Oh no Hayley. Why are you crying? Is the canteen out of jacket potatoes?
哦,不,海莉。你为什么在哭啊?食堂里没有烤土豆了吗?
Did someone tell you that unicorns don't exist?
有人告诉你独角兽并不存在了吗?
What's wrong then?
那是怎么了?
Well, it all starts underground.
好吧,一切都要从地下开始。
Life for an onion is pretty sweet when they're down there in the dirt.
洋葱在泥土里的生活是很甜蜜的。
Except when creepy crawlies come by wanting a nibble. Onions don't like that at all.
除非有爬虫过来想咬一口。洋葱可不喜欢这样。
Luckily, they've got a secret plan to keep the bugs away.
幸运的是,它们有一个赶走虫子的秘密计划。
When the bugs bite the onion, it releases a chemical which stings really bad. So the creepy crawlies will stay away.
当虫子咬洋葱时,洋葱会释放出一种化学物质,让虫子感到非常刺痛。这样它们就会爬开了。
This chemical is called syn-propanethial-s-oxide. Try saying that ten-times fast.
这种化学物质被称为丙硫醛-S-氧化物。试着快读十遍。
When we cut into onions to cook them, the same chemical is released into the air, when it reaches your eyes, it makes them sting.
当我们切洋葱进行烹饪时,同样的化学物质会被释放到空气中,而当这种化学物质来你的眼前时,会让你的眼睛刺痛。
We cry because our eyes are trying to flush the chemical out of our bodies so that the pain stops.
我们哭泣的原因是我们的眼睛试图将这种化学物质排出体外,这样疼痛就会停止。
But how can we cook with onions without crying into our tea? Well, here's a few tips.
但我们该如何避免在做洋葱时痛哭流涕呢?好吧,下面是一些建议。
Try putting your onion in the fridge before you want to cut it.
可以尝试先把洋葱放在冰箱里,然后再切它。
When it's cold, it takes longer for the chemical reaction to happen. 30 minutes should do it.
当洋葱很凉的时候,化学反应需要更长的时间才能发生。放30分钟就可以了。
Put a silver spoon in your mouth. When the chemical gets to the spoon, it binds with a metal before it reaches your eyes.
把一个银汤匙放在嘴里。当化学物质触碰到勺子时,它会在到达你的眼睛之前与金属发生反应。
Or wear some very cool goggles like me.
或者像我一样戴上一个很酷的护目镜。