次我们出去玩的时候,我们要试着像狼一样吃东西。好吧,不是生肉。
But my parents will grill something and then we'll eat it with our bare hands tear into it with our teeth.
但是我父母会烤一些东西,然后我们会徒手吃,用牙齿撕咬。
We'll really "wolf" it down, eh?
我们会狼吞虎咽的,是吧?
You know what else would be so fun?
你知道还有什么有趣的东西吗?
We could make a den for the whole pack. All we'd need are some branches, cardboard boxes and sheets.
我们可以给整个“狼群”做个窝。只需要一些树枝,纸板箱和床单就可以了。
The only rule would be: no chewing on the furniture.
唯一的规则是:不要咬家具。
Now, it's your turn to howl. What are you going to doooooo?
现在,轮到你嚎叫了。你要做什么?